WOPR: Wargames DEFCON Mod

An ongoing project...have a look!

While DEFCON certainly brings to mind the "look" and "feel" of "NORAD's Wet Dream" that is the set of the 80s flick, Wargames...once you go back and look at it...its not quite like it at all.

That's where this Mod comes in 🙂

Now...a bit of history:

Back in December of last year, a user named glcanon on Introversion's support board asked the question: Has anyone tried to make DEFCON look more Wargames?

Screencaps from the movie were posted, a search for a proper font began and work ensued. Screenshots were posted, ideas bounced to and fro...but nothing was released.

Then, horror of horrors...in January, glcanon suffered a drive crash. He was able to retrieve his font and and image of a bomber. A lot of discussion about the drive death suckatude...but Wargames seemed a bit dead.

In late March, Weps uploaded a modified sound for the Missile launch...perhaps Wargames was alive again. Perhaps not.

Then, Ambrosia, our guys in the field , finally released the OS X port of DEFCON along with Introversion. I could now enjoy this game native on OSX...no steam required (which let me tell ya, heheh...was less than optimal :))

I was determined to "finish the game" as Joshua would say...and so work began on WOPR: The Wargames DEFCON Mod.

From April 27th until today, I redrew new graphics, messed with glcanon's font a bit, and had a buddy of mine re-record some of the dialog and chatter from Wargames to use as DEFCON sounds.

zanzer7 , the maintainer of the DEFCON MODlist was working on a Wargames mod, too, and made a style that mad the game look more like WOPR/NORAD with cyan lines and coloring. This was added to my WOPR mod...a few more tweaks were made...and the result:

Standard DEFCON:
Posted Image

WOPR DEFCON:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Download full res 1920x200 screenshots:
Its On!
Nobody Wins...

The WOPR Mod contains a new font, new color theme, new audio and new graphics for just about everything except for non-submarine naval units...simply because they weren't in the movie. This includes new cities, silos, sams, subs, nukes, fighters, bombers, airbases and nuke launch and GUI graphics.

Download WOPR here: WOPR: The Wargames DEFCON Mod

Enjoy...and let me know what you think!

This post has been edited by Mr. Kai : 02 May 2007 - 12:53 PM

Nice. By the way, your Its On! link is broken.

Looks cool, but I'll admit, the nuke explosion radius doesn't look like it did in the movie. It was solid white.

@jacabyte, on May 2 2007, 02:50 PM, said in WOPR: Wargames DEFCON Mod:

Looks cool, but I'll admit, the nuke explosion radius doesn't look like it did in the movie. It was solid white.

Yeeeaaaaahhh...

I know 🙂

I've flipped back and forth on this...and I'm glad I've got Mac people having a look at it...so much attention to detail.

I'll 1. Take the scanlines out and 2. make it straight flat.

WOPR v7 Here.

-K

This post has been edited by Mr. Kai : 02 May 2007 - 03:24 PM

@mrxak, on May 2 2007, 02:25 PM, said in WOPR: Wargames DEFCON Mod:

Nice. By the way, your Its On! link is broken.

Thanks...I fixed it. 'preciate 🙂

Looking very nice. 🙂

More graphics and sound changes.

Not sure much more can be done within the constraints of what DEFCON allows...

WOPR: Wargames DEFCON Mod v9

I'm really liking this mod, the only thing which is annoying me a bit is that I can't see the names of the cities, only if I zoom in as much as possible.

@mr--kai, on May 3 2007, 10:29 AM, said in WOPR: Wargames DEFCON Mod:

More graphics and sound changes.

Not sure much more can be done within the constraints of what DEFCON allows...

Have you considered uploading your mod to the addon files? Link.

@freq245, on May 4 2007, 08:14 AM, said in WOPR: Wargames DEFCON Mod:

I'm really liking this mod, the only thing which is annoying me a bit is that I can't see the names of the cities, only if I zoom in as much as possible.

Yeah...There is actually a "why" for this, believe it or not 🙂

Introversion chose to use a heavier typeface for this;...it appears to hold up better with zooming out. glcanon's font isn't too bad either...but, in the movie, the names of the cities are above their icons, not overprinted....soooo....this required a little graphics jiggering, which while making it accurate, seems to have effected the distance visibility
of not only the city graphic itself, but the font as well since they seem to be relative.

But...but...the name of the city sits neatly above the icon for it 🙂

@mackilroy, on May 4 2007, 01:44 PM, said in WOPR: Wargames DEFCON Mod:

Have you considered uploading your mod to the addon files? Link.

Thanks...I did just that.

In addition, the WOPR Mod lives here...

@mr--kai, on May 4 2007, 08:06 PM, said in WOPR: Wargames DEFCON Mod:

But...but...the name of the city sits neatly above the icon for it 🙂

Yeah, but you nearly can't see it. 😛

If you don't like the font, you should be able to go into the style editor and use a different font, or increase the size of the mod's font.

xander

@darwinian, on May 5 2007, 09:43 PM, said in WOPR: Wargames DEFCON Mod:

If you don't like the font, you should be able to go into the style editor and use a different font, or increase the size of the mod's font.

xander

And which is the font I have to change (tooltip, for example)? There's a buch of them, I tried all out, but noone seemed to work with the city names.

@freq245, on May 9 2007, 07:18 PM, said in WOPR: Wargames DEFCON Mod:

And which is the font I have to change (tooltip, for example)? There's a buch of them, I tried all out, but noone seemed to work with the city names.

I'm sorry, I am incorrect. I thought it was possible to change it in the style editor, but it seems not to be. In that case, I would suggest deleting the font from the mod. Defcon will then default to the original font, and all should be well with the world.

xander

@darwinian, on May 9 2007, 02:43 PM, said in WOPR: Wargames DEFCON Mod:

and all should be well with the world.

xander

Taken out of context, and applied 'as is' to DEFCON...

As far as this mod goes, I find it fantastic! Excellent work.