I was wondering...

Outfit plug-in question

I've been looking around for a basic list (or perhaps guide) for the resources I'd need to create an outfit plug. I'm totally new at this, so anything would help.

Thanks in advance, Bird of War

First of all, you'll need the EV Nova Bible. That should be with your documentation that came with the game. If not, you can always Google it.

Now, what you need next depends on what platform you're using (Windows 98, Mac OSX, etc.)

I have a Mac, and I use Resedit 2.1.3. Click on the name here if you wish to download. It's free.

Next, I would highly reccomend a copy of a guide called TutorialsInS.It can also be downloaded here. It's a tutorial program that teaches new developers how to create systems, planets, modify graphics, and create a basic ship. It also has a copy of an empty plug, with a template created by the gang at Nova for use with Resedit.

With these two items I have, in about 2 weeks, taught myself a lot about developing plugs.

If you have Windows you will need a program other than Resedit (I think it's called EVNew). But since I know next to nothing about Windows plug development, I'll leave that to somone else.

Hope this helps you, and good luck with your first plug-in!

Bird of War, on May 7 2005, 09:01 AM, said:

I've been looking around for a basic list (or perhaps guide) for the resources I'd need to create an outfit plug. I'm totally new at this, so anything would help.

Thanks in advance, Bird of War
View Post

Step one: Chose an editor.
ResEdit with NovaTools is very good for Mac users- it's what ATMOS used to make the game.
MissionComputer is another good Mac editor, although some of the editing windows are a bit hard to use.
If you're on Windows, the only editor available is EVNEW.

Step two: Read and follow tutorials.
As it happens, Zacha Pedro's excellent beginning plug design tutorials deal with outfits:
NovaTools Tutorial
MissionComputer Tutorial
(unfortunately, there isn't a tutorial for EVNEW. (ad)If an experienced EVNEW user wants to make one, you should get in touch with Zacha Pedro(/ad)).

Step three: Learn about the resources.
Read the EV Nova Bible Explained to Dummies, and then read the section of the Nova Bible that explains the resource you are going to work with. Also, you may want to read Zacha Pedro's Annnotated Templates:
dësc, düde, gövt, oütf, shďp, spöb, s˙st, and wëap

Step four: Play around.
Make lots of pointless plug-ins, whatever you feel like making. Plug-making ability improves with practice.

I hope this helps.
Edwards

Thanks for very much for your replys, they've helped a lot.

Thanks again, Bird of War

Edwards, that was a spot-on response. You could have just sent Bird of War to wade through the All the Important Links You'll Ever Need topic (still perhaps a good idea), but instead you gave stunningly concise and informative directions to a bunch of excellent advice sources. OK, the things you point to may almost all be pure ZP, but they're gold.

A beautiful post, man. I may be quoting it.

B o' W, you'll also be needing to read through the "Nova Bible" text file that comes with EVN, which was written by the game's programmer. You'll see this document referred to in almost everything else you read.