Resedit clipboard trouble.

Copying huge images.

I have a HUGE image that i need to copy into resedit. The clipboard can´t do it.

I do not remember the file type i should save as, and I can´t find the topic where someone told me.

Does anyone remember.

I tried RAW.. but that just opens as a much smaller pict file in Resedit.

Get Photoshop, or maybe GraphicConverter. Save as PICT Resource. Not just PICT, PICT Resource. That'll save a file with the PICT already in the resource fork. (Makes sense, eh?)

You can then copy it into your plugin, assuming it fits within the file size limitations.

This post has been edited by Weepul 884 : 15 March 2005 - 09:54 PM

ResEdit can't handle a resource file more than 15 megs as far as I know. It's not bigger than that? I paste 9 and 10 meg all the time.

What's also possible is save as a PICT file and then use ResPloder on it to turn it into a PICT resource. That is, if it's less than 16 MB.

rmx256, on Mar 16 2005, 05:30 AM, said:

ResEdit can't handle a resource file more than 15 megs as far as I know. It's not bigger than that? I paste 9 and 10 meg all the time.
View Post

It handled my file..
It is 136 mb.. 😛

But EnRLE said no.

Is there another way to RLE something without EnRLE.

While experimented yesterday, i recogniced that the Targa format, has a checkbox called RLE.

How large will the final file be? After it is EnRLEd.. I guess Pace won´t be to happy with a 20mb+ file.

Btw: thanks everyone.

This post has been edited by modesty_blaise_us : 16 March 2005 - 07:53 AM

modesty_blaise_us, on Mar 16 2005, 04:20 AM, said:

It handled my file..
It is 136 mb.. 😛

(snip)

How large will the final file be? After it is EnRLEd.. I guess Pace won´t be to happy with a 20mb+ file.
View Post

Um. I'm surprised the OS isn't even more unhappy than Pace will be. 😛 You were really able to get that PICT into the resource fork? Seriously? And that resource file is over 16 MB? That shouldn't be possible... :blink:

So yeah. 136 MB image equals no. How could you even make an image that large? I once made an explosion, 350x350 per frame, 7x7 frames...it was 2450x2450 pixels all told, and once in 16-bit, only 7 MB. Though frankly, I'm worried one ship I have in the works will go over 16 MB...but not nearly 136.

(/astonished)

modesty_blaise_us, on Mar 16 2005, 12:20 PM, said:

It handled my file..
It is 136 mb.. 😛

But EnRLE said no.

Is there another way to RLE something without EnRLE.

While experimented yesterday, i recogniced that the Targa format, has a checkbox called RLE.

Btw: thanks everyone.
View Post

😮

Strong Bad said:

Holy crap!

Weepul 884, on Mar 16 2005, 01:51 PM, said:

Um. I'm surprised the OS isn't even more unhappy than Pace will be. 😛 You were really able to get that PICT into the resource fork? Seriously? And that resource file is over 16 MB? That shouldn't be possible... :blink:

So yeah. 136 MB image equals no. How could you even make an image that large? I once made an explosion, 350x350 per frame, 7x7 frames...it was 2450x2450 pixels all told, and once in 16-bit, only 7 MB. Though frankly, I'm worried one ship I have in the works will go over 16 MB...but not nearly 136.

(/astonished)
View Post

Ok.. what i did.. I dont think i got 136 mb into the resource fork. I think i confused some numbers, sorry about that.

The resource file is "only" 13mb.

What i have done so far:

The files M2s made, and there are 18 of them, are from 7mb-38mb.

The tiffs i then made are 296 mb.
6000x16000 pixels. the frames are 1000x1000.

I then put it through graphic converter, and made pict resources.

Opened that in Resedit. The resedit size thing says something like 13619264. God knows what that number is.

Copied it into my plugin. And made the spin.
The spin works in resedit preview.

Posted Image
I get this when i try to save in resedit. But the plugin still seems to be same when i open it again. Even if i choose no when i save.

The resedit plugin file is only 13 mb..and so is the pict resource.
I got a -39 error when i tried to save the file the first time, but it seems to work ok now.

But EnRLE is very unhappy. Does not even start the process.
Any idea how to do this.

Is it really necessary? Or will the Pict work just fine in Nova?

This post has been edited by modesty_blaise_us : 16 March 2005 - 11:52 AM

That error is for when the file's too big. However, sometimes you can get that error when copying data around, like if you delete a resource and paste something else in it can give you an error because it didn't really delete the other thing yet...or something along those lines, since it's been quite a while since I figured out what the problem was and I don't remember.

If you can save the file such that the PICTs and the spďn are in the file fine, EnRLE ought to be able to handle it...

Try making the PICT only 2000 or 4000 pixels wide, and very tall. I believe there are some width restrictions on the PICT format (which apparently can be circumvented, but EnRLE might not like that).

It's best to EnRLE, if you can.

I've done a lot of copying and pasting large quatities of images - sometimes you can trick ResEdit into letting you pste more in. It's all about the order. if you paste 5 1MB PICTS into an 8MB file and then paste in a 3MB PICT, it might yell at you. But if you paste the 3MB PICT in first and then pate in the 5 1MB PICTS, it might squeeze them in. It's kinda weird sometimes.

13619264 is the number of bytes in the file. You divide it by 1,048,576 (or, iof you're lazy, 1,000,000) to obtain the size in MegaBytes (~13MB).

I don't think it's a really good idea to have such huge stuff, especially for En/DeRle. It's probably overflowing their internal structures and stuff, even if you allocate them gobs of memory (or you run OSX that gives them as much memory as they need). I don't think Nova will like such huge stuff either. My advice: lower your expectations. I mean, do you actually need 96 frames doing 1000 pixels high and wide each (more than what most screens can actually show)??!!

Zacha Pedro, on Mar 17 2005, 01:20 PM, said:

13619264 is the number of bytes in the file. You divide it by 1,048,576 (or, iof you're lazy, 1,000,000) to obtain the size in MegaBytes (~13MB).

I don't think it's a really good idea to have such huge stuff, especially for En/DeRle. It's probably overflowing their internal structures and stuff, even if you allocate them gobs of memory (or you run OSX that gives them as much memory as they need). I don't think Nova will like such huge stuff either. My advice: lower your expectations. I mean, do you actually need 96 frames doing 1000 pixels high and wide each (more than what most screens can actually show)??!!
View Post

It would be nice.

But i think i´ll have to make it a little smaller.
500*500.. should work.. hopefully.

I can testify tht enRle can handle 640640 by (723) frame sprites fine. Takes a lot of memory though.

rmx256, on Mar 17 2005, 02:38 PM, said:

I can testify tht enRle can handle 640640 by (723) frame sprites fine. Takes a lot of memory though.
View Post

Thanks a lot.. i´ll test that.

I think 640*640 should work..

modesty_blaise_us, on Mar 16 2005, 09:48 AM, said:

Ok.. what i did.. I dont think i got 136 mb into the resource fork. I think i confused some numbers, sorry about that.

The resource file is "only" 13mb.

What i have done so far:

The files M2s made, and there are 18 of them, are from 7mb-38mb.

The tiffs i then made are 296 mb.
6000x16000 pixels. the frames are 1000x1000.

I then put it through graphic converter, and made pict resources.

Opened that in Resedit. The resedit size thing says something like 13619264. God knows what that number is.

Copied it into my plugin. And made the spin.
The spin works in resedit preview.

Posted Image
I get this when i try to save in resedit. But the plugin still seems to be same when i open it again. Even if i choose no when i save.

The resedit plugin file is only 13 mb..and so is the pict resource.
I got a -39 error when i tried to save the file the first time, but it seems to work ok now.

But EnRLE is very unhappy. Does not even start the process.
Any idea how to do this.

Is it really necessary? Or will the Pict work just fine in Nova?
View Post

OOH! OOH!! I KNOW THIS ONE!! PICK ME! MEMEMEMEE!! Ok, I've gotten this error too, and ToLazyToMakeAnAccount told me it was allotted memory issues. Resedit isn't allowed enough RAM, and gets an error when it tries to use more than it's allowed. Go find the ResEdit program itself, right-click and click "Get Info", and under the "Memory" tab, change the minimum and maximum memory. I'm guessing it's currently not very much. I don't know how much RAM you have, but I have 896MB, so I have Resedit allowed 8MB of RAM minimum, and 128MB maximum.

Well, this also happens when, regardless of memory, you ask ResEdit to do a file that's more than 16MB.

😄 modesty, I only noticed this. It doesn't make me unhappy, no worries. I guess we'll have to try to get the maximum reasonable size for it
It can always be made smaller without it causing a problem.

(cryptic grin for the others)

Fnoigy, on Mar 18 2005, 03:34 AM, said:

OOH! OOH!! I KNOW THIS ONE!! PICK ME! MEMEMEMEE!! Ok, I've gotten this error too, and ToLazyToMakeAnAccount told me it was allotted memory issues. Resedit isn't allowed enough RAM, and gets an error when it tries to use more than it's allowed. Go find the ResEdit program itself, right-click and click "Get Info", and under the "Memory" tab, change the minimum and maximum memory. I'm guessing it's currently not very much. I don't know how much RAM you have, but I have 896MB, so I have Resedit allowed 8MB of RAM minimum, and 128MB maximum.
View Post

Mine is at 500mb so i do not think that is the issue.

It's probably the file size.

Pace (haldora), on Mar 18 2005, 11:40 AM, said:

😄 modesty, I only noticed this. It doesn't make me unhappy, no worries. I guess we'll have to try to get the maximum reasonable size for it
It can always be made smaller without it causing a problem.

(cryptic grin for the others)
View Post

Good to hear..
Yes and yes..