question about seemingly unused items....

i have noticed that all three EV games have buttons that say "demand more" and "accept payment" (in Nova you can find them in the str# in nova graphics 3), but i have never seen them used. i assume they are for offering someone else assistance, or if someone you attack offers a bribe, but i have never seen them come up. why is this? if they aren't used, why keep putting them in, and if they are used, how do you use them?

ok, i just did a bit of searching, seems that they are old features that went unused in previous EV games, but that doesn't explain why they were still included in EVN, i mean, if you knew you weren't going to use them, why put them in again?

EDIT: oops, sry about dbl post, though i hit the edit button

This post has been edited by Edwin_again : 19 January 2006 - 07:23 PM

Heh, yeah there's a few old resources around which just sit there doing nothing. No one ever got around to deleting them I guess. Though the button labels are a bit odd - in EV they were all pics so someone must have knowingly put them in the STR# resource.

yeah, that's the point of my second post, they would have had to have been diliberately inserted, so why were they not used?

Edwin_again, on Jan 19 2006, 09:24 PM, said:

yeah, that's the point of my second post, they would have had to have been diliberately inserted, so why were they not used?
View Post

Have you ever looked in the "Nova Titles" files in the Data folder...?

yeah, they contain planetary images

Edwin_again, on Jan 28 2006, 12:49 AM, said:

yeah, they contain planetary images
View Post

Unused planetary images.

Unused? Only a few of them. I cannot vouch for Nova Titles 1, those being the landing graphics bonded to planet types, but in Nova Titles 2 through 4 (custom landing PICTs and stations), only the following five landing graphics are unused:

11015 (Large green plateaus)
11020 (Round buildings embedded in spiky mountains- old version of Moash?)
11036 (Strange floating cubes (buildings?) above a lake-filled background)
11081 (Desert plateaus)
11083 (Polaris skymining station- old version, replaced by 10045?)

Also, one of the types of Auroran station does not appear in-game, but I do not remember whether it was the one-part or three-part station.

Edwards

Try opening up the Nova app itself in ResEdit and look at some of the DLOGs. 😉

i would if i knew where a win version of resedit was, i know one exists (i think it does anyhow, i seem to remember using it, or perahps i imagnined using it) but i can never find it, even with the almighty Google.

EVNEW (halfway down the page, make sure you get v. 1.04!)

Not as flexible as resedit, but still useful.

Edwin_again, on Feb 5 2006, 10:13 AM, said:

i would if i knew where a win version of resedit was, i know one exists (i think it does anyhow, i seem to remember using it, or perahps i imagnined using it) but i can never find it, even with the almighty Google.
View Post

Oh, PC version, then you also wouldn't know about the secret cheat dialog...

Mispeled, on Feb 5 2006, 08:53 PM, said:

Oh, PC version, then you also wouldn't know about the secret cheat dialog...
View Post

NO ONE knows about the SECRET CHEAT DIALOG beacause it's SECRET!

Duh.

Heh. I love that thing. We need that pic someone shopped of the cheats dialog.

darth_vader, on Feb 5 2006, 11:19 AM, said:

EVNEW (halfway down the page, make sure you get v. 1.04!)

Not as flexible as resedit, but still useful.
View Post

i have evnew, my point was you cant open an execetubatle with it.

Edwin_again, on Feb 6 2006, 07:46 AM, said:

i have evnew, my point was you cant open an execetubatle with it.
View Post

You can't open an executable in ANY program. It must first be decompiled, then browsed with a text editor or an application editor. If your willing to shell out a lot of money, you could try Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0.

well, yeah, but with a good hexeditor like resedit, you can not only open them, but actualy view and modify bits.

This post has been edited by Edwin_again : 06 February 2006 - 05:50 PM

Edwin_again, on Jan 19 2006, 02:19 PM, said:

i have noticed that all three EV games have buttons that say "demand more" and "accept payment" (in Nova you can find them in the str# in nova graphics 3), but i have never seen them used. i assume they are for offering someone else assistance, or if someone you attack offers a bribe, but i have never seen them come up. why is this? if they aren't used, why keep putting them in, and if they are used, how do you use them?
View Post

WAIT A MINUTE! I think I've seen the "Demand More" button in play! I can't quite remember where, but I remember I used it and I got my bass kicked. Hmmm, mighta been EV Classic.

Edwin_again, on Feb 6 2006, 04:50 PM, said:

well, yeah, but with a good hexeditor like resedit, you can not only open them, but actualy view and modify bits.
View Post

Erm no. Mac files can have two forks, one is the data fork which contains the executable in the case of Nova, and then the resource fork which contains other information, like Windowing and menu information. ResEdit just edits the resources not the actual executable.

aha, so that's why it's possible to remove the extension and browse through an app like a folder....