Question on planet pics...

just wondering...

I was working on terragen yesterday trying my darndest to make cool planet pics. Well, the thought then hit me. Why reinvent the wheel? I know there are tons of pics that people have made that would work. If only I could get them to donate to the tc for say a name in the credits...anyway just wondering what your thoughts are on this. I mean if people put all this time into terragen pics then why not use them? And I can spend my time writing storyline and missions instead of redoing, and redoing the same terragen pics.

I'm getting around my lack of landscaping skills, plus my desire to not have an endless sucession of 'just another Terragen pic' landing shots, by not having any at all. In landing descs very few mention another pristine environment unspoiled by human touch or plant so it just seems to me that another plain old terragen pic of a pristine environment is innapropriate.

I might have a few scenes I can donate. I'll look around tomorrow.

The pristine TG scene issue is a pretty big problem, but not every scene needs plant life... Of course the other option is to recruit a amazing artist to add in the stuff you need. Unfortunately finding one is extremely hard...

This post has been edited by Ragashingo : 15 February 2006 - 01:40 AM

Here's 20 TG pics if you'd like to use them

This post has been edited by Ragashingo : 15 February 2006 - 12:20 PM

rmx256, on Feb 14 2006, 06:22 PM, said:

I'm getting around my lack of landscaping skills, plus my desire to not have an endless sucession of 'just another Terragen pic' landing shots, by not having any at all. In landing descs very few mention another pristine environment unspoiled by human touch or plant so it just seems to me that another plain old terragen pic of a pristine environment is innapropriate.
View Post

Sweet. I'm more of a barren guy myself. So our TC should be able to break up some of that usual predictability.

Ragashingo, on Feb 14 2006, 09:37 PM, said:

The pristine TG scene issue is a pretty big problem, but not every scene needs plant life... Of course the other option is to recruit a amazing artist to add in the stuff you need. Unfortunately finding one is extremely hard...
View Post

There in lies the problem. Actually, I'm gettting to know terragen pretty well.

Ragashingo, on Feb 15 2006, 08:20 AM, said:

Here's 20 TG pics if you'd like to use them
View Post

Looks like a few of those are from Aftermath or did you guys toss those out. Anyway, I like alot of them. I'll pick out your best and use them...although just about everone is usable somewhere. Thanks a bunch.

Swithich, on Feb 15 2006, 08:36 PM, said:

Sweet. I'm more of a barren guy myself. So our TC should be able to break up some of that usual predictability.
There in lies the problem. Actually, I'm gettting to know terragen pretty well.
Looks like a few of those are from Aftermath or did you guys toss those out. Anyway, I like alot of them. I'll pick out your best and use them...although just about everone is usable somewhere. Thanks a bunch.
View Post

Not to worry, I double checked the Nova named ones and made sure they were actually available. 🙂

So -- since you posted the link on this board, are we to take it that this is a general public release of these pics for all who want to use 'em (and give you credit)? Or did you mean to provide them just to Swithich?

I don't mind if anybody uses them, but you should ask Switch if he minds. If he doesn't mind they are free to anybody.

I don't really mind. There are about five of them I'm sure our plug is going to use. A couple (esp. the desert one) look like his first attempts at terragen. AS you get to the end though the pics are alot better. Plus I don't think that anyone is going to notice a few of the same pics sprinkled through several plug ins. Anyway, a couple like the icy lack and heraan are pretty cool.

Ragashingo, on Feb 15 2006, 12:37 AM, said:

View Post

Thats very true.
"I've gone to go find myself, If I get back while I am away, keep me here until I return."

Swithich, the landing pics that you need, are most of them going to be Class-E?
Or is that too far back?