Making a gun pass over all ships?

Is it possible to make a gun pass over all ships and only hit roids? I can't get the damage low enough to make it useless as a weapon .

Set the ProxSafety field to a number greater than the weapon's LifeCount.

Is this for an asteroid miner or something? Setting the energy damage to zero would make it pretty useless against ships.

Edwards: Doesn't the prox safety only affect the proxradius? Ie, a direct hit will still detonate it.

Just make it a planet-type weapon and it won't hit ships. Of course, it will hit planets, but just think of the planet as a very large asteroid, which technically it is.

PBoat101, on Feb 6 2005, 08:53 PM, said:

Just make it a planet-type weapon and it won't hit ships. Of course, it will hit planets, but just think of the planet as a very large asteroid, which technically it is.
View Post

If it is indeed for an AI to use, we wouldn't want key planets being destroyed when you have to land on 'em for a mission that's got a deadline.

from Guy said:

Edwards: Doesn't the prox safety only affect the proxradius? Ie, a direct hit will still detonate it.

No, that is a known "bug" (Matt Burch, please don't fix it!). A shot cannot hit anything except asteroids before ProxSafety frames have passed. If you set the "Passes over Asteroids" flag, the weapon will also miss asteroids (although it's in the seeker flags, it works for any weapon type).

This post has been edited by Edwards : 06 February 2005 - 09:12 PM

Edwards, on Feb 6 2005, 09:10 PM, said:

No, that is a known "bug" (Matt Burch, please don't fix it!). A shot cannot hit anything except asteroids before ProxSafety frames have passed. If you set the "Passes over Asteroids" flag, the weapon will also miss asteroids (although it's in the seeker flags, it works for any weapon type).
View Post

Sweet. You indeed are Eugene Chin v 2.0. I'm going to lock you in a cage and force you to develop more devving techniques like this.

Actually, I'm just paraphrasing Weepul 884 (right down to the "don't fix it" message). The original message was posted here.

Edwards, on Feb 7 2005, 03:27 AM, said:

Actually, I'm just paraphrasing Weepul 884 (right down to the "don't fix it" message). The original message was posted here.
View Post

Oh yeah, I did read that.

What for do you need a weapon that doesn't hit anything?

Probably just an asteroid miner with a fast reload that doesnt work as a weapon?

This post has been edited by NebuchadnezzaR : 07 February 2005 - 10:00 AM

Sounds like a handy way to mine roids without worrying about aggrivating any AI vessels. Pretty cool idea.

Sounds like a handy way to mine roids without worrying about aggrivating any AI vessels. Pretty cool idea.

Maybe you could do that with a Lance? I'm really tired of accidentally bulldozing carriers and having to sacrifice my kiloton of opals...

Sorry, doesn't work foer beams.

Are there any ways to make a beam/weapon that doesn't stop advancing after it hits something? Like a large area-of-effet beam weapon that hit all ships that were in front of it?

wow....i feel stupid.... set the energy damage to zero!!!!! Grrr. Thanks a lot everyone.

If you use this on a cheap seeker weapon that has a high durability, you've got a weapon that drives point-defenses nuts.

rmx256, on Feb 11 2005, 06:45 PM, said:

Are there any ways to make a beam/weapon that doesn't stop advancing after it hits something? Like a large area-of-effect beam weapon that hit all ships that were in front of it?
View Post

That would be really cool, and kinda cheap... Basically punches through a ship's hull, and keeps going... In theory, this wouldn't work if they still had shields, I suppose.

I always wanted to find a way that if you killed a ship with a beam, the beam would continue through the target, in a Gundam-like fashion.

This post has been edited by SpacePirate : 11 February 2005 - 08:14 PM

rmx256, on Feb 11 2005, 10:45 PM, said:

Are there any ways to make a beam/weapon that doesn't stop advancing after it hits something? Like a large area-of-effet beam weapon that hit all ships that were in front of it?
View Post

Well the simplest way would be to download EV. 😛

If the nova conversion of ev is accurate in that respect, guy, than all one would need to do would be study the datafiles of the ev port. i wouldn't beleive that there would be an effect in ev that couldn't be replicated in nova