Override port.... Explain please?

Basics are: Ive been playing ev ON THE MAC since the begginning, classic 1.05. Nova (unregistered) then override 1.0 (found it on a macworld disc etc...)

I have now registered Nova and still had classic + override on an older machine.

classic and override are unregistered so imagine my delight when i found the port... (this is off the the Official Ambrosia CD)
Classic port runs perfectly fine (baring some missions never turning up)

But override (why? why? why???) messes up! Now I understand that the port has some differences to EVC but surely it cant be that different.

My problem with this is the guns and turrets are on the same band/thing. E.g if a ship has 4 guns and 2 turrets. i can have 2 turrets OR 2 guns (or 1 of each) but not six diff weapons. my fighting style needs all available weapons/spaces.... i dont like missiles and I should have to use them/ change my fighting style to over come this...

As i said above I can't play override on my old mac because of hector stealing my stuff and some missions don't complete. (plus im guessing that the port will be of the newest version of Override and I want to see any changes) and i dont want to pay for all three games when the ports are supposed to work.

I've posted about this before with no proper feedback given (in guys override port forum) or less then I would have appreciated.

Question: How do I rectify this bug? is there a plugin or can I do it my self?

I appreciate all the time and effort that have gone into the ports and the games themselfs and I'm sorry if this post is offensive but I just want to play Override again and fully enjoy it.....

Thanks for reading and thanks even more if you post 😛

The original EVC and Override ports are not perfect. There is a better one out there made by Guy, which you can find here.

@undead_shadow, on Dec 11 2007, 03:10 PM, said in Override port.... Explain please?:

My problem with this is the guns and turrets are on the same band/thing. E.g if a ship has 4 guns and 2 turrets. i can have 2 turrets OR 2 guns (or 1 of each) but not six diff weapons. my fighting style needs all available weapons/spaces.... i dont like missiles and I should have to use them/ change my fighting style to over come this...

Sorry, its not a bug. Its a feature.

Even the original, stand-alone Override application had this, and, unless there is something wrong with your copy, it should be that way in your unregistered copy too. I know it puts a cramp in your combat style, but, frankly, thats the point. The AI can only have four weapons, and its hardly fair that you can have essentially double the firepower by exploiting your gun and turret maximums. Try using maneuvering to beat your foes, instead of blunt force.

It wasn't like that in the original 1.0.0 though, which is the version he has. Part of the reason for it was that the engine at the time wouldn't allow AI ships to fire more than one weapon at a time, so this was to counter that. Of course this is no longer valid in Nova so you can find a plug which changes it in the EVO Extras package from the link in my sig, along with the real EV/O ports 😄 (Mackilroy has unfortunately linked to the same old buggy port you already have)

This post has been edited by Guy : 11 December 2007 - 05:42 PM

@guy, on Dec 11 2007, 09:37 PM, said in Override port.... Explain please?:

It wasn't like that in the original 1.0.0 though, which is the version he has. Part of the reason for it was that the engine at the time wouldn't allow AI ships to fire more than one weapon at a time, so this was to counter that. Of course this is no longer valid in Nova so you can find a plug which changes it in the EVO Extras package from the link in my sig, along with the real EV/O ports 😄 (Mackilroy has unfortunately linked to the same old buggy port you already have)

Yeah, well, that was sort of the appeal at the time, really. It made EVO hard, which is more than EV:Classic or Nova can claim.

Anyway, in Nova, it seems, the AI, indeed, now has the capability to fire more than one primary weapon at once. However, in exchange, it has relinquished the deadly rapid-cycling of secondary weapons it once possessed, instead choosing to run the ammo on a secondary dry before moving to the next. This, of course, creates problems when more than one infinite-ammunition secondary weapon enters the picture. Figures.

Hm, never noticed that. What I did notice is that AI ships in Nova will fire their weapons faster than they did in EV/O. Eg, a Voinian Frigate will unload its rockets on a Destroyer more quickly and thus will pretty much always win. Oddly enough though, they receive a reload penalty when attacking the player. I guess in EV/O they just had a permanent reload penalty while in Nova it's only applied vs the player.

This post has been edited by Guy : 11 December 2007 - 06:57 PM

@guy, on Dec 11 2007, 11:53 PM, said in Override port.... Explain please?:

Hm, never noticed that. What I did notice is that AI ships in Nova will fire their weapons faster than they did in EV/O. Eg, a Voinian Frigate will unload its rockets on a Destroyer more quickly and thus will pretty much always win. Oddly enough though, they receive a reload penalty when attacking the player. I guess in EV/O they just had a permanent reload penalty while in Nova it's only applied vs the player.

Which, frankly, I find rather silly. The player is already capable of doing so many more things than the AI, so why apply yet another advantage? Perhaps this penalty isn't applied in strict play, much as the 10% speed bonus is (another thing I find odd--if anything the strict character should get the bonus, not the soft-core newbie).

@guy, on Dec 11 2007, 03:37 PM, said in Override port.... Explain please?:

(Mackilroy has unfortunately linked to the same old buggy port you already have)

Oops, I could've sworn that was the newer one. Sorry man.

This is interesting stuff. I never knew about any 'reload penalty' or ship behaviour specific to vs. player combat. I have certainly noticed that EVO runs much quicker using the port, making Frontier Express deliveries and the like far more difficult than they once were.

Personally I prefer the mutual exclusivity of turrets and guns - making it harder for the player is all good, and it saves on a bit of mass :).

@-visitor-, on Dec 11 2007, 03:23 PM, said in Override port.... Explain please?:

Sorry, its not a bug. Its a feature.

Even the original, stand-alone Override application had this, and, unless there is something wrong with your copy, it should be that way in your unregistered copy too. I know it puts a cramp in your combat style, but, frankly, thats the point. The AI can only have four weapons, and its hardly fair that you can have essentially double the firepower by exploiting your gun and turret maximums. Try using maneuvering to beat your foes, instead of blunt force.

Ohhh...

sorry what i forgot to say was I have EVO on an older machine (1.0 in this version I can use all turrets/guns). Tis why I thought the port had something wrong with it.

You say that this is how the game actually was? Isn't that just a little stupid? why have guns and turrets if you can only use half of it (if you get my meaning). Who cares if you are vastly overpowered? you still have to have workded for the ship you got... and to be invincible is a great reward...

...and that takes all the fun out of it.

There's kinda something rewarding out of beating a larger target with an equal amount of weaponry, quineg? Brute force may be fun in some cases, but it just doesn't compare - and is no substitute for - a decent set of brains or two hands and quick fingers. There's more to space combat than 'who has the most/best weaponry'.

Oh, and there's also another explanation: You can only have so many guns and turrets on your ship. This is because you can't mount guns or turrets everywhere - to put a blaze cannon on your bridge or nestled between the engines would be, to say the least, awkward, which is why hardpoints exist.

Now, all of these hardpoints are capable of mounting guns. Not all of them, however, are capable of mounting turrets. This means that the moment you mount a turret you've lost a spot for mounting another gun.

@ryuu, on Dec 13 2007, 07:57 AM, said in Override port.... Explain please?:

...and that takes all the fun out of it.

There's kinda something rewarding out of beating a larger target with an equal amount of weaponry, quineg? Brute force may be fun in some cases, but it just doesn't compare - and is no substitute for - a decent set of brains or two hands and quick fingers. There's more to space combat than 'who has the most/best weaponry'.

Oh, and there's also another explanation: You can only have so many guns and turrets on your ship. This is because you can't mount guns or turrets everywhere - to put a blaze cannon on your bridge or nestled between the engines would be, to say the least, awkward, which is why hardpoints exist.

Now, all of these hardpoints are capable of mounting guns. Not all of them, however, are capable of mounting turrets. This means that the moment you mount a turret you've lost a spot for mounting another gun.

right okay.... but then if you put a missile launcher on your ship would this also take up a gun slot (presumable they're the same sorta size)...

I understand about the quick fingers stuff but then I guess "brute force" is my fighting style.... and you imply that brute force doesn't require brains... this may be true but i'm still slightly offended... I set my self challenges anyway, like trying to take out a renegade crescent warship without losing your shield (in a voinian ship) also killing Laziras with a voinion fighter (not the interceptor the other one, if i've got the name wrong).

This post has been edited by undead_shadow : 14 December 2007 - 07:15 AM

For your first question: No, missile launchers do not take up gun slots.

My comments on brute force are unpublishable. Suffice it to say that I consider brute force to be overly - shall we say - 'wasteful', among other such adjectives. After all, one doesn't need much, just a strong enough arm and set of bones, to swing a club. A scalpel is another matter entirely.

@undead_shadow, on Dec 13 2007, 04:34 AM, said in Override port.... Explain please?:

You say that this is how the game actually was? Isn't that just a little stupid? why have guns and turrets if you can only use half of it (if you get my meaning). Who cares if you are vastly overpowered? you still have to have workded for the ship you got... and to be invincible is a great reward...

It’s Peter Cartwright’s game, so he gets to make the rules — there’s no reason why he should have to do it the same way Matt Burch did. In Escape Velocity , you’re allowed a certain number of guns and a certain number of turrets; in EV Override , you’re allowed a certain number of guns, some of which can be turrets.

@david-arthur, on Dec 14 2007, 10:36 AM, said in Override port.... Explain please?:

It’s Peter Cartwright’s game, so he gets to make the rules — there’s no reason why he should have to do it the same way Matt Burch did. In Escape Velocity , you’re allowed a certain number of guns and a certain number of turrets; in EV Override , you’re allowed a certain number of guns, some of which can be turrets.

sorry i apologize... I guess I'm too used to Matt Burch's version of the game...