Iinvisible Planets

I just started writing on a little mod, and did the first test today, and everything but the planets worked just fine. But those planets are kinna strange: they are invisible. they're on the map, and if i hit "L", they are targeted, but i cant see them, and if i try to land it says the environment is to hostile. Can anyone say me, what i did wrong?

-Lukas

This post has been edited by lukasn : 14 January 2006 - 09:29 AM

Sounds like you don't have any graphics set for the Spobs. You could post what you've made so far here, and I'll take a look at it when I get home from work.

What are you using to make it?

i'm using Mission Computer. I tried to attach the file three times now, it doesn't work 😞
I'll try to modify the graphics for the planets.

This post has been edited by lukasn : 14 January 2006 - 09:46 AM

That's possible when the spin resource for the planet points to a nonexistant sprite or to one that has a bad frame setup— though these would probably cause failures on startup and Nova would not launch— but most likely when a planet is rle'd without a mask.

This post has been edited by rmx256 : 14 January 2006 - 10:01 AM

k, i think i found the problem. How can i tell the planet to use the spďn i created?

The Type field in the spob resource tells which spin to use. Set this to the spin's ID-2000.

MissionComputer has a problem with the spob sprites; my planets went invisible too. I put in the correct ResID, and they came up as needle missles. Not much help.

Chances are that it's not MC with the problem 😉

Be sure that all of your resources are internally self-consistant.

BOGWarrior, on Jan 14 2006, 09:52 PM, said:

MissionComputer has a problem with the spob sprites; my planets went invisible too. I put in the correct ResID, and they came up as needle missles. Not much help.
View Post

You don't put in the ResID. You put in the type. Basically, you create a planet graphic with the ResID 2000. In the type field of the spob, you would put "0" for that graphic. "1" would be 2001, "2" would be 2002, ect.

BOGWarrior, on Jan 14 2006, 04:52 PM, said:

View Post

Now that would be a rather interesting planet...

I noticed that Polycon EV has a ship as a planet...
Maybe you shouldn't change it. It would be a very interesting planet/station.
( The inhabitants are in constant danger of blowing up due to them living on a missile... )

Well, it still didn't work. But i attached it this time. Could anyone have a look at it?

-Lukas
Attached File thetrad.zip (20.38K)
Number of downloads: 40

I apologise, I don't know where I got 2000 from but it should actually be 1000. However don't just set them to 1000 and 1001 as these will override existing spins. But if you're using existing graphics you don't need to put any rles or spins in your plug at all - just set the spob Type to 24 for Arboreal or 34 for CC Station.

I did that, but they're still invisible... 😞

-Lukas

EDIT: I attached the new file

Attached File thetrad2.zip (1.29K)
Number of downloads: 39

This post has been edited by lukasn : 15 January 2006 - 04:21 PM

Hm, can't immediately see anything else wrong with it. You could try using spob IDs that aren't already used though.

I tried to download these but they came up as nonconvertable text files.

Theres also weird behavior when you have two planets with the same IDs out at the same time. Invisible and unlandable, so it might be that.

NebuchadnezzaR, on Jan 15 2006, 08:56 PM, said:

Theres also weird behavior when you have two planets with the same IDs out at the same time. Invisible and unlandable, so it might be that.View Post

That's what I'd been guessing. If Guy's comment about the plug using already-in-use RIDs is correct, this is probably the problem. Any spob RID in the range 518-1399 is unused by Nova.

Edwards

Thx guys, now it works! 🙂

-Lukas

Umm, this is to ScratSkinner:
Unfortunately, it is supposed to be the earth and moon.

But, that would be cool.

This post has been edited by BOGWarrior : 21 January 2006 - 11:55 PM