xander's Global Thermonuclear War

um... game 23?

DA SETTING:

_Representatives to the UN,

As you know, Interpol captured Marshall Debbs, the leader of the radical terrorist organization Children of the Atom, several weeks ago. Two hours ago, we received word that the Children of the Atom have gained access to the launch codes of several nuclear armed nations, including the United States, China, and Russia. They currently control enough nukes to wipe every person off of the face of the Earth several times over. They are currently demanding that we release Debbs, or 'face the consequences.' They have given us 24 hours to release Debbs before they bring about the end of the world as we know it.

We have also received information from an anonymous source that definitely links representatives to the UN with the Children of the Atom. That is to say... ahem that there are traitors among us. Unfortunately, our agent died before he could convey any more information than that.

I believe that we still have a chance to stop the Children of the Atom. We think that their codes are not as complete as they claim, and that they are relying on their spies in the UN to get them the information that they need. As such, I have asked the MPs to seal this room. No one comes in or goes out until we have found the traitors, and stopped the Children of the Atom._

DA RULES:

• In order to sign up, please post below, with your name in bold. Anything that is not in bold shall be ignored.

• Roles will be assigned with the use of a random number generator. The number of traitors and other specials will be determined based upon the number of players that sign up. (num_specials = num_players / 6; num_traitors = num_specials + 1, give or take)

• Play will progress in a series of rounds. Each round shall have two phases: an 'active' phase, and an 'inactive' phase.

• The active phase. During the active phase, each representative is expected to vote against the person they most believe is a traitor. At the end of the phase, the votes shall be totaled, and the accused taken away for interrogation. The active phase shall last about 36 hours, but I reserve the right to shorten it or prolong it, based upon activity. I will always provide at least 4 hours notice. (Basically, if everyone has voted, I will end the round; and if I am waiting for votes, I will extend the round).

• The inactive phase. During the inactive phase, those with special roles will have a chance to PM me. Traitors will select another representative to kill, and other specials will PM for other information. The inactive phase will last for about 4 hours (long enough for everyone to PM me and to reduce the likelihood of deducing roles based upon online status). The results of inactive phase actions will all be described at the end of the round.

• Whenever you vote, please bold the name of the accused. If you change your vote, edit your original post to unbold the name of the accused, and add the word (retracted) after their name. Do not delete their name.

• Please vote each round. If you do not vote, there will be penalties. The first round during which you do not vote (or abstain), a vote against you will automatically be entered in that round. The second round in which you do not vote (or abstain), you shall be removed from chambers for interrogation.

• Roles will not be revealed upon death. If a person claims to have a particular power or role, I shall neither confirm nor deny that power until the game is over.

• If you are dead or being interrogated, please do not post in this topic.

• The game is over when either (a) all of the terrorists have been captured (innocents win) or (b) the number of terrorists is equal to the number of innocents (terrorists win -- it is assumed that the traitors are a bit more bloodthirsty than the innocents, and will overpower an equal number of innocents).

• In the event of any unforeseen issues, I am the final arbiter of the rules. Though, to be honest, I don't see there being any major issues. 😉

DA PLAYERS: **

• mrxak

• Mackilroy didn't vote for two rounds, round 3

• EKHawkman voted out, round 1

• Hypochondriac voted out, round 2

• SoItBegins

• jrsh92

• LNSU

• Manta

• Eugene Chin (current Secretary General)

• darth_vader

• Templar98921

• GutlessWonder

• JacaByte

• kickme killed by traitors, round 1

• prophile voted out, round 3

The following roles may be present in the game (a final list will be published before the first round starts). All of the non-traitor special roles are specifically innocents, unless otherwise marked:

• Three Traitors: I think you all know how these guys work. During the inactive phase, they have the ability to kill one innocent. Their goal is to kill all of the innocents.

• One Intelligence Agent: The intelligence agent is extremely well connected, and has vast intelligence resources at his finger tips. During each inactive phase, he consults with his sources, and investigates one other representative. At the end of the inactive phase, he learns the role of that representative.

• One Well Protected Diplomat. The well protected diplomat has a contingent of bodyguards with him. During each inactive phase, he can choose to sent those bodyguards out to covertly protect any representative (including himself). If that representative is targeted for death that round, they will be protected.

• One Secretary General. The secretary general leads the UN, and has the ability to break ties. His vote counts for one and a half votes during the active phase. --This is an experimental role, designed to prevent ties at the end of the day. As everyone will know, up front, who the secretary general is, he may be either innocent or traitor. If the secretary general is arrested or killed, a new one will be chosen at random. If the role doesn't work out well, it will not be used by me in the future. You have been warned.--

mrxak

One question about the Rogue Representative. I assume it's hidden up until it's used. But when it's used, is it done in public with the person making a post, or secretly sending you a PM?

@mrxak, on May 1 2008, 01:24 PM, said in xander's Global Thermonuclear War:

mrxak

One question about the Rogue Representative. I assume it's hidden up until it's used. But when it's used, is it done in public with the person making a post, or secretly sending you a PM?

As his skill is a rhetorical one, he is going to have to give away his role to use it.

Also, this topic is hidden until such time as the current game ends. 😉

xander

Yeah, I know that. But I can see it, so I might as well sign up now.

As I can see it as well, I'm also signing up.

Mackilroy

I would rather enjoy playing another game EKHawkman is in!

Roles are not reveled upon death. Makes things more interesting. Count me in hypochondriac There is only one IA right? It always seemed unfair that the innocents got to investigate 2 people while the terrorists could only kill one

I'm playing.

SoItBegins

jrsh92

@hypochondriac, on May 4 2008, 09:39 PM, said in xander's Global Thermonuclear War:

Roles are not reveled upon death. Makes things more interesting. Count me in hypochondriac There is only one IA right? It always seemed unfair that the innocents got to investigate 2 people while the terrorists could only kill one

There will be, at most, one of each of the roles listed above, aside from the traitors.

xander

I'm in.

LNSU

Manta

Eugene Chin

I don't like no-reveal games in general, but the fact that you've given us a list of all the possible rules balances that well enough I guess.

darth_vader

Templar98921
I like this game...

GutlessWonder

Great to see we've already got twelve people. Hope a few more sign up. 🙂

Whoa, how did I miss this one?

JacaByte

Edit: Oh, I missed it because it was hidden. Heh.

This post has been edited by JacaByte : 04 May 2008 - 10:15 PM

You know, a few days ago I'd seen the parent ASW boards listing a "xander's Global Thermonuclear War" topic as the most recently active, but the topic wasn't visible on the DEFCON board, and trying the link from the parent board gave only an error. I'd been wondering what that was about.

I got the email when this was first posted, but couldn't find it 🙂

kickme :hector_bird: