EnRLE is being unpleasant,

It screws up my nice shan resc...

I made my nice 6x36 frame PICT files for the base/mask, along with the coresponding lights/mask, and glow/mask files. I put them in a shan resource and everything worked fine.

However, when I tried to use EnRLE on the file, it only did the lights and engine glow animations correctly. The base ship animation spun, but while scrolling the ship upwards through all 6 different animation frames. I've never used EnRLE before, never made a ship either, so I might be doing it wrong. (I can send the file if anyone wants to see it.)

On a side note, what RID#s should I use for the base/mask, lights/mask, and glow/mask PICTs?
I dont want them to conflict with anything Nova is already using.

Any help would be apreciated.

I experineced the same. I think had something with either my frames beeing 9 in in each Row..
Or the fact that the way i pasted them togheter in photoshop didn´t match..
I´m not sure

Sorry it´s all the help i can give...
I had to paste them in photoshop cause m2s would not handle all at a time..

it was somwhere near 1000 frames...

And don´t try to enrle 1000 frames at 100 X 100.. EnRLE has some weird limits...

modesty_blaise_us, on Sep 14 2004, 10:50 PM, said:

I experineced the same. I think had something with either my frames beeing 9 in in each Row..
Or the fact that the way i pasted them togheter in photoshop didn´t match..
I´m not sure

Sorry it´s all the help i can give...
I had to paste them in photoshop cause m2s would not handle all at a time..

it was somwhere near 1000 frames...

And don´t try to enrle 1000 frames at 100 X 100.. EnRLE has some weird limits...
View Post

Well that might be it, but my lights and engine glow PICTs have the same number of frames as my ship PICTs, and they come out fine...

EnRLE is very flaky. Try using spins instead of a shan. It's not as complimicated (that was intentional), so ENRLE may have an easier time with it. It may also just be weird and work with one thing but not the other.

If you can't get it to work, you can send me the files and I can EnRLE them for you. 🙂

Guess who didn't know his cookie had expired? <_<

Picquilarius, on Sep 14 2004, 10:56 PM, said:

Well that might be it, but my lights and engine glow PICTs have the same number of frames as my ship PICTs, and they come out fine...
View Post

Well, I could send it to you, but then I would miss out on a valuable learning experience. 😄

I'm new to the whole ship making thing, so perhaps you could enlighten me. I thought that shan/rleD/and rle8 were for ships, and spin was for weapons/explosions/and spobs. How would I use a spin when the shan resource has all that extra data for lights,weapons etc...?

The spin would just be temporary -- you would use it to tell EnRLE the layout of your sprite, then write the shan after you had gotten your RLEs.

Have you tried the "manual layout" option in EnRLE?

Dr. Trowel, on Sep 15 2004, 03:50 PM, said:

The spin would just be temporary -- you would use it to tell EnRLE the layout of your sprite, then write the shan after you had gotten your RLEs.

Have you tried the "manual layout" option in EnRLE?
View Post

Oh, duh, I forgot that En RLE just makes the rle D and rle 8 files. Heh, told you I was new at this... So the shan resource mererly looks to the rleD and rle8 files for the sprites? They're just refrence resources for the shan?

Thanks I'll try that out when I get home.

(EDIT)The spin doesn't use the light or engine glow graphics, so how would that work for use with a shan? And what "manual layout" option would that be? I'm running EnRLE 1.0.0 on OS9.2.2 and I dont see anything like that.(/EDIT)

This post has been edited by Picquilarius : 15 September 2004 - 09:19 PM

Picquilarius, on Sep 15 2004, 08:02 PM, said:

Oh, duh, I forgot that En RLE just makes the rle D and rle 8 files. Heh, told you I was new at this... So the shan resource mererly looks to the rleD and rle8 files for the sprites? They're just refrence resources for the shan?

Thanks I'll try that out when I get home.

(EDIT)The spin doesn't use the light or engine glow graphics, so how would that work for use with a shan? And what "manual layout" option would that be? I'm running EnRLE 1.0.0 on OS9.2.2 and I dont see anything like that.(/EDIT)
View Post

Make a spďn for the light PICTs and a spďn for the engine glow PICTs.