wings3d+evnew

making evnew understand .wings files

does anyone know how to convert wings 3d files into a format that evnew understands? and how about savings rederings?

What you are asking for would take months, if not years, to do...

Rather, try rendering the wings file in a different 3D program, such as pov-ray, strata, or blender, and import the rendered image into EVNEW.

~ SP

There is no way to do that. Wings can only export to other 3d model formats. What you will need to do (as SpacePirate said) is get yourself a rendering program. Wings on its own is a great little 3d modeller but it has no animation or rendering features so it is (on its own) no use for making ships for EV.

First off, get yourself another 3d program which has rendering capabilities. There are loads of them out there from free to really expensive. I myself use Strata 3D - Pro version now, but used to use a free version for many years.

Then export your ship from Wings to another 3d format ( .3ds is usually the best if your other program supports it).

Now you will need to texture your ship in the new program.

Next, spin the ship through 360degrees either manually and rendering each frame after you have rotated, or by creating an animation and rendering it as a movie. You may need to make several different spins as with NOVA you can have banking sprites, engine glows, running lights, animated sections, etc, etc!

After that you will need to assemble the sprite in a painting type program (Photoshop or Fireworks or something like that would do). After that, save as a format EVNEW accepts and "Robert is most definitely your mother's uncle" as they say!

Best of luck figuring out what I just wrote 😛

Read the FAQ. I have a pretty good post on 3D programs there.

Matrix

This post has been edited by what_is_the_matrix : 25 September 2004 - 09:31 AM