Editing Pilot Files

with ResEdit?

I came accross this idea on accident. I was trying to open Nova Data 2 in ResEdit, and being on a laptop, two fingers touched the pad at once, sending the cursor off in some other direction. At the time, I had the ability to click with the touchpad enabled, so along with having my cursor on the other end of the screen, I somehow opened a pilot file (which happened to be named Cade Connelly, but that's neither here nor there).

Then, forgetting all intentions to open Nova Data 2 (which had been to look up the resource ID for a spΓΆπŸ†’, I proceeded to fiddle around with the file, changing random letters and numbers, etc. The end result worked surpirsingly well. I had a Cambrian, max amount of credits, no cargo/mass space, and, according to the game, I wasn't in a system. I fiddled around a bit more and this time, the game crashed. What a surprise.

Anyway, would it be possible to make a set of templates for editing pilot files in ResEdit?

It's definately possible, but i doubt it's gonna happen any time soon.

Is there a Pilot File Editor Template?

Just coincidentally I came across that topic recently while sifting through old EVDC posts. The bottomline answer to your question is: No, because the pilot file data structure is too large for a TMPL to be applied, plus the data is encrypted.

Arturo, on Jul 24 2005, 03:20 PM, said:

The bottomline answer to your question is: No, because the pilot file data structure is too large for a TMPL to be applied, plus the data is encrypted.View Post

However, there are a few simple edits that you can do by hand, such as changing strict-playness and gender. Nicknames, unfortunately, are uneditable without decrypting the file.

Edwards

Edwards, on Jul 24 2005, 09:39 PM, said:

However, there are a few simple edits that you can do by hand, such as changing strict-playness and gender. Nicknames, unfortunately, are uneditable without decrypting the file.

Edwards
View Post

And whether you're dead or not πŸ˜›

Well, those aren't very helpful. I was thinking more on the lines of skipping missions for testing plugins. But, reading the other thread, I see it's not going to happen. 😞

nuku, on Jul 25 2005, 11:43 AM, said:

Well, those aren't very helpful. I was thinking more on the lines of skipping missions for testing plugins. But, reading the other thread, I see it's not going to happen. 😞
View Post

Actually, check out http://phair.csh.rit.../EV/bitChanger/

It might do some of what yau want.

-STH

Skipping missions to test plugs is way easy. Just make new debugging missions that set the required bits.

NebuchadnezzaR, on Jul 26 2005, 08:50 PM, said:

Skipping missions to test plugs is way easy. Just make new debugging missions that set the required bits.
View Post

But a pilot file editor would be easier if it could give you certain ships and other things needed to test your plug. Plus, it'd make you feel like god. Who hates that? πŸ†’

There's a great little OS X program called The Cheat. It's a RAM editor that allows you make changes to a running program (be careful though - only change something if you're sure of what it is). I use it quite often when testing plugs - I can change status bar levels, ship type, current system, basic commodity quantities, credits, weapon and outfit quantities, the date, and even make myself invincible if necessary (try doing that with a plug!). Unfortunately the addresses vary between copies of Nova so you'll have to work out what they are for yourself.