Blackhole realistics problem

It's not my fault! I swear!

I've started an Andromida plug and decided to get a blackhole done. I want a huge blackhole that looks realistic, not some tiney thing; so I took a wormhole inverted the color and made it a wee bit larger. Ok maybe more like 4 or 5 times larger (develish grin). I placed it in a new system I had previously made and crossed my fingers. I jumped into the system and the whole computer froze and wouldn't start till I rebooted the computer. I then noticed the sweet look'in graphics took 4 megs. :blink: Is it my computer, the system bits, or can nova just not handle this kind of fire power? :huh:

Please help!

I have a single RLE that takes up 9 megs. It's 640*480 (64 frames and banks). It works (in os9- I don't know about X- apparently Nova behaves differently in X and 9), so it's probably not the game engine. Hope that helps...

It might be the size of the image. I've crashed Nova with things like that.

Couple of points:

1. it's much more likely that you have failed to completely update all the various bits and pieces - if Nova looks for a different size than you are giving it, it will cause problems.

2. to make a realistic black hole you'll probably have to take a different approach -- you could try gravity with a destructive planet.

Don't make it larger, just use the normal size. Go double-check your IDs and resources.

Unfortunately, with a REAL black hole, you would be unable to escape even in a shďp with a speed of 2000. Black holes pull in stuff that is moving at the speed of light or below. So you do have a problem with realistics. It really can't be done unless it is a trap.

purple1, on May 13 2005, 11:37 PM, said:

Unfortunately, with a REAL black hole, you would be unable to escape even in a shďp with a speed of 2000. Black holes pull in stuff that is moving at the speed of light or below. So you do have a problem with realistics. It really can't be done unless it is a trap.
View Post

That's true up to a point, but there's more to the story. Within a certain radius, blackholes don't let anything escape, but outside that radius their gravity is no different than any other massive object. The radius of a black hole starts small and gets larger as more and more stuff gets trapped in it. I'd say the realism problem with this description is the size. There's only one known black hole that's larger than an average size star, which is the one in the center of the galaxy.

I believe that the "point of no return" is known as the Rothschild radius. Don't ask me if it's spelled correctly or where it came from. Okay, your scenario works. Assuming that it is about the size of a smallish planet, you should be able to pass by it without getting killed.

"Event Horizon"

rmx256, on May 14 2005, 03:37 AM, said:

"Event Horizon"
View Post

Creeeepy

Re: size -- most black holes are quite small, theoretically speaking. I'm not sure that there has yet been a fully confirmed sighting of a black hole. The one at the centre of our galaxy is to a large extent conjectural -- we expect one to be at the centre of a galaxy, and we see some behaviours which are characteristic of the conjectured blackhole.

A blackhole which was physically the size of our sun would have an absolutely enormous wash and in game terms would mean that you couldn't be in the system at all.

BTW, black hole is a misnomer. A black hole would be the brightest object in the sky, because of the radiation flare of objects approaching the event horizon.

Well I'll check it over, let me refaise the word 'realistic' to big and cool. The main prob is I think the system may have had AIs in it, what would that do though, I got to go. Talk more later.

(pretend Im Neb, cos i am)

1. Scale in EVN means nothing

2. Black holes are very black, if theres a gas giant near them, they will have an accretion disk. This will glow brightly.

3. There are bright jets of gamma rays shooting out of both poles of spinning black holes (which im pretty sure is all of them).

4. The graphics engine really, really hates big images. An 8 meg single image is muhc worse than an 8 meg sprite, for example.

purple1, on May 14 2005, 02:43 AM, said:

Rothschild radius.
View Post

rmx256, on May 14 2005, 03:37 AM, said:

"Event Horizon"
View Post

Schwarzschild Radius.
R s = 2 G M / c^2

From this site.

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 14 May 2005 - 09:02 PM

byteme, on May 14 2005, 03:53 PM, said:

(pretend Im Neb, cos i am)

1. Scale in EVN means nothing

2. Black holes are very black, if theres a gas giant near them, they will have an accretion disk. This will glow brightly.

3. There are bright jets of gamma rays shooting out of both poles of spinning black holes (which im pretty sure is all of them).

4. The graphics engine really, really hates big images. An 8 meg single image is muhc worse than an 8 meg sprite, for example.
    View Post

~continuation.

1. The misnomer of blackholehood is not because they are big glowing things, but because of Hawking radiation. According to quantum theory, the immesurability of the vacuum of space tells us that there is constant chaos at the Planck level: quarks and antiquarks appearing simultaneusly from nothing, traveling a short distance, and annihalating. Near a black hole, however, sometimes the antiquark can get sucked into the event horizon, freeing the quark. Since the quark will now not annihalate, and we know the laws of thermodynamics, the energy had to come from somewhere: inside the black hole. This is the radiation by which black holes are not black.

2. Also, matter can survive within the event horizon of a black hole. According to Einsteinian theory, this survival is irrelevant, given that there is no escape, but since Hawking has demonstrated that it is possible for an event horizon to shrink, this is no longer an assumed truth. The messy part about being inside an event horizon of a black hole, however, is that you are in there with a singularity: a physical divide-by-zero. Time is also rather ######ed, but for now, this is obviously all theory.

But, if the blackhole is sucking in everything it would theoreticly (sp?) have an awsome force that would be spat (reflected) out off the matter thrown out around the radius of the hole causing a rift (event horison). There would then be a space bordering the blace hole exerting an equilised force, a.k.a. a nongavity aria. If I can I'll paste a scanned picture. Ok, now that I've confused several people, how would you simulate this anti-force on the Nova engine? :huh:

A spob (how do you do the cool think with the cool two dots over the o?) that has a weap that always fires at you, with really high recoil. And the weapon is invisible. And the range of the weapon is at the edge of the anti-force thing or whatever. Just a thought. And my opinion: Just use a $^@* wormhole graphic.

zapp, on May 16 2005, 08:51 PM, said:

A spob (how do you do the cool think with the cool two dots over the o?) that has a weap that always fires at you, with really high recoil. And the weapon is invisible. And the range of the weapon is at the edge of the anti-force thing or whatever. Just a thought. And my opinion: Just use a $^@* wormhole graphic.
View Post

You go "&(vowel)uml;". If you're on a mac you can also go option-u and then the vowel but I don't think it displays properly on PCs.

In theory anything can become a "black hole" or more like a point singularity(point singularities are idealized non rotating black holes, which probably don't exist in nature), so your computer monitor could turn into one if you got it small enough (this comes from the Schwarzschild Radius) I think the best way to do this is to have a "planet" with lots of gravity and the destroy ship on contact flag. The black hole doesn't have to be large, infact the point singularity kinda sums it up, real small(I'm not saying that the event horizion or accretion disk are small). So I'd say just use a gas giant sized black hole image and use that, I'm sure that people with get the point (no pun intended).