Modelling

What do YOU use?

Poll: What 3d program do you use? (17 member(s) have cast votes)
What 3d program do you use?
3d Studio Max
(2 votes [11.76%])
Percentage of vote: 11.76%
Lightwave
(2 votes [11.76%])
Cinema 4d
(3 votes [17.65%])
Percentage of vote: 17.65%
Maya
(2 votes [11.76%])
Wings 3d
(5 votes [29.41%])
Percentage of vote: 29.41%
Blender
(2 votes [11.76%])
Bryce
(1 votes [5.88%])
Percentage of vote: 5.88%

I was just wondering what 3d program is most popular with the people here.
I'm a 3ds max personally, and was wondering how many people also use 3ds max, and everything else.

You missed one! rmx won't be happy.

Which one?

The one that you did miss is a given to be not included (Guy, thank you for making my otherwise dull morning funny!), nor should I be offended by it's omission.

It boils down to this, in my opinion: Are you making prerendered sprites for a non on-the-fly-3d-rendered-game such as any in the EV series- where you almost never need to see any model at a larger scale than perhaps a couple hundred pixels across onscreen? Do you plan to continue your education into 3d art or graphics beyond what basically ammounts to a hobbyist stage, or are you just making sprites for EV? Do you have the spare several hundred to thousands of dollars laying around to pop into a software application package that you may frankly never use for anything other than making sprites for EV (remember: professional level package professional level results does not make)? Finally, does your hardware situation allow the running of most modern 3d modeling/rendering packages, or even most games?

I use what I use because I can say 'no' to all of these questions. I have no intention of being a professinal graphic artist. I don't intend to get any better at it than I need to for the making of what it is that I make. I certainly don't have the money for 3DS Max, nor min, nor mid, and definately not Maya or Lightwave. My computer is 10 years old and can be accused of barely running Nova. So I use an abandonware 10 year old 3d program called Mechanisto because it fits all of the bills- I challenge anyone to tell a Mech sprite on the screen from a Lightwave one when all model details are the same. Making a human face, yes- there are better aps, but as I don't intend to be a professional nor do I have many spare dollars (s###, my computer was ten dollars (twentyseven shpped)) this is more than sufficient. Mech is good enough for EV and good enough for me 🙂

er...where the hecks Mechanisto?!

Is this some kind of a joke?!

🙂

rmx++

I will also point out that an all new version of Mechanisto for OSX is in development.

It's called Aureole🙂

Ah. I see. Sorry about leaving out mechanisto.

A little off track perhaps, but anyway; About me:

I am currently doing a basic 3d animation and modelling course, and as such bought a student copy of 3ds max. I do indeed intend to do art of some sort in the future(preferably 3d, cause my sketching skills arent that good.) Or maybe a Music career. Either way, I intend to keep modelling because I find it, for a lack of a better word, fun. I enjoy modelling. whether it be a playstation. Or a spaceship model. A student copy of max is under like AUS$400.
The course im taking costs more than that! As for my PC, it was under AUS$1000 and works fine. All I got was a basic PC with a fast CPU and decent ram.

(This entire post may sound like Im angry and trying to pick a fight. This is untrue.)

My point being is that $400 is not enough for even my home mortgage 🙂

And FWIK Aureole is not exactly Mechanisto- More than that IIRC 😉

tycho61uk, on Oct 10 2005, 03:42 PM, said:

I will also point out that an all new version of Mechanisto for OSX is in development.

It's called Aureole🙂
View Post

huh? What's this?

Infini-D 4.5 + Bryce 5 = Infiniryce 8.5

I use Pov-Ray. I call it 'modeling by touch'. Plus i like having to use graph paper. Makes me feel noble.

Where the hell is Strata3DPro?

Just thought I'd weigh in: a few more people use LightWave here because that's what ATMOS (the team who made the scenario for EV:Nova) used. Probably not too many use 3ds MAX because the EV developer's community is largely Mac-users, since for quite some time EV was a Mac-only game.

Some of them probably haven't voted because they're busy doing other things. 😉

I use LightWave 3D most of the time now, but I used to use Infini-D, Bryce, and I have some experience with 3ds MAX.

Azdara: It's Tycho's project. He's trying to make a powerful modeller/texturer for a low price, and he's trying to make it as useful as possible without killing the user.

Anaxagoras, on Oct 11 2005, 12:58 AM, said:

Azdara: It's Tycho's project. He's trying to make a powerful modeller/texturer for a low price, and he's trying to make it as useful as possible without killing the user.
View Post

Ah, I see, thanks. Is there a website for it, or is it still too early?

POV-Ray, although I haven't done much with it. Just one rather repetitive superfreighter and a few random objects. And a (slightly inaccurate) library of Zome parts...

Edwards

Azdara Ace, on Oct 11 2005, 04:08 AM, said:

Ah, I see, thanks. Is there a website for it, or is it still too early?
View Post

Soon. This is one of several things I'm working on. I expect to have at least a development release available before the year is out 🙂