Need more editors for windows

We need more

There is curently only one editor for windows. some one needs to make more editors for windows. mac has map editors and lots of other stuff but we only have evnew. it ok but can some on make or port some thing to windows. if some one gets me the sorce code for another editor i can recomple it even it makes mac type plugins you could just convert them over.

With the life span left in EVN the chances of a decent Win editor are slim to none.

Do it yourself.

And no, you couldn't just recompile the source from a Mac editor. Code isn't universal, no matter how many times Java zealots will tell you it is. There's all sorts of stuff to deal with besides compile times. If you want another Windows editor, you or another Windows player had better get working on one.

PS: You might need one of these, too.

Agreed. If you're such a wonderful programmer then get started on your own editor if you think the current options are insufficient. If it was as simple a matter as recompiling the source code from a Mac editor, do you not think someone would have done it by now?

I'm sure your clever suggestion will yield a bounty of new editors.

Of course, if I'm wrong, I'll have to go with what's been said, and tell you to get coding. Oh, and shorten your sig. You can't make Nova editors with a sig that long, it's actually not possible.

There is a windows map editor somewhere - "EVN Cartographer" or something I think. Don't know where to find it though.

Guy, on Mar 6 2006, 07:54 PM, said:

There is a windows map editor somewhere - "EVN Cartographer" or something I think. Don't know where to find it though.
View Post

yeah... the link's in my sig...
but I really don't recommend it for anything other than how not to make an editor.

Seriously, the source is included with the dl, look at it yourself, and fear it.

Artanis, on Mar 6 2006, 11:21 PM, said:

yeah... the link's in my sig...
but I really don't recommend it for anything other than how not to make an editor.

Seriously, the source is included with the dl, look at it yourself, and fear it.
View Post

I just used it to make a map for Genesis and it works okay. Couple of comments if you are going to use it. It doesn't do well beyond the number of systems (645 I think) that the stock nova uses. Second, I think there is a problem with the connections. If you have too many systems that are connected to each other...but not connected to the main body of the map...it will freak out on you...I have no idea why. And last I haven't got the Hypergate feature to work yet. Artanis, aren't you thinking of working on another cartographer in a better format than .net?

Anyway, I might pick up programming this summer if I have an opening for work. If I do I'll take a look at putting an ev editor for windows on my "to do list" but that is about the extend to which I can get involved in the recent future.

EVNew isn't bad. Comparing to MC, its good enough that you could make a TC with it. It just lacks map features and the option to just pick a weapon ID instead of typing them on on your own. It could also use some better tooltips. Beyond that, it does have ther advantage of giving you the resource numbers for ship descs and shipyard picks in the ship resource, and MC doesn't. EVNew just needs an update.

Swithich, on Mar 6 2006, 11:35 PM, said:

Artanis, aren't you thinking of working on another cartographer in a better format than .net?
View Post

Yeah, I am. I'm taking C++ classes right now.

.NET is a real easy learn, especially with GUI programs since you can have it generate that code automatically, but in every other way it seems limited.

I think that multiple editors mudies the waters somewhat. Why don't you ask the creator if you could improve EVNEW. That way we would all benefit from a single good project rather than two or three half decent ones.

I also don't currently have a problem with EVNEW. It gives me tooltips from the EVN Bible, so I don't have to trawl through that. I know it's not the most exciting looking product out there, but hey, it does the job and I haven't found a problem yet (apart from an occasional lack of info regarding some text boxes.

Just my two cents.

if i get the source for it i could add a few thinks but i don't have the code and don't know who to ask

This post has been edited by Trev_lite : 12 March 2006 - 06:29 PM

I'll get a copy of the source for you the next time I visit the proctologist.

Seriously, go search for 'EVNEW' on Google. I seem to remember apronsef saying that you could download the EVNEW source code.

EDIT 2: I even found you the site: http://www.aznt.com/EVN/EVNEW/ . Go to the very bottom.

This post has been edited by UE_Research & Development: 12 March 2006 - 07:18 PM

Azrtax hasn't updated his site for a long time: the 1.0.3 source cde is outdated, you should get the 1.0.4 source code at www.geocities.com/aprosenf/.

Like someone else said, another editor would make it annoying to pick one, and then you'd have to switch back and forth to do certain things that the other one couldn't do.

I think EVN is great. It needs a little update (I don't think it shows all the resources) but it's still 110% usable.