spin Generator for Windows?

Is there one?

That's my question, up there. Yeah, right there.

Basically, I am in need of a spin generator for windows, preferably one that would work with anim8or (that's what I use - no money for 3DS). If not, I could make do with the one for mac, but I need to know what it's called, where I can get it, and where to find Infini-D or Mechanisto (those are the programs it works with, no?).

Thanks for your time and patience!

I'm sorry, but from what I've heard, there is no such tool. Sorry.

Dash_Merc, on May 27 2005, 12:12 PM, said:

That's my question, up there. Yeah, right there.

Basically, I am in need of a spin generator for windows, preferably one that would work with anim8or (that's what I use - no money for 3DS). If not, I could make do with the one for mac, but I need to know what it's called, where I can get it, and where to find Infini-D or Mechanisto (those are the programs it works with, no?).

Thanks for your time and patience

I'm pretty sure that EVNEW can assemble a rlë8/D from a set of imported renderings of the object. Read the Readme to find out. If that doesn't work, you could do it by hand in your favorite image editor.

If that doesn't work, the spďn generator for MacOS is in the NovaTools "Sprites" package, which can be found here. It takes either a movie or a set of rendered image files (PICT, TIFF, JPEG, etc.), and assembles them into a single PICT file, which can then be copied into your plug-in. It works completely independantly from your 3D program, so you could actually copy the rendered files from your PC, run them through p2s, and copy the resulting file back.

@fnoigy: Speak not of things you know nothing about. In other words: Stop bashing Windows.

Edwards

w00tware's 'Sprites' software suite contains m2s and p2s, both apps for changing movies or pics files into sprites.

They run on macs, so that's the only way I know of to convert spin movie files to sprites. Unless EVNEW (Nova editor for Windoze) can do sprite crunching, I don't know where else you would look.

EDIT: Bah! Edwards beat me to it. If EVNEW doesn't work, send an X by X rendered animation of a ship you've made in anim8or to zugok8 {at} gmail {dot} com, and I'll see what I can do ya for. Unless you've just modeled a ship and aren't sure how to make a spin animation...

This post has been edited by Hamster : 27 May 2005 - 02:41 PM

EVNEW can import individual rendered pictures and put them into a grid...you just have to import each and every one manually, which can be a pain in the butt when you have 108 frames with mask and lights and engine glow...so it can be time consuming but it can be done, I use lightwave 8 which lets you save every frame and frame mask as a bmp, then i just import away.

Doesn't EVNEW let you import a sprite grid and a mask gird, then allow you to convert them to RLEs?

Yes, but there is no windoze app to quickly and painlessly make those grids- out of movie files or multiple images.

Hamster: Okay, so I can just set up a movie in anim8or and send it to you for spin-ing?

Thanks for the help guys!

Oh. That does complicate things, now doesn't it?

What complicates things? Having Windows? Yes, yes it does.

Hamster: once I learn to make movies in anim8or (should wither be within the next two weeks, or not for a few months...summer break is coming, and my home computer sucks the big one. I could buy a new compy after my summer job, but I'd rather have turntables and FLStudio...) then I'll send one to you...or else I'll just take tons of time rotating my ship 10 degrees at a time to make a spin for it. Besides the fact that it looks like s###e, because skinning in anim8or doesn't work like it is supposed to...heh...

Uh, no, I was referring to the post above yours. Sorry, I typed it and forgot to click submit, then cam back a few hours later after you'd already posted.

And couldn't you just have both? That's what I'd do. Hopefully file sharing would work fairly well between OS X and Windows (I'm sure there are horror stories as well as stories of it working perfectly).

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 29 May 2005 - 09:21 PM

On the matter of file sharing, the most reliable way is to share on Windows, and have the Mac access it as a SMB share - it works very well on my (how would you say that in English) résidence étudiante , that’s overloaded with Windows computers.

translates Coed residance?

Stupid computers can't translate for s###. 😉

Anyways, I thought hthat's how it was usually done. Certainly it's what I had in mind when I posted.

I believe you mean your Dorm room. Dorm being short for Dormitory.

Nah, I’m meaning a whole building full of students - and for which it’s the only purpose (you have to prove you’re a student to rent a room).

Hamster, on May 28 2005, 03:22 AM, said:

Yes, but there is no windoze app to quickly and painlessly make those grids- out of movie files or multiple images.
View Post

If you have a screen capture ability, such as the "PrtScr" button on most Windows keyboards, you can take snapshots of whatever ship you want and paste them into MS-Paint, from which you can save them as 24-bit bmps, laid out in whatever kind of a grid you feel like putting them into. Might be a little heavy in terms of memory, but for what it is MS-Paint is an excellent program. While it's not an automated system, it works fairly well and after making all of the graphics it's relatively extremely simple.

Might be a little heavy in terms of patience too. I've lined up 72 squares in Graphic Converter, twice counting masks, thrice counting engine glow, and a fourth time for running lights. It aint happy.

Dash_Merc: Cool. Send me da movie when you've got it, and I'll spin it.

Zacha Pedro, on May 30 2005, 11:59 AM, said:

Nah, I’m meaning a whole building full of students - and for which it’s the only purpose (you have to prove you’re a student to rent a room).
View Post

A student hostelry?

I'm entirely guessing at this point. The translation of what you typed, "résidence étudiente," is literally "student residence". I took that to mean a college dormitory at first. Perhaps you mean an apartment complex that caters only to students?

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 01 June 2005 - 09:55 PM

Yep, the last one.

@hamster:
I probably won't be able to get a spin movie off to you until I get my new, faster laptop next school year. The model I want to include is so freaking video-intensive that there's next to no chance of me getting it to spin. Plus it's not textured...I can't get a textured model, just because the textured one is copyrighted, and only 2 people in the world have it still. And neither has time to do this for me. Darn.

So some day...

That's my favorite phrase, ain't it? "Some day."