There's a new game in town

Deadweight challenge!

Check out the 2P Cooperative High Scores. The entries for "DrT deadweight!" -- including the current fourth-place score of 166600 -- were put up by me playing alone, with only one ship active.

It's a simple thing to do: just start a local 2P cooperative game without a partner, and then only use the controls for one ship. The other ship gets dragged along behind. I only allow myself to touch the second ship's firing button in order to open colored gates. I don't ever allow myself to touch its missile, propulsion, and turning controls; thus, if the ship is facing the wrong way when I reach a gate, I have to drag it against enemies or walls until it is blown up (at a cost of 1000 points) so that it can regenerate facing in a more useful direction.

If you accept this challenge, you are not allowed to set both ships to use the same controls! That's too easy. Edwards has already said that when he plays that way he doesn't play cooperative, so that the scores aren't registered online. I have done cooperative games that way, but I will no longer record those "syncro" scores online, either. With my network connection disconnected, I've already scored higher than Newt & Edwards' highest reported score. Here's my current local highscores list, showing that:

Attached File SkfighterHighs.jpg (49K)
Number of downloads: 36

Yeah, I've been focusing on "Volcano" just a bit. 🙂

@dr--trowel, on Jun 9 2007, 11:45 AM, said in There's a new game in town:

Yeah, I've been focusing on "Volcano" just a bit. 🙂

How about trying something other than Volcano? Yes, the blob-breeding problem has been partially fixed, although I suspect that it hasn't been fixed enough, but it's still very possible to get scores on it that are far higher than are possible on any other maps. I suspect that for the deadweight challenge, Volcano may be the easiest map to get on the high score list with, as most of the other maps require high speed to get a good score.

Edwards

Dr. Trowel, you get a 😮 for your insane scores.

That said, I might have to try this.

It isn't exactly hard to get a high score on Volcano. Case in point- I've only played about seven games today, three of which ended in fatal game crashes, and I've gotten what would be the second-place 2p score if it were reported (although a bit shy of Dr. Trowel's highest scores): 167340
I'm much more proud of my 70000-point deadweight Crazy Zone score, which would be much, much higher if the rules for number of stars dropped by bosses weren't different in local MP from in network MP (based on HP, it seems, rather than consistently four, so the level only has about half as many stars as in network MP).

Edwards

Well, yes, duly noted, but still, 150,000+ without a second player is pretty decent.

@edwards, on Jun 9 2007, 08:02 PM, said in There's a new game in town:

It isn't exactly hard to get a high score on Volcano. Case in point- I've only played about seven games today, three of which ended in fatal game crashes, and I've gotten what would be the second-place 2p score if it were reported (although a bit shy of Dr. Trowel's highest scores): 167340
I'm much more proud of my 70000-point deadweight Crazy Zone score, which would be much, much higher if the rules for number of stars dropped by bosses weren't different in local MP from in network MP (based on HP, it seems, rather than consistently four, so the level only has about half as many stars as in network MP).

Yeah, you're right, as always -- Volcano is definitely the easiest map on which to rack up a high 2P score, deadweight or (I presume) otherwise. Blobs are key.

70,000 deadweight in Crazy Zone? Nice! I might be able to match that in Wasteland....

What's HP? I haven't followed these boards closely, nor have I delved into map editing. When it comes to Sketchfighter, I'm jargon-negative. :mellow:

HP= Health Points, I believe.

Current non-Volcano high for me:
12. - 151740 - Wasteland - Ed Deadweight

@dr--trowel, on Jun 10 2007, 08:47 AM, said in There's a new game in town:

70,000 deadweight in Crazy Zone? Nice! I might be able to match that in Wasteland....

Eh, Wasteland is another one of those places where it's pretty easy to get a ludicrously high score (if you know how), although the score cap is much, much lower than in Volcano. I suspect that Forest is also easy to get a >100,000 score on in this challenge. Now, if you can manage even 60,000 points on Factory, I will be very impressed- I think it is the map that most requires teamwork for a high score.

@dr--trowel, on Jun 10 2007, 08:47 AM, said in There's a new game in town:

What's HP? I haven't followed these boards closely, nor have I delved into map editing. When it comes to Sketchfighter, I'm jargon-negative. :mellow:

As PiSketch said, HP stands for Health Points or Hit Points. It's a fairly common abbreviation in other games, although I haven't seen it around these forums that much.

Edwards

@edwards, on Jun 10 2007, 07:41 PM, said in There's a new game in town:

As PiSketch said, HP stands for Health Points or Hit Points. It's a fairly common abbreviation in other games, although I haven't seen it around these forums that much.

Around these parts we call that "Extra1". 😉

Concerning deadweight vs. dual control, it's actually harder to get a higher score if they are both shooting at the same time, since stacking is cut in half. I did have several "co-op" games that didn't have the same controls, and thus were recorded by the tracker, all of which I requested removed from the list because it seemed dishonest somehow. If this challenge was issued before the fix, then those scores are valid here I suppose, and the best one (volcano) was higher than 700,000.

I know, grave-digging and bragging, and not playing the game anymore. Shame on me..

-Newt

Hum, suddenly a topic about high scores is posted and 5 posters that haven't been active for quite a while come rushing in with input.

Well, I guess that's the way it is, although I would recommend Newt and Dr. Trowel to, if not try out the awesome Sketchfighter Editor, at least look for some thrilling new levels on the addons page. 🙂

My personal record for deadweight anything is 9030, so this is obviously not my topic. 😊

Cheers everyone!

Klublex

@klublex, on Jan 23 2009, 08:46 AM, said in There's a new game in town:

Hum, suddenly a topic about high scores is posted and 5 posters that haven't been active for quite a while come rushing in with input.

sploden posted recently in a topic that hasn't been posted in since '07. I was thrown by this for a second myself. 🙂
I haven't done much deadweight, but I might try to beat some of those scores for the heck of it.

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 23 January 2009 - 11:13 AM

Deadweight, aye? Could be something fun to do in my spare spare spare time.

@klublex, on Jan 23 2009, 07:46 AM, said in There's a new game in town:

Well, I guess that's the way it is, although I would recommend Newt and Dr. Trowel to, if not try out the awesome Sketchfighter Editor, at least look for some thrilling new levels on the addons page. 🙂

After effectively winning variously and playing more hours in a week than I was spending with people, the only real enjoyment I got out of the game was the multiplayer. I like multiplayer games, but the multiplayer structure of this game is not conducive to a full lobby. Back when I played, people would check in to the lobby, and 5 seconds later would leave. It was only a handful that persisted until someone else showed up. I got tired of waiting around for half an hour, so I stopped multiplaying and started playing Redline, which has a structure that is much more conducive to a full lobby of potential players. I did try some of the sketchfighter addons for a while, but not having direct competition dramatically decreased the enjoyability for me. It's too bad; I really enjoyed making those high scores on the multiplayer list, not because I was immortalized (/vanity), but because having someone to interact with in a game context is much more enjoyable than playing against AI opponents or playing to beat a level.

Cheers.
-Newt

This post has been edited by sploden : 26 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

@sploden, on Jan 26 2009, 09:35 PM, said in There's a new game in town:

I like multiplayer games. Having someone to interact with in a game context is much more enjoyable than playing against AI opponents or playing to beat a level.

Cheers.
-Newt

agrees I've always had an obsession with multiplayer games; the more players the merrier. I love both human competitiveness and teamwork to attain awards, and so aspire madly to create an Online RPG. So far I've only produced a single incredibly simple RPG on an outdated platform, (Quest of Magic) but I'll get there eventually...

@silverwind, on Jan 26 2009, 03:34 PM, said in There's a new game in town:

agrees I've always had an obsession with multiplayer games; the more players the merrier. I love both human competitiveness and teamwork to attain awards,

I'm kind of like that too, which is basically why I joined the web board. I think that a really cool and awesome thing to bring back Sketchfighter popularity (that wouldn't be too much trouble for Ambrosia, I think) is too be able to create 2 player arenas as custom levels. All you have to do is not set a quest and encorporate 2 ships at the start instead of one. 🙂 That would be SO awesome!

😄 Klublex