Is there a Pilot File Editor Template?

With all the complexities of EVN, wouldn't it make sense to be able to modify pilot files, setting/unsetting NCB's, and such to facilitate plugin/long mission string testing?

I'm guessing it would be possible with some sort of Nova Tools type template in Resedit, right?

Thoughts, please.

------------------
-Macros
"No, no no...not the road less traveled....take the subway. It's faster."

Originally posted by Macros:
**I'm guessing it(edited pilot files) would be possible with some sort of Nova Tools type template in Resedit, right?

Thoughts, please.

Unfortunately, this is impossible for 2 reasons. First, the pilot files of all escape velocity games are encoded using Andrew W's algorithm(?sp?) called SimpleCrypt. The key for the original escape velocity and override were the same. It took me an embarassingly long time to figure out the key for Nova last night (it really helps when I actually use logic to tear a problem apart).

The second problem it that there's a lot of information stored in the pilot file; way more that a tmpl can handle. I'm @ work and don't have access to my pilot file notes, but tmpls have a limit on how many fields they can have. EV and EVO pilot files were too big for templates, so EVN pilot files are way to big.

Since I already have the key and the algorythm, I can already convert pilot files to human readable form...I just need to fill in the gaps as to what each offset means. I can make educated guesses based on the EV and EVO pilot file stuff I've done, but I want to make sure. As soon as I get my EVN registration # I'll be able to generate the text dumps of the pilot files I'm using to check things.

If folks feel that a mission bit set/clear utility would be useful, I could be persuaded to make one after I figure out the EVN pilot structure.

Let me know.

-STH

------------------
"Create enigmas, not explanations." -Robert Smithson

No.
But with the char rescource, you can set up a player.
Ie, what he or she starts with, such as gov, amount of credits, mission bits already compleated(i think), and so forth.

------------------
It's time for a new challenge.
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/benedwards/.cv/benedwards/Public/Ares1.2/StarsAreFire%3AC4.sit-binhex.hqx")The Stars Are Fire(/url)-A TC for Ares
...And so the human race reached for the stars, unknowing of the dangers that awaited them...

With the chär resource having only 30 fields, and the pilot file being too large for a template, I have a feeling there are some important variables that could only be manipulated with a pilot file editor utility. So I'll be the first to request one, seant.

For now, I'll have to make due with the char resource! 🙂 Thank you!

------------------
-Macros

Originally posted by Macros:
**With all the complexities of EVN, wouldn't it make sense to be able to modify pilot files, setting/unsetting NCB's, and such to facilitate plugin/long mission string testing?

I'm guessing it would be possible with some sort of Nova Tools type template in Resedit, right?

Thoughts, please.

The pilot file is a data file with simple encryption, so ResEdit/NovaTools isn't the way to go. During development I started a pilot editor, but Matt included the means of dumping the pilot and ncb information at runtime from nova, which met the testing needs so the Editor was put on ice. The editor was called 'Scramble' by the way 🙂

If seant wants to make an editor, then I'd say go for it. Personally I think it would be abused as a cheater tool, so I was sort of happy the editor tool was not needed, and I'd personally hesitate to release it. Your opinion may differ.

Cheers
DrR

------------------
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/dr_ralph/index.html") w00tWare: NovaTools are here!(/url)

Originally posted by DrRalph:
If seant wants to make an editor, then I'd say go for it. Personally I think it would be abused as a cheater tool, so I was sort of happy the editor tool was not needed, and I'd personally hesitate to release it.

I agree. I was very pleased with the pilot file editors I made for EVO because I could imagine the cool plugins that could be made if they were packaged with modified pilot files. Now, though, I know they're mainly used to cheat.

That's not to say that some utilities wouldn't be useful. I can already imagine a utility (in my mind I'm calling it "Tweaker") that'd let folks change their nickname, sex, and maybe let them turn strict play on and off (though that's getting close to cheating).

A misnBit setter/clearer would be very useful for testing purposes. There's also the problem that EVO had with pre-existing pilot files and plugins that made new pers. I don't know if this is fixed in EVN, but in EVO it wasn't possible to use a pre-existing pilot file with plugins that made new pers because those new pers were never initially "on" when pilot file was first created (did that make sense?)

What else would folks want to edit?-- that wouldn't be abused as cheating, that is.

You've got the jump on me, DrRalph, in that I'm assuming you've a copy of the spec sheet. You could probably do a better job on these hypothetical utilities because I'd be using RealBasic, whereas you'd be doing thing in (I assume) C.

Scramble is a great name for an pilot de/encryptor. I'd never even heard of bit shifting when I first started messing with pilot files, so it was quite a crash course to figure out what was going on. I call the subroutine I use "mojo" 🙂

-STH

------------------
"Create enigmas, not explanations." -Robert Smithson

Of course such a tool would be abused by some, but it's not really a big deal, as EVN is a single player game, yes? I mean cheating at Diablo II on battle.net is a HUGE deal, as your player affects how others games progress. But if someone wants to ruin the fun of doing it the old fashioned way, I say go for it. They only cheat themselves.

So I encourage either seant or Dr. Ralph to release their utility, so it can help the ones who may find it very helpful. And if some other savvy kids want to cheat...well, I guess their the ones with the plugin enhanced überships already, aren't they?

Thanks for the responses guys, let me know if you decide to release!
zkbacon@myexcel.com

------------------
-Macros

(quote)Originally posted by seant:
You've got the jump on me, DrRalph, in that I'm assuming you've a copy of the spec sheet. You could probably do a better job on these hypothetical utilities because I'd be using RealBasic, whereas you'd be doing thing in (I assume) C.

Scramble is a great name for an pilot de/encryptor. I'd never even heard of bit shifting when I first started messing with pilot files, so it was quite a crash course to figure out what was going on. I call the subroutine I use "mojo" 🙂 so if you want to go on your own, then it will be a good little exersise in hacking.... (oooh!)

DrR

------------------
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/dr_ralph/index.html") w00tWare: NovaTools are here!(/url)