Extended Përs Not Wanting to Show Up?

I think it's happening like it did with Override

Anyways, I'm playing an Override port on Nova, and for some experimentation, I wanted to add a përs. The Override's last përs is Disco Bison whos RID is 339, I was planning to add a Voinian Dreadnought whos RID is 340. I already had a pilot, and when I implimented this in, it won't show up at all....ever. This was even when I had it restricted to one system. I decided to change the RID of my përs by using 128, and it finally showed up. Does this mean that Nova hasn't fixed the issue of making any extended përs activate without the need to restart a new pilot? I think it might cause some problems in future developments. This was the same kind of problem I had when I created FOTVE, and I was forced to do something I didn't want to do, make përs to replace some of the existing ones.

Yup. Nova hasn't fixed that bug. If you're on a Mac, there's a utility that can resurrect dead përses, but I don't think there's anything similar for Windows.

Edwards

I'll have to check that, but I'm hoping that this kind of thing will be fixed in the next version 1.0.10 in time. When you think about it, technically, no one should have to resort to using external programs just so one can activate an extended përs in any extension plug-ins, or developers be forced to replace existing përs.

View PostZacha Pedro, on Jun 1 2005, 05:26 PM, said:

Remember also that the engine has not been specifically made to handle the possibility of the scenario changing over the course of a pilot life, though it usually goes without too much problem. But sometimes using a plug with a pilot that has been created before the plug was loaded can give some odd problems. The first one being that, if you add new përses, they will never appear; technically they have been flagged as dead at pilot creation since they didn't exist. At the time of this writing, seant is crafting an utility to allow new përs to be activated, though you have to tell your users to use it. Another thing is that you should attempt to modify things the pilot owns or can own, be in, is running, etc... as little as possible, as it may cause unexpected problems and behaviors. The pilot file stores everything by ID, so things should change if the plug-in changes them, but there are a few exceptions (for instance, the list of weapons of a pilot won't be changed if the default weapons of his ship change). If you meet a problem with something the pilot is in relation to when the plug is loaded and that the plug changes, don't be surprised. For these reasons, your plug should usually be tested and played with new, virgin (yeah, right!) pilots, but there are a few exceptions.

For instance if you write a storyline extension people will usually play it with existing pilots, you should therefore test that it plays well with existing pilot files, or if that doesn't work, you should state that the plug should be played with a new pilot. It can be hard to give support to allow people to play with their pilots that that were just stuck with nothing to do at the point your plug allows new missions, but this is a popular feature, and it should be adequately tested it works if you don't tell it doesn't (and even if you tell it doesn't, be prepared to handle people complaining that it doesn't work well with their preexistant pilot).

Can't really say it's a bug since it's hardly supported in the first place.

I agree - this is not a bug. The game needs to record the status of all përses, whether alive or dead. However, if a përs does not exist when a pilot starts, then the game can hardly say they're alive, can they? Furthermore, you are not in any way forced to use an external program or to replace existing përs resources - the "New Pilot" button is right there on the main page.

@belthazar, on May 21 2006, 02:02 AM, said in Extended Përs Not Wanting to Show Up?:

Furthermore, you are not in any way forced to use an external program or to replace existing përs resources - the "New Pilot" button is right there on the main page.

Well, I meant that if you wanted the player to use an existing pilot at hand to play any extension plug-in you make.