Open Source TC

That sounds like a fine system to me.

@jacabyte, on Oct 29 2008, 03:58 PM, said in Open Source TC:

Sure thing; we can use the graphics we have now as placeholders until you get them enhanced.

What I meant was that once you guys find out which graphics you want enhanced, tell me, I don't really want to fix all of them with only half being used, since it'll detract from all them as I won't have as much time to spend on each one...

In addition to amending the name files considerably, I also uploaded a new file: Concept-Defensive Threshold. Might be worth a quick read.

No, the file DU Essentials was not supposed to be deleted. I don't know who did that, but I've undeleted it so whoever tries to install the TC who doesn't already have the files won't get bombed out.

alright, i got my setup, and i hacked me a pilot so i can quickly relearn the storylines and game engine (just starts w a cool 1B credits is all 🙂

now ive got 2 hands and a copy of evnew ready to help, just tell me what needs done (and if its anything complex, point me to a coding guide, it seems ive lost most of my coding knowledge for this game. gonna have to read up on the bible* again)

*No blasphemy intended by this statement 🆒

Quite an interesting idea with shields there. If I were doing this alone, I'd employ it immediately. But since this is a group project, instead I have to ask: is there anyone who doesn't like that concept or otherwise opposed?

Its VERY good. you have full support from me.

I love that concept. I say we should go for it, but it shouldn't be like Colosseum; I say, for the sake of simplicity and balancing, that shields should come with ships and outfits can be added to modify said shields later on.

Is it still okay to join this? 😄

Geek, there are no limits to who can contribute to this plug.

I agree to the defensive-threshold shielding system. I suggest that shielding outfits only increase the shields minorly, and are mostly shield-rechargers. Most defensive outfits should be armor plates and armor repair robots (although they'll have to repair very slowly, even the best)

@joshtigerheart, on Oct 31 2008, 09:13 PM, said in Open Source TC:

Quite an interesting idea with shields there. If I were doing this alone, I'd employ it immediately. But since this is a group project, instead I have to ask: is there anyone who doesn't like that concept or otherwise opposed?

@of-doom, on Oct 31 2008, 09:15 PM, said in Open Source TC:

Its VERY good. you have full support from me.

@jacabyte, on Oct 31 2008, 10:12 PM, said in Open Source TC:

I love that concept. I say we should go for it, but it shouldn't be like Colosseum; I say, for the sake of simplicity and balancing, that shields should come with ships and outfits can be added to modify said shields later on.

Glad you think so highly of it. For awhile there, I was wondering if I'd suggested something a little too revolutionary for its own good. Provided the others stop in and give the go-ahead, I should hope that we can pull it off. I believe that it is sound enough in theory , but it remains to be seen how practical it will be in practice.

@geek, on Nov 1 2008, 12:50 AM, said in Open Source TC:

Is it still okay to join this? 😄

I can't speak for the others, but I am of the opinion that fresh minds and fresh perspectives are always welcome. Doubly so in such an early stage of development, where we need as many contributions as we can get.

I'm kind of excited to see an open project my first time in the EV Developers Corner. I'm no EV Mod-Genius, but If I come up with any nifty ideas, I'll share em :).

Edit: The Defensive concept thing is interesting. And the other stuff you guys have done so far looks good too. I doubt I'll be much use here, given my limited abilities, but if you need a couple BBS missions, or something simple like that, I'll see what I can do.

This post has been edited by Strikur : 01 November 2008 - 06:18 AM

I very much support the idea of Defensive Threshold. It is actually rather similar to what I am doing in creating the new Wraith plugin, though I am making both shields and armor like that.

I like the idea. It definitely removes a lot of strategies which rely on just wearing them down, something you should be happy about, Josh, since those were mostly long-range attacks. It also makes my most recent outfit idea that I'm working on considerably more effective.

hmm. maybe i should take the time to read it. although im 99.100% sure im gonna like it, and be all like "oh what they said, its awesome!"... lol im being serious about this too :)..

anyway as this thread is starting to get a little long, i think it might be a good idea for anyone who wants to actively promote this idea to link it the first page in there sig, so if anyone comes in and feels lost, they can just refer to the link and catch up with JTH's wonderful synopsis on the 1st post...

Or people could just click on page one...

On back on topic. will we use evweb's Graphics? either the enhanced ones or as is.

This all sounds so AMAZING, but DropBox doesn't work on Panther, so I'll have to wait impatiently for my MacBook Pro with Leopard to arrive. Hope to be able to help soon. 😄

@geek, on Nov 2 2008, 09:52 PM, said in Open Source TC:

This all sounds so AMAZING, but DropBox doesn't work on Panther, so I'll have to wait impatiently for my MacBook Pro with Leopard to arrive. Hope to be able to help soon. 😄

I have a similar problem. However, as Josh informed me, the DropBox application isn't really necessary--its just really convenient. You can still access the DropBox just as well though your internet browser and work from there.

Alright, back from my unintended absence. And Geek, you can log into the Drop Box without the application, it's just a lot less convenient since you have to use it more like a normal file sharing site like that.

Anyways, major factions deadline was Friday. We have a number of ideas lurking about, check the "Faction Ideas" and the government ideas Visitor uploaded and please vote for those. Also, vote for three. I'm reserving my votes for the case of a tie that causes four or more factions to be in the top three.

Hmm... Tricky tricky, they all look good, but my votes go for an extreme militaristic culture (my idea), a monarchy in space with a church as a governing body (JoshTigerheart's idea, I believe) and a Bureaucracy like the one vIsitor suggested. I think the militaristic culture could stand to have some tradition stemming from their culture, as per Josh's idea, and that the bureaucracy should have some underlying concepts that the player isn't initially aware of. (e.g. a rebellion stemming from the lower classes that's about to take shape in game time, since as we know, every country has a lower class!)

I strongly support the monarchy, though. A king and church in space is a highly original idea, and if we can write good storylines/descs for it, we could pull it off magnificently.

Also, on the barely spoken of subject of maps, I think we should implement some type of map that has "no boundaries." That is, the systems at the edges of space outside what has already been settled by civilization have some type of anomaly not unlike the krypt and the space north-west of the Federation in EVN, except that the anomaly resists the player's attempts to explore into those outer regions of space. This way, we could have a map with no defined end (in EVN I can use my Raven to fly clear around the universe and not go further. I actually did that once...) and thus it would seem a bit larger to the player than it really would be, due to the benefit of the doubt granted by not being able to see the end to the systems labeled "unknown." What do you guys think?