Manta - Russia
mrxak - USA
nfreader - Australia
prophile - Mexico
RJC Ultra - Iceland
Selax - Canada
SoItBegins - China

Rules:

- Terrorists are not allowed to communicate with each other directly, but you can make shrewd guesses if you like.
- Each round will last until everyone has voted or 48 hours have passed, whichever comes first.
- Don't forget to bold your votes. If you retract a vote, please simply put RETRACTED at the bottom of your post.

Note: Country bearings have no effect on whether or not someone is a terrorist in this game. Anyone and his mother could be evil.

_A number of diplomats from various nations are standing around in a large chamber, busy chatting and discussing various issues facing their countries. All discussion ceases and everyone runs to their seat when a tall, slender man dressed in a three-piece suit walks in and head for the podium.

He takes out his notes and arranges them, then snaps his fingers and the lights in the room go out. A screen flashes behind him, with data from various security agencies and and militaries from around the globe. Lights focus on him, and he begins to speak.

"Gentlemen, my name is_ Mack. I've summoned you here to inform you of a threat to the survival of our countries - I have been told by security officials from NATO and the UN that there is a terrorist group that has infiltrated our nuclear arsenals and has the ability to fire them at any target they choose. I've also been informed that a trio of old nuclear submarines - still armed with nuclear missiles, by the way - have been stolen from one of the Russian Federation's sub pens. Manta's _security forces attempted to stop them but without Russian Army units nearby the terrorists had superior firepower and were able to make their escape with little opposition. An American satellite captured their trails up to approximately five miles away from the base, when they went under. mrxak was kind enough to forward the data to us... here," he presses a button on the podium, and the screen changes, "You can see it on the screen behind me. We don't know the terrorists' destination, but if they want to maintain easy within striking distance of major population areas then we estimate that they will eventually position themselves here, here, here, or here." He presses another button, and the screen flashes again, displaying a world map with four glowing dots marking the spots that brought most of the world's population within missile range.

"I've asked NATO to deploy destroyer groups to each of these four locations, as well as the Chinese and Russian navies. This won't guarantee we'll catch the escaped boats, but it gives us a fighting chance if one of them fires nuclear missiles.

"Lastly, I've been told that some of us within this very body are traitors. Their countries helped arm and supply the terrorists with weapons and information. If we're to stop them then we must vote on who to remove. But beware - should you vote to remove an innocent, once I've taken all the votes you cannot take your choice back. Choose wisely. Are there any questions?"_

GutlessWonder's _light flashes on. "Mack, do we have any information on the types of weapons supplied to the terrorists? That might help identify what countries are supporting them."

Mack shakes his head. "I'm afraid not. Footage from security cameras caught weapons that are from old Communist stocks, some of the newer European weapons, various types of grenades and RPGs from China, and some American guns as well. If you'd care to implicate virtually everyone in this room...?"

GutlessWonder shakes his head quickly.

"Very well. Anyone else? No? Excellent. I'll see you all once the votes have been tabulated. Good day, gentlemen."

Mack collects his notes and steps away from the podium. As the lights in the room come back on, _mrxak exclaims in surprise that Mack is nowhere in the room, let alone the building. The delegates begin to talk among themselves, trying to figure out motivations and possible leanings.

I've sent each of you a PM informing you of your role, should you have one, and that the game has started.

Good luck, gentlemen!

@mackilroy, on Nov 7 2007, 11:01 PM, said in Global Thermonuclear War:

Country bearings have no effect on whether or not someone is a terrorist in this game. Anyone and his mother could be evil.

I vote ( RETRACTED ) Mack's mother.

This post has been edited by prophile : 08 November 2007 - 12:04 PM

Please to come visit pleasant Kazakhstan! We have very nice potassium.

@prophile, on Nov 7 2007, 05:07 PM, said in Global Thermonuclear War:

I vote Mack's mother.

You can't do that. 😛

Clearly I can, I just did.

Welcome all, welcome indeed.

13 players. That's not good. Unlucky. We need to eliminate someone fast, to get it down to 12.

@darth_vader, on Nov 7 2007, 05:58 PM, said in Global Thermonuclear War:

13 players. That's not good. Unlucky. We need to eliminate someone fast, to get it down to 12.

Is Retracted darth_vader volunteering?

This post has been edited by GutlessWonder : 07 November 2007 - 08:55 PM

Do we know yet how many roles there are?

@gutlesswonder, on Nov 8 2007, 12:49 AM, said in Global Thermonuclear War:

Is darth_vader volunteering?

No, but GutlessWonder seems to be. Retracted.

(Edit) Are roles being revealed on death?

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 08 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

@gutlesswonder, on Nov 7 2007, 06:49 PM, said in Global Thermonuclear War:

Is darth_vader volunteering?

I am not. But GutlessWonder may well be showing his true colors!

Retracted. Let's not be hasty.

This post has been edited by darth_vader : 07 November 2007 - 11:20 PM

I am not. But GutlessWonder may well be showing his true colors!

Is darth_vader ( Retracted ) insulting the guy, or just provoking him?

This post has been edited by SoItBegins : 08 November 2007 - 12:01 AM

Dang, usually I start the voting. I guess this time I'll just wait for the initial reactionary votes calm down before picking who behaved most suspiciously. Gotta eat my dinner anyway.

Sure, why not.

Hmm... Italy, eh? Oh... so as a UN delegate... I have wine from Italy! Any takers?

-Dark

Here have some... hands SoItBegins a glass Cheers to China!

Retracted

-Dark

This post has been edited by Dark Jet : 08 November 2007 - 07:21 PM

/me whistles

That was damn fast, Madagascar. The question now, of course, is whether or not you and darth_vader will change your votes since I have retracted mine.

I also apologize to the US, for stealing their preemptive thunder.

@dark-jet, on Nov 7 2007, 08:39 PM, said in Global Thermonuclear War:

Hmm... Italy, eh? Oh... so as a UN delegate... I have wine from Italy! Any takers?

I do like me some Tuscan chianti, but perhaps we should wait until we kill one of the traitors so we can celebrate with spumante?

@gutlesswonder, on Nov 7 2007, 08:57 PM, said in Global Thermonuclear War:

I also apologize to the US, for stealing their preemptive thunder.

Hehe. No worries. So many newbies, I sort of wanted to wait and see what happened anyway.

ahem

WTF, mate?

Sorry nfreader, I'll vote for you first next round.