Starting with the Kestral

I'm trying to start off with the kestral

I have played through every storyline except for the rebels so far, and in doing so i have managed to obtain all the best ships in the game, except for the kestral. I decided I wanted to play through the rebel storyline with the kestral, so i started making patches. I have made several attempts to do this:

1. make a bbs board that automatically changes your ship to Kestral(1 plugin)
  2. set mars to a S7evyn planet and change price to 2500 so i could buy it right away from mars (edit the rez file 2)
  3. Make a mission that gives me 50000000 for traveling to earth, and then link the sol wormhole directly to link (the wormhole in S7even) (1 plugin + edit rez file 2)

The first 2 got my kestral, but as soon as i saved and loaded it gave me a message saying "This pilot file appears to reference information that is from a plug-in or replacement dataset that is not currently loaded. You can continue to use this pilot, but it may cause odd behaviour" and my ship is set to the shuttle version A.
The 3rd try gave me the 50000000 but the wormhole says "Your ship is unable to enter this wormhole - the radiation levels are too extreme". If i try it with a profile that has completed the game I can get through the wormhole.

Can anybody tell me how I can fix any of the 3 methods above, or a different method all together that i can use to get the kestral near the begining of the game?
I am running EV nova on windows with 1.0.9 (I Think). Thanks in advanced.

Hmm... I made earth the planet that sold kestral and gave myself 50 million, and bought it, and now it works just fine. Not sure why buying it from mars wasn't working.
Sorry for bothering people with this.

Even though you've solved your problem, I'll be helpful and answer the questions of what was going wrong with some of your attempts.

The "unable to enter wormhole" problem is the simplest. You can only enter a wormhole when there is a valid wormhole to exit from. You had forced the wormhole to point to the S7evyn wormhole, but the S7evyn system is not visible until the end of the game, so its wormhole was not a valid destination.

I am not sure what the problem with the other two plugs was, but it looks like they probably changed the RID of the Kestrel to something above 414 (the highest ship RID used in-game). After you removed the plug, your pilot was using a ship that didn't exist, and reverted to the Shuttle.

Edwards

Another option would have been to make a simple char resource that lets you start in whatever system you want, in any ship of your choosing, and with any amount of cash that you want. Then, upon creation of a new character, you could select your new char and have a kestrel immediately (and you wouldn't have to worry about the availability of Sev7yn messing other things up).

(EDIT) This was never here... :rolleyes:

However, if you didn't want to set the char to give you the Kestrel outright, you could have it give you an Asteroid Miner and put you in S7evyn. If you start in a system, whether it is visible or not is ignored.

Edwards

This post has been edited by Edwards : 25 January 2006 - 06:47 PM

Edwards, on Jan 24 2006, 10:30 PM, said:

You can only enter a wormhole when there is a valid wormhole to exit from.
View Post

Just a minor detail: The exit point doesn't have to be a wormhole, it can be any visible space object, including planets, stations, and hypergates.

Edwards, on Jan 25 2006, 06:43 PM, said:

However, if you didn't want to set the char to give you the Kestrel outright, you could have it give you an Asteroid Miner and put you in S7evyn.
View Post

...or you could have it give you an Asteroid Miner and put you in Formalhaut with all the Opal-bearing asteroids changed into bouncing, swinging, scurrying and rotating animations, only one of which ever gives any reward when destroyed, and the type of cargo it gives can only be sold on one planet under one special circumstance...

I mean, unless that type of thing has been done before, of course. <_<

This post has been edited by Qaanol : 25 January 2006 - 06:58 PM

Qaanol, on Jan 25 2006, 02:57 PM, said:

...or you could have it give you an Asteroid Miner and put you in Formalhaut with all the Opal-bearing asteroids changed into bouncing, swinging, scurrying and rotating animations, only one of which ever gives any reward when destroyed, and the type of cargo it gives can only be sold on one planet under one special circumstance...View Post

But that wouldn't put you in the right place to buy the Kestrel!

Of course, you'd probably say that the Asteroid Miner is superior to the Kestrel. And I might well support you in that. And it is definitely far more fun to go chasing after bouncing, swinging, scurrying and rotating asteroids than it is to fight yet more battles in a rather none-too-great ship. Nova needs more humor and wackyness.

Edwards

Edwards, on Jan 25 2006, 10:13 PM, said:

Nova needs more humor and wackyness.
View Post

I know, I know. (See sig.)

This post has been edited by Dr. Trowel : 25 January 2006 - 11:23 PM