Creating Sprites

Or, how to drive a developer mad

Having recently (probably rather stupidly) to start on a TC, I realised that I have a rather large problem. Sprites. Or rather, lack thereof or any feasible means of creating them. Then I remembered that some people have been producing sprites (mainly for Ares), and it seemed highly unlikely that anyone would be mad enough to go into paint and manually drop in every pixel to create such a nice finish.
Is there some sort of 3D editor/graphics editor of any sort that people are using?

Chrome Falcon, on Aug 16 2005, 07:42 AM, said:

Having recently (probably rather stupidly) to start on a TC, I realised that I have a rather large problem. Sprites. Or rather, lack thereof or any feasible means of creating them. Then I remembered that some people have been producing sprites (mainly for Ares), and it seemed highly unlikely that anyone would be mad enough to go into paint and manually drop in every pixel to create such a nice finish.
Is there some sort of 3D editor/graphics editor of any sort that people are using?View Post

Yes. Tutorials for some of those programs can be found in the "All the Important Links You'll Ever Need" thread.

After you've created a ship, if you're using a Mac, you'll want to use p2s or m2s (part of the NovaTools suite) to convert rendered ships to spins. If you're using Windows, you'll need to import each frame individually using EVNEW.

Edwards

3D graphics are quite possibly harder than programming.

And I thought nothing was harder than programming.

Well, programming can get difficult at times, such as when the interpreter decides to use a font 2/3 of the given size but keep the full height of the string the same...

Oh, wait, were you talking about the data entry commonly considered "programming" by many developers? If so, ignore the above harping about RB. grumbles

Personally, I refuse to call it "programming" or "coding". I stand by my use of the word "resources" and the phrase "resource editing".

Personally, I prefer the phrase "mangling". Not that you cared, but still...

3D modeling is harder than programming. There's no question on the matter.

Well in 3d modelling you can at least SEE what the problems are, and don't have to spend hours finding that misplaced period, semicolon, or space that causes everything to behave in a screwy manner.

It does take a bit more artistic talent to make things look good, and I'm better at logic than artistry.

Keldor Sarn, on Aug 18 2005, 06:23 PM, said:

Well in 3d modelling you can at least SEE what the problems are, and don't have to spend hours finding that misplaced period, semicolon, or space that causes everything to behave in a screwy manner.

It does take a bit more artistic talent to make things look good, and I'm better at logic than artistry.

Ditto^infinity. Seriously, I couldn't have put it better myself. Just look at the SS site. :mad:

EDIT: Woah...dude...I'd forgotten that Masa got a new host.

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 20 August 2005 - 10:30 AM