An Interesting Screenshot

The following image was taken in the standard single-player scenario, and has not been edited beyond the conversion to JPEG format. No changes were made to the game data apart from swapping out the music for a slightly more humorous soundtrack. Can you see what's wrong with it?

Edwards

Well, it would appear that you are using a ship from the end of the game to fight the forest boss...how'd you manage that?

@edwards, on Dec 3 2006, 11:28 PM, said in An Interesting Screenshot:

The following image was taken in the standard single-player scenario, and has not been edited beyond the conversion to JPEG format. No changes were made to the game data apart from swapping out the music for a slightly more humorous soundtrack. Can you see what's wrong with it?

Edwards

A complete guess: that you shouldn't have the third ship by that point in the game?

I'm giving you two partial credit, but there's one major point you both missed.

Edwards

hm. All I see is that you have your third ship and super homing gun early (or the forest boss late). Oh, maybe that's it- I didn't specifically say that you had the super homing gun.

I believe the screen also realigns itself when you enter the boss room; you should be facing to the right at that point.

Also, where's the boss's third orb? Should be on the left side of the screen, but I don't see it.

@derakon, on Dec 3 2006, 09:21 PM, said in An Interesting Screenshot:

I believe the screen also realigns itself when you enter the boss room; you should be facing to the right at that point.

Also, where's the boss's third orb? Should be on the left side of the screen, but I don't see it.

Actually, the screen doesn't right itself-I've fought the boss in several directions. However, when you reload from a save, it is in the correct orientation.

And I assume the orb is gone because he destroyed it already. 😕

Given that my having the Super Homing gun proves that I had been to the End Zone and back without beating the Forest boss, I think that it deserves a special mention. I really would have preferred to have the Super Wave gun, as that would be very clearly not right (and would have made beating that boss very easy!), but thus far the trick shot required for that upgrade has eluded me.

As for how I did it, it's just a simple trick with the Pellet gun, which happens to have a longer range than the game's collision detection. I will leave the precise method for doing this to the reader, with just the note that it is most easily practiced in the Factory and Forest MP levels. 😛

@Derakon: No it doesn't, and I blew it up.

Edwards

@edwards, on Dec 4 2006, 07:25 AM, said in An Interesting Screenshot:

Given that my having the Super Homing gun proves that I had been to the End Zone and back without beating the Forest boss, I think that it deserves a special mention. I really would have preferred to have the Super Wave gun, as that would be very clearly not right (and would have made beating that boss very easy!), but thus far the trick shot required for that upgrade has eluded me.

As for how I did it, it's just a simple trick with the Pellet gun, which happens to have a longer range than the game's collision detection. I will leave the precise method for doing this to the reader, with just the note that it is most easily practiced in the Factory and Forest MP levels. 😛

@Derakon: No it doesn't, and I blew it up.

Edwards

Are pellets able to "collect" power-ups, too?

@freq245, on Dec 3 2006, 11:05 PM, said in An Interesting Screenshot:

Are pellets able to "collect" power-ups, too?

Not that I am aware of- the trick shot I was referring to for the Wave Gun is "just" a double bank-shot on top of everything else to shoot through a wall. Was that an issue in one of the betas?

Edwards

This post has been edited by Edwards : 04 December 2006 - 01:11 AM

Interesting bug. I suppose you unlocked the third ship by firing towards the walled-in switch from afar enough for them not to be stopped by the wall protecting the switch, and pellets that went through the wall triggered the switch (perhaps because you suddenly accelerated towards the switch so that it would be in the range of stuff that's not culled out). Then you got the stuff for which the third ship is required. Clever.

@zacha-pedro, on Dec 4 2006, 10:35 AM, said in An Interesting Screenshot:

Interesting bug. I suppose you unlocked the third ship by firing towards the walled-in switch from afar enough for them not to be stopped by the wall protecting the switch, and pellets that went through the wall triggered the switch (perhaps because you suddenly accelerated towards the switch so that it would be in the range of stuff that's not culled out). Then you got the stuff for which the third ship is required. Clever.

Precisely, right down to the trick for getting the switch to interact with the pellets. I'm still working on opening the switch for the Super Wave gun, but it's not a straight shot, so it may not be possible.
Still, it's not a very major bug- even after a couple hours of practice I still can't open switches consistently (except for the one in the End Zone), and the third-level ship took me about ten or fifteen minutes of shooting to get. About the only thing this bug does is waste time and bullets, and allow screenshots of unusual events.

Edwards

Yeah, but I've reported it to the beta list for it to be fixed anyway (sorry folks, enjoy the bugs while they last). Congrats on finding this loophole, and thanks for reporting it.