Trouble with spöbs

implicit reciprocal link?!

debuglog.txt said:

warning: assuming implicit reciprocal link from PR-0001 (1128) to Kontik (285)
warning: assuming implicit reciprocal link from Villos (1131) to Qeki (1129)
warning: assuming implicit reciprocal link from PR-0003 (1133) to Villos (1131)
warning: assuming implicit reciprocal link from PR-0004 (1134) to PR-0003 (1133)
warning: assuming implicit reciprocal link from PR-9666 (1138) to Alaska (1137)
warning: assuming implicit reciprocal link from PR-9666 (1138) to Kunj (1136)

Okay, what the hell is an implicit reciprocal link? 'Cause whenever I jump into any of those systems, Nova pauses on the white flash of the hyperjump for a few seconds, then quits.

Why is this topic about spöbs though? Because I think Nova crashing might not have to do with those. I only posted that because I don't know what it means.

Anyway, I copied the 'Stellar Types' STR# (1100) into EVolution. Then, I added two types: Blackhole and Three Ringed Gas Giant.

System PR-0001 (1128) has one of those Blackholes, which should have the correct graphic, type, etc.

This crashing only started happening when I put the blackhole there.

This post has been edited by nuku : 24 July 2005 - 06:31 AM

That has nothing to do with your reciprocal links. You're missing a spob spin- or you're not referencing the right one. Make sure that your spob resource is pointing to the spin resource id, not the rle id, of the planet graphic that you want to use 🙂

rmx256, on Jul 24 2005, 05:50 AM, said:

That has nothing to do with your reciprocal links. You're missing a spob spin- or you're not referencing the right one. Make sure that your spob resource is pointing to the spin resource id, not the rle id, of the planet graphic that you want to use 🙂
View Post

Hmm, I just fixed all of that but it still pauses during the white flash and crashes. Here's some screenshots.

Reciprocal links are links that the game puts in when it sees system A link to system B, but not the other way around. It adds a link from B to A, so that you don't get any one-way links. However, if any of the systems involved get swapped with another version during the course of the game, this feature may fail, so it is a good idea to explicitly define every link.
Reciprocal links are mentioned in Zacha Pedro's s˙st Annotated Template (oddly, they aren't mentioned at all in the Bible).
The bug is thoroughly worked out and explained in this thread.

Edwards

Edwards, on Jul 24 2005, 07:51 AM, said:

Reciprocal links are links that the game puts in when it sees system A link to system B, but not the other way around. It adds a link from B to A, so that you don't get any one-way links. However, if any of the systems involved get swapped with another version during the course of the game, this feature may fail, so it is a good idea to explicitly define every link.
Reciprocal links are mentioned in Zacha Pedro's s˙st Annotated Template (oddly, they aren't mentioned at all in the Bible).
The bug is thoroughly worked out and explained in this thread.

Edwards
View Post

I thought MissionComputer automatically put in the other direction though...

And what happened to my screenshots? <_< I don't have time to redo it now, I'll fix it later.

rmx256, on Jul 24 2005, 02:50 PM, said:

View Post

I'm not so sure. I'm having an identical problem - just as I jump into the system, it freezes, then dumps me back onto the desktop. I'm only starting out with EVNEW, so I wasn't doing anything fancy - just a very basic unlandable planet with a spin already in Nova. When I take the planet out, there's nothing wrong.

Mind you, there is a weird bug when I tried copying in existing spobs from elsewhere in Nova - they are there in the map, but they're invisible on the main screen (not on sensors) and you can't select them with 1,2,3, etc. By pure chance I discovered that pushing 'l' selects them, but brings up a complaint about 'Atmosphere too hostile' or 'Hypergate offline' etc. The most irritating part is that the NPCs (oops, RPG reference there) treat the spobs as normal - you could see the ships zipping in and out of the invisible, offline hypergate.

I have a feeling this is different. Because when I change the spöb in question's type back to an existing Nova one, it works. It's something I've done wrong in the spöb resource, the spďn resource, or the IDs of the spďns and RLEs. But I've checked them a million times and it's all correct.

Chrome Falcon, on Jul 24 2005, 12:36 PM, said:

Mind you, there is a weird bug when I tried copying in existing spobs from elsewhere in Nova - they are there in the map, but they're invisible on the main screen (not on sensors) and you can't select them with 1,2,3, etc. By pure chance I discovered that pushing 'l' selects them, but brings up a complaint about 'Atmosphere too hostile' or 'Hypergate offline' etc. The most irritating part is that the NPCs (oops, RPG reference there) treat the spobs as normal - you could see the ships zipping in and out of the invisible, offline hypergate.

I believe that happens when a planet only has one of the two required links between spob and syst, or at least it did in EV/O. I really don't know about Nova, nor do I know if there's a difference in behavior based on which link is absent.

Nova's spobs can only be specified in the syst. The problem occurs if you try to put the same spob in more than one system simultaneously. It will only work if the visbits of all systs who reference it are mutually exclusive.

Ah, that's right. I also distinctly remember Matt telling us "not supported, don't do it" about putting the same spob in two systs which were both visible at the same time.

So I take it that no-one has encountered this problem with not being able to jump into a system with new spobs? Just to try it out, I tried doing an overwrite of a system putting a new spob into it, but Nova refused to even load - nice intro, progress bar finishes, back to the desktop. Mind you, I think I might have been in said system at the time, so that would probably do strange things...

Kill me now. I mean it.

I just worked out why I've been having problems. Let's take an example: I want a spob with the graphic pict 1039. So I put in 1039 in the 'Graphic' bit of the spob settings. When it says very clearly in the quicktip thing 'between 0 and 255'.

Aaaarrrrggggghhhhhh...

It's an index to both the spin for that spob's in-space image ass well as to the landing pic for that spob.