Volcano Tank BOSS

How do you harm the spikey tank?

I have run into a very dangerous, spikey drawn tank boss in the volcano level. (after you get the upgrade to access the extra red particle areas) It seems to stay in one corner and nothing that I shoot at it does any harm at all. I have the first two colours and types pf attack. I have been trying to lure it out to no avail, it just shoots me and stays in the corner. Is there a secret to this or is this a bug?

This boss is harmed by firing to its weak point. It looks like a bug others have had as well. Do you have a rather low-end machine? I have a feeling it makes a difference for this bug.

@zacha-pedro, on Dec 7 2006, 11:41 AM, said in Volcano Tank BOSS:

This boss is harmed by firing to its weak point. It looks like a bug others have had as well. Do you have a rather low-end machine? I have a feeling it makes a difference for this bug.

I have the same bug. If I fly right in, I can get a couple of shots in, but that's it. Afterwards all attempts to lure him away fail.

As for speed... Mac Pro, 2.66Ghz, 4GB RAM, RAID Level-1 array, Radeon X1900 video card. I think I can blow the 'low-end' theory away. :rolleyes:

@danielstaal, on Dec 12 2006, 03:00 AM, said in Volcano Tank BOSS:

I have the same bug. If I fly right in, I can get a couple of shots in, but that's it. Afterwards all attempts to lure him away fail.

As for speed... Mac Pro, 2.66Ghz, 4GB RAM, RAID Level-1 array, Radeon X1900 video card. I think I can blow the 'low-end' theory away. :rolleyes:

Just after entering the boss room you have to hurry up to get behind the boss, completly ignoring the tank while doing so helps. Then turn around and fire all your missiles and the beam at its weak point. You should try to find as much missiles as you're able to get at this point before attacking the boss.

@freq245, on Dec 12 2006, 03:32 PM, said in Volcano Tank BOSS:

Just after entering the boss room you have to hurry up to get behind the boss, completly ignoring the tank while doing so helps. Then turn around and fire all your missiles and the beam at its weak point. You should try to find as much missiles as you're able to get at this point before attacking the boss.

I have tried that. If I stay long enough to do any real damage I get crushed, and I never get another chance. No matter what I do.

The point is he has this huge room, and he never uses any of it. For all intents and purposes, he's a slow-firing turret, with a vulnerable point embedded in the wall behind him. (And I don't see the point of his mines: He never lays them anywhere I can fly. Heck, I've tried getting him to damage himself with them, but it was worthless.) If you don't destroy him within 1 second of entering the boss room, (and I'm not sure that is possible from what I've seen) you are stuck helpess, unable to ever try again. I can survive indefinately in that room, but eventually I let myself get killed just to end the boredom.

I tried killing him a half dozen times. I've only actually managed to damage him once or twice. At this point, I'm waiting for an update before playing again. I can roam at will through the rest of the area open to me, but I consider him unkillable. For the moment, this game is therefore not worth playing. I may try some custom levels.

@danielstaal, on Dec 12 2006, 04:57 PM, said in Volcano Tank BOSS:

I have tried that. If I stay long enough to do any real damage I get crushed, and I never get another chance. No matter what I do.

The point is he has this huge room, and he never uses any of it. For all intents and purposes, he's a slow-firing turret, with a vulnerable point embedded in the wall behind him. (And I don't see the point of his mines: He never lays them anywhere I can fly. Heck, I've tried getting him to damage himself with them, but it was worthless.) If you don't destroy him within 1 second of entering the boss room, (and I'm not sure that is possible from what I've seen) you are stuck helpess, unable to ever try again. I can survive indefinately in that room, but eventually I let myself get killed just to end the boredom.

I tried killing him a half dozen times. I've only actually managed to damage him once or twice. At this point, I'm waiting for an update before playing again. I can roam at will through the rest of the area open to me, but I consider him unkillable. For the moment, this game is therefore not worth playing. I may try some custom levels.

Did you fire all of your missiles at his weak point? Around 4 missiles already destroy the boss and it is possible to fire them all at it before the tank is able to crush you.

Yeah, but it's insanely hard. I still haven't managed to do it <_<

This behavior from the Tank boss is not normal and this bug will be fixed, but if you can manage to beat it anyway, you'll have at least a workaround and you can continue the game.

Just thought I'd put in an update:

The behavior seems mitigated, but not truly fixed in 1.0.1. The tank takes a little longer to wedge itself into the corner, and if you can get behind it once you can keep it from totally closing in on that corner, (It turns to face you, and will move slightly away from the corner in doing so. Switch sides and you can keep just enough space it operate.) but it still doesn't range around the room at all, and any hesitation when entering leaves him backed into that corner and impossible to extract.

I managed to kill it by getting in the corner quickly and then inching my way up and down behind it. The tank will always turn to keep its back in the corner, so by staying directly behind it, you can keep it from turning. The tank can still back up and crush you, but from that position, you can just use the beam and missiles to kill it.

I'll try to upload a picture of this later.