NCB question

When you're trying to do a string and you use bits that aren't normally used in the stock scenario how do you tell the bit what to do or how to do it?

If you don't understand my question then just say so and I'll try to clarify it.

Please do.

Scarab, on Jun 1 2005, 09:37 AM, said:

When you're trying to do a string and you use bits that aren't normally used in the stock scenario how do you tell the bit what to do or how to do it?

If you don't understand my question then just say so and I'll try to clarify it.
View Post

Your question isn't really clear, but I'll try to answer it anyway.

A "bit" is just that, one bit of information, which can either be 1 or 0 at any given time. You don't tell it what it means, you tell all of your other resources what to do with it. Lists of what bits "mean" are just a convenient way for humans to remember how they told various resources to interpret the bit.

You tell your plug's resources how to interpret a bit using NCB Test Fields and NCB Set Fields. More information on those can be found at the beginning of the Nova Bible (in your Documentation folder), in Entaurus's NCB Guide, and by looking at missions, ships, systems, and outfits in the Nova data files.

Edwards

(EDIT)Found Entaurus's NCB Guide.

This post has been edited by Edwards : 01 June 2005 - 10:50 AM

Scarab, if a bit is unused by the stock scenereo then you may use it as you will- there are no hard and fast rules on what bit or bit range is for certain things.