Absolute Minimum question

stuck

I just downloaded Absolute Minimum. I want to build up from something instead of deleting all of my nova data files. However when I start up Nova everything loads just fine until the main screen. All the animations work I just cant click on anything and end up having to force quit. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem or if anyone knew what I might be doing wrong. I have currently put the file in both nova data and also tried it in just the plug-ins folder but same thing happens both time.

edit: Oh and I'm running OS 9.1 not sure if that makes a difference in anything.

This post has been edited by Sp3cies : 22 March 2006 - 08:34 PM

Check that the menu button slide-in animations are present. I know from experience that Nova on OS 9 will freeze as you describe if they are not. Also make sure the flickering "NOVA" animation at the top of the main screen is present.

Furthermore, Absolute Minimum is missing snd resource 129, which causes problems. In particular, EVN goes into x2 mode when certain sounds play. While this is not related to the problem you're having, I feel it's worth mentioning since it'll cause weird behavior. Just add a sound with that ID.

The slide in animations are present. The Nova one is not. I will go see what I can figure out with that.
Oh and I will check out the sound resource.

Thanks for your help and if I cant figure things out I will probably be back.

@sp3cies, on Mar 22 2006, 05:02 PM, said in Absolute Minimum question:

The slide in animations are present. The Nova one is not.

That would be the problem. The flickering Nova animation is one of only two items to be required for the main screen, the other being the button slide-in animations (although those are only required on OS9). Oddly, my absolutely un-touched copy of AbsoluteMinimum does contain those resources, and worked perfectly while I was using MacOS 9.

...I swear that that file changes its selection of resources every time you download it...
...Perhaps there's a bug in one or all of the .rez->npďf convertors?

Edwards

@edwards, on Mar 23 2006, 02:39 AM, said in Absolute Minimum question:

...I swear that that file changes its selection of resources every time you download it...

Edwards

It has been contaminated by the void. That's the only reasonable explanation.

Oh my Absolute Minimum contains those resources it just doesnt show them up on the main screen.
I was wondering why its needed though because Edwards Teacup TC doesnt have it and that works on my computer...

@sp3cies, on Mar 23 2006, 04:21 AM, said in Absolute Minimum question:

Oh my Absolute Minimum contains those resources it just doesnt show them up on the main screen.
I was wondering why its needed though because Edwards Teacup TC doesnt have it and that works on my computer...

Teacup TC most certainly does contain a main screen animation. The animation references a 1-pixel by 1-pixel two-frame rlë, and plays in the upper-left-hand corner of the screen, where it isn't visible. Nobody ever said it needed to be a full-size animation.

As for your copy of AbsoluteMinimum, if it has cicns 10000-10023, 15000-15001, 18000-18001, and 20000; shäns 128 and 895; and spďns 400, 500-504, 606, 608-610, 700, 800, 1000, and 3000, with 606 and 608-610 referencing PICTs/rlës with more than one frame, I have no idea what's wrong. Those are the only resources needed to load the game- any other crash is probably because of a mis-formed resource, or a bad reference.

Edwards

@edwards, on Mar 23 2006, 04:21 PM, said in Absolute Minimum question:

Teacup TC most certainly does contain a main screen animation. The animation references a 1-pixel by 1-pixel two-frame rlë, and plays in the upper-left-hand corner of the screen, where it isn't visible. Nobody ever said it needed to be a full-size animation.

The way I did it in EVO was just reference an existing PICT in the spin (doesn't matter what - I used 130 which is the small icon in the new pilot dialog), -1 mask (since it isn't used), 0x0 in a 1x2 grid. No wasted graphics resource 🙂
For the rollover you also need to specify a mask (must be different from the sprite else it crashes win nova) and set the size to the real size of the sprite in a 1x1 grid (size of mask doesn't matter). Provided the pic you used for the mask doesn't have any white you'll never see anything.

I suspect that Teacup actually makes a better absolute minimum than Absolute Minimum does, since Teacup is a functional plugin.

Ah so it doesnt have to be the nova logo it can be anything as long as its an animation...
I also managed to get AbsoluteMinimum to work, it was just that main screen animation. I will try to replace the main screen animation with something else later just to say I have done it I guess. For now however it works fine and I am happy with it.
Thanks for the help.

@edwards, on Mar 23 2006, 06:21 PM, said in Absolute Minimum question:

As for your copy of AbsoluteMinimum, if it has cicns 10000-10023(?), 15000-15001(?), 18000-18001(?), and 20000(?); shäns 128 and 895(?); and spďns 400(?), 500-504(?), 606(?), 608-610(?), 700(?), 800(?), 1000(?), and 3000(?), with 606 and 608-610 referencing PICTs/rlës with more than one frame, I have no idea what's wrong. Those are the only resources needed to load the game- any other crash is probably because of a mis-formed resource, or a bad reference.

Edwards

Everything is there. My copy also contains spďns 600-605, 607, and 650. When I start the game it says spďn resource 3033 not found. Does anyone know what this does? I can't seem to find it in the Nova files.

@lord-rama, on Mar 25 2006, 10:33 AM, said in Absolute Minimum question:

Everything is there. My copy also contains spďns 600-605, 607, and 650. When I start the game it says spďn resource 3033 not found. Does anyone know what this does? I can't seem to find it in the Nova files.

That sounds like there's a stray weapon trying to access a new sprite, but not finding it (spďn 3033 is in the range of weapon sprites, but is unused in the stock scenario). Are you absolutely positive that there aren't any other files in the Nova Files folder, and that there are no plug-ins installed? If that isn't the problem, try deleting the "last pilot" alias in the Pilots folder- sometimes stray resources leak in through pilot files. If that doesn't work, make a debuglog and post it here (to make a debuglog, place a text file named "debuglog.txt" in your Nova folder).

Edwards

@edwards, on Mar 25 2006, 11:38 AM, said in Absolute Minimum question:

That sounds like there's a stray weapon trying to access a new sprite, but not finding it (spďn 3033 is in the range of weapon sprites, but is unused in the stock scenario). Are you absolutely positive that there aren't any other files in the Nova Files folder, and that there are no plug-ins installed? If that isn't the problem, try deleting the "last pilot" alias in the Pilots folder- sometimes stray resources leak in through pilot files. If that doesn't work, make a debuglog and post it here (to make a debuglog, place a text file named "debuglog.txt" in your Nova folder).

Edwards

Ah, now I see. There are plug-ins in the folder. Silly me. :rolleyes:
Thanks.