Questions about numeric values

HELP

When i first downloaded ev nova for windows i was upset that there were very few windows plugins. So now im gonna make some. Im using EVNEW and im trying to add a new system with a planet and govt to fit it. However, here is the problem, to add a system you need to add hyperlinks to other systems, but in numeric value. This is a problem with other things, i do not know the bit, or numeric value of things. Where can i find them.

NovaDev, on Aug 22 2005, 09:02 AM, said:

This is a problem with other things, i do not know the bit, or numeric value of things. Where can i find them.View Post

In the EVNEW main window, when you click on a resource type, a list will pop up with two columns. One of them is the names of the resources, and the other one is the Resource IDs (often called the "RID"). The RID is the number that most of the fields are looking for. To find the RIDs of the Nova resources, just open up the Nova data files (systems are in Nova Data 2).
If a field says that it needs an Index number, put in either RID - 128, or (for referencing spins) RID - whatever number the Nova Bible specifies.

Edwards

NovaDev, on Aug 22 2005, 05:02 PM, said:

When i first downloaded ev nova for windows i was upset that there were very few windows plugins. So now im gonna make some. Im using EVNEW and im trying to add a new system with a planet and govt to fit it. However, here is the problem, to add a system you need to add hyperlinks to other systems, but in numeric value. This is a problem with other things, i do not know the bit, or numeric value of things. Where can i find them.
View Post

Don't forget to copy the other systems around the new one and add to them the hyperlink ID of your system. If not, you will be able to jump from your systems to them, not the other way around.

NovaDev, on Aug 22 2005, 03:02 PM, said:

When i first downloaded ev nova for windows i was upset that there were very few windows plugins.
View Post

Er, this isn't quite true. All plugins can run on win Nova - there's a little conversion program that comes with it to convert plugins made on a mac into .rez format.

Frequency 245, on Aug 22 2005, 12:54 PM, said:

Don't forget to copy the other systems around the new one and add to them the hyperlink ID of your system. If not, you will be able to jump from your systems to them, not the other way around.

Not in Nova; the engine assumes that one-way links should go both ways (no smart-ass comments, please) and reciprocates the link, listing it in the debuglog. Personally, I dislike the feature, as it was quite useful to make links that worked one way but not the other for EV/O. Ah well. At least we can still do it with hypergates and wormholes.

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 22 August 2005 - 07:31 PM

orcaloverbri9, on Aug 22 2005, 06:27 PM, said:

Not in Nova; the engine assumes that one-way links should go both ways (no smart-ass comments, please) and reciprocates the link, listing it in the debuglog.View Post

Well...
In most normal cases that feature works, but I seem to recall someone, possibly Frequency, getting caught by one of the exceptions recently. Better to put the links in both ways than to get caught by a hard-to-trace bug after you add in a few more versions of the system.

Edwards

Yes, Neb found some interesting glitches involving higher IDs. Look for Masamune's "Formerly a rant, turned OMG WTF LOL, turned bummer" topic for more on that.