New plug

comments wanted

Hello all,
I've just uploaded a plug to the Ambrosia website called GyfferAlpha. It has a new government, a new system, and a number of new ships and outfits. I'm looking for comments on what I've done so far. I hope to turn this start into a major storyline about a struggle between competing arms companies, Gyfferan Industries and GLiTechNia. The new ships are either modified from existing EVN ships or based on Onyx's models. Thanks Onyx!

Raventhief, on Apr 23 2005, 07:22 PM, said:

Hello all,
I've just uploaded a plug to the Ambrosia website called GyfferAlpha. It has a new government, a new system, and a number of new ships and outfits. I'm looking for comments on what I've done so far. I hope to turn this start into a major storyline about a struggle between competing arms companies, Gyfferan Industries and GLiTechNia. The new ships are either modified from existing EVN ships or based on Onyx's models. Thanks Onyx!
View Post

Personally I think it's a decent idea - especially if the ships from the two governments utilise new, differing, technology, which they have developed. And it's also one I haven't heard before.

But I don't think you will get many decent reviews from respected plug makers round here merely based on a plug with very little work done on it.

I think if you stick with it, and build it up, it could become a very decent plug. What I would suggest though, is that when you are near to completing the plug, go to the developer or graphics corner, and ask someone to create you some new slick looking graphics for your plug. Provided your plug is good, someone will take you up on your offer. Nothing against Onyx, you understand, but his graphics are free to be used by anyone, and thus are overused and are not 'special' anymore.

pp0u20e8, on Apr 23 2005, 08:49 PM, said:

<snip>
View Post

I'm mostly looking for criticism on the ships I've already made for balance purposes. And, frankly, I've lost a bit of steam on the project and was maybe hoping for some encouraging responses. Meh.

Well, for one thing, it isn't even available on the page (pipeline, the Nova add-ons moderator, approves all uploaded plugins). Another thing, you only posted this topic 4 and a half hours ago, wait at least a few days for replies.

This post has been edited by Mispeled : 23 April 2005 - 09:20 PM

Good to see Onyx's ships about- if you haven't already RLE'd them I can send them to you- I used them for my TC before it was a TC. They're pretty nice.

Nice plug. I like it. There's one itsy-bitsy problem: It uses some of the same resource ID's of my plug, Battlestar GalacticaV1.3. The government of Gyfferan Industries has the same ID as the Colonials, so Gyffer ships are fighting Cylon ships. They handle pretty well against the Raiders, when the Basestars come KABOOM. They didn't stand a chance. Another combatibility problem is dude problems. Your Gyfferan Capitol and Courier has the same ID as the Colonial Fleet and and the Colonial Trade Fleet. If you could move the IDs to 278 and 279 that would fix that. The last problem I found were weapons. The 400mm Turreted Railgun, Particle Projection Cannon and the Phaser Beam have the same ID as the Elite Raider Bay, Raider Bay, and Cylon Missle Launcher. If you could please fix these incompatibilities, that would be much appreciated, as I would love to play my plug and yours without any problems. Other than that, it's great!

Zapp, asking him to change his resources to stop them clashing with yours is ridiculous and extremely selfish.

Should he change his resources so they don't clash with any plug in the add on section?

If you want to play both plugs at the same time, wouldn't it be better and easier to change one of the plugs that are on your computer, so that they don't clash?

If you noticed I ASKED, and even said PLEASE. When you have a plug, you want it to be as compatible with other plugs as possible. I know it's not possible to have every plugin to be compatible (the very idea is upsurd) but it would be nice to be compatible with as many as you can possibly know about. Also, he asked for feedback and I'm giving it to him. What would be selfish is if I asked people on this very topic what they think of my plug, pushing aside Raventhief. I'm not that kind of person.

Just tacking please on to the beginning of a request does not make it any less selfish, it would just be politely selfish, not rudely selfish.

However, I don't think asking him to change the ID's is selfish out of the question, as he has no obligation to, and if he's like me would tell you to do it yourself. Referring to it as an "itsy bitsy problem" implies that it is a problem with his plug - which it is not. Even if it is not meant as such, phrasing things like that comes off as a little selfish.

I'm sorry I came off as selfish, I made them compatible on my own comp. I don't mean to be selfish...

I'm on a Mac, and my Plug-in converter is telling me this isn't a valid .rez file.

Eugene Chin, on Apr 28 2005, 04:20 AM, said:

I'm on a Mac, and my Plug-in converter is telling me this isn't a valid .rez file.
View Post

Hm, that's interesting. Has anyone else on a Mac tried to convert? Is there a program that can convert .rez to mac format for windows? Where can I get it?

I used the plugin converter available on the site. I have been using it to convert the rez files without issue.

I think the problem was caused by the version of Stuffit I was using. I was able to convert the file with a diffrent version.

Raventhief, on Apr 28 2005, 05:25 PM, said:

Hm, that's interesting. Has anyone else on a Mac tried to convert? Is there a program that can convert .rez to mac format for windows? Where can I get it?
View Post

Heh, I had been grappling that same question for the last few months. But there is a way I am happy to say. It involves setting up a MAC emulator like "Basilisk II" on your PC. Once you are successful in running a phony MAC environment then you can download David Arthur's MAC plug-in converter and run it inside windows to reconvert rezs back to MAC format. Try searching the boards for more info on MAC converters because I'm at work right now and my time on the computer is short. Good luck!

Prof. ADN

EDIT to the last post:

I meant to say search for MAC emulators (bonks self...)

I think it's a great idea Raventhief. 😄 As soon as I get done figuring out what the heck is going wrong with my plug, I'll be sure to download this one and immediately plug in and start playing. I'd been thinking about making some rivals to GilTechNia after reading their desc again yesterday and I'm glad somebody's already got some competiton out there! I hate monopolies. :mad: