New Jumping System?

Did anyone ever think that it might be cool if hyper space jumps in Escape Velocity were more like the ones in Ares? Where the Galaxy would be one giant contiguous one. I always thought it might add some realism if you actually had to manually configure your jump route and the speed at which you'd have to take it. But then I thought, you'd have to have a better way of scanning for ships and determining your area in space. It would require a more interactive map tool, where you could zoom all the way out of space and detect ships within a certain radius of you. Anyone think that'd be cool?

Welcome to the boards.

Since I've never played Ares I can't compare it with EV, sorry. And, while your ideas do sound cool, I don't know if they would even be possible in EV. My guess would be not. 🙂

You mean the universe should work like a single, extremely large system?

I've always thought this would be really cool, but the way the game engine is designed definitely wouldn't allow it.

The fact is, all of the ships that are currently in your region of space are kept in the computer's memory, so trying to include the entire galaxy in this would mean hundreds or even thousands of ships, not to mention having to calculate AI moves and weapon trajectories across the whole thing. Of course a smartly designed game engine could probably approximate some of the stuff that happens far away, but it's still much more complex.

Actually if you think about it, Ares doesn't really have a continuous galaxy by any means -- every map is a single star system, and the only way to go between them is by means of jump gates (which incidentally, EV Nova has). The "warp" capability is really more of an in-system warp.

I suppose the closest thing to this would be something like an afterburner, although it's definitely a different technology used for different purposes.

Anyway, as cool as it would be, because this kind of system is so different from what's done in EV, it'll have to be left to discussion on theoretical or future game engines.

@firebird, on Feb 17 2008, 08:50 PM, said in New Jumping System?:

I've always thought this would be really cool, but the way the game engine is designed definitely wouldn't allow it.

The fact is, all of the ships that are currently in your region of space are kept in the computer's memory, so trying to include the entire galaxy in this would mean hundreds or even thousands of ships, not to mention having to calculate AI moves and weapon trajectories across the whole thing. Of course a smartly designed game engine could probably approximate some of the stuff that happens far away, but it's still much more complex.

Actually if you think about it, Ares doesn't really have a continuous galaxy by any means -- every map is a single star system, and the only way to go between them is by means of jump gates (which incidentally, EV Nova has). The "warp" capability is really more of an in-system warp.

I suppose the closest thing to this would be something like an afterburner, although it's definitely a different technology used for different purposes.

Anyway, as cool as it would be, because this kind of system is so different from what's done in EV, it'll have to be left to discussion on theoretical or future game engines.

EV4 anyone?

😉

@undead_shadow, on Feb 28 2008, 10:40 AM, said in New Jumping System?:

EV4 anyone?

😉

EV4 everyone!

@martinz, on Feb 29 2008, 07:11 PM, said in New Jumping System?:

EV4 everyone!

If only dreams came true 🙂 :wub:

I'm still looking forward to EV4 being a multiplayer game setup. Is there a plugin for any of the other EVs (specifically EVN) that allows for multiplayer right now, or is that just a concept so far?

@duke_juker, on Mar 6 2008, 03:54 AM, said in New Jumping System?:

I'm still looking forward to EV4 being a multiplayer game setup. Is there a plugin for any of the other EVs (specifically EVN) that allows for multiplayer right now, or is that just a concept so far?

Oh yeah that's a great idea!

And it would be really cool if EV4 was 3D too. Do it! =D