Global Thermonuclear War

Round IX

In a large, circular room, lit only by the blue glow of a computer screen showing the world, nine people sit nervously, waiting to hear why they've been called into an emergency senate. The silence is only broken by the hum of the computer in the corner, and by occasional echoing footsteps, barely audible through the door.

An echoing voice suddenly booms out of hidden loudspeakers, accompanied by an unexpected video feed of UN General Prophile on screen. "Gentlemen," he begins, "I have some bad news." There is an audible gasp from everyone in the room except 1Eevee1, who a little more light reveals has fallen asleep. Anon sprays some smelling salts into his nose, waking him up, and explains what is happening. Unfazed by the interruption, Prophile goes on: "Our reports have confirmed that in this very room are two separatists. They want us dead. We received this video four hours ago."

A video begins to play. The voices are heavily scrambled, the faces of those speaking are not shown: only captives are on screen. The eerie voice explains that the separatists intent to liberate the planet from capitalist and communist pigs, and to put in place a shared dictatorship, for the good of everyone.

"Obviously, this will not do. We have an intelligence agent working on decoding information, but we have no time to waste. You will have to decide amongst yourselves who the terrorists are."

The transmission ends, as nine people, now fearful for their lives, get ready to decide who will live and who will die.

In this round, the countries are:

1Eevee1 - China
Anon - Canada
Eugene Chin - Japan
darth_vader - India
GutlessWonder - United Kingdom
kickme - Germany
Mackilroy - USA
mrxak - Russia
nfreader - France

This post has been edited by prophile : 14 October 2007 - 12:31 PM

Hmm... this will be interesting. In the interests of ferreting out the evildoers, of the above list (though prophile did not state that national alignments mattered), Russia and China have been a source of international instability recently. India as well.

And the UN can't even afford a decent computer.

Not being much for world politics, is there any countries listed that aren't capitalist or communist?

The countries shouldn't make too much of a difference... although then again, they might.

@kickme, on Oct 14 2007, 01:45 PM, said in Global Thermonuclear War:

And the UN can't even afford a decent computer.

Not being much for world politics, is there any countries listed that aren't capitalist or communist?

Canada?

Ordinarily I'd start the voting, but I just got back from an 8 hour winery tour (best school field trip ever ) so I'm going to wait for the morning. Well, probably afternoon :p.

@gutlesswonder, on Oct 15 2007, 06:49 AM, said in Global Thermonuclear War:

Canada?

What about Japan?

My god, it's like they've grabbed a bunch of people off the street and said "YOU ALL HAVE NUKES, GO KILL SOMEBODY AND WE NUKE THEIR COUNTRY!"

Anyway, withholding vote as per usual, but the doormat defense IS on standby.

I don't know if national alignments have any bearing on this game, but if so, China is a pretty dictatorial nation.

Just touching base here.

No vote yet.

With their upcoming elections, perhaps the USA should bear closer scrutiny. I wouldn't put it past some of you Yanks to try and influence elections with nuclear terrorism. It's only a matter of time before the monopolists in your society attempt to take over the world. Are these the first shots?

I'm voting for

Spoiler

nfreader

, since he's always evil, a fact proved last game.

I'll vote for mrxak because he may not always be evil, but he always acts like he is. Also, I feel that making nfreader not evil would be a good way to mix things up a little, so I think prophile has done that.

Honestly, if I was evil, I'd be way more excited about this game, heh. I want to try out my crazy new strategy, but they keep making me on the good team.

@mrxak, on Oct 16 2007, 01:37 PM, said in Global Thermonuclear War:

Honestly, if I was evil, I'd be way more excited about this game, heh. I want to try out my crazy new strategy, but they keep making me on the good team.

Yet you keep saying that you play all games the same, no matter if you're good or evil.

Sounds like someone is trying to divert attention.

I don't do the attention-diversion thing. I'd rather go out in a blaze of glory than sit back and let everybody else have all the fun. It's a game, people!

@kickme, on Oct 16 2007, 12:51 PM, said in Global Thermonuclear War:

Yet you keep saying that you play all games the same, no matter if you're good or evil.

Sounds like someone is trying to divert attention.

mrxak and I have two different playing styles.

He wins, I lose. I'd love to turn that around, though.

I vote for mrxak because of his evil nature and the instability of Russia at the moment.

Don't forget to bold your vote, Mackilroy.

mrxak is a bandwagoning scumbag.

I can't be a bandwagoning scumbag if I voted first!

Where is everybody, anyway?