EVN - Delphi

Sol it's great to see you're still working on Delphi after all these years. I knew you meant it when you let us know back on ev-nova.net that this would not become vapour ware 😄

I'm doing web and graphics design professionally now, and if you'd like a little web tasty for the release of Dephi I'd love to contribute.

What happened to Delphi? Is this finished, or is he takin a break?

@spartan-jai, on 09 February 2011 - 08:18 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

What happened to Delphi? Is this finished, or is he takin a break?

Real Life has taken up most of Delphi's time. Balancing a job and school isn't an easy task.

Okay. Cool. Both are definitely more important. No sarcasm at all.

Hey guys. Don't worry, I'm not dead. King of Manticores got it right: I've just been really tied up with school and work. I'm pretty much doing two full-time commitments. Fortunately, I'm proud to announce the following:

Posted Image

"Good news, everyone! By injecting added amounts of Fluxotronium into the Time-Space Convulator, I have gone back in time and resurrected the computer of an ancient civilization! They called it... Mac OS 9."

Ahem. Anyway, this means I now have access to ResEdit, and as a result I'm trying to add my own custom sound effects into the plug. I'm still getting the hang of using this good ol' archaic system, but it's coming back to me slowly. I used to be a whiz with it. You should have seen the maps I whipped up for Marathon Infinity.

Actually, I have a query regarding sound assembly: I think I'm doing it right, but the end result is muted. Mission Computer plays the sound clip just fine, but in the game there's no sound. This is the process I'm using. Feel free to point out any glaring mistakes.

1. Use Sound Studio to convert the AIFF into a System 7 Sound.
2. Send it over to Mac OS 9 and open the System 7 Sound with ResEdit.
3. Open the SND resource and copy the only file in there.
4. Open the Nova Plugin or Nova Sounds data file and paste the sound clip into the SND resource. Remove one of the existing ones (or use an empty slot) and assign it a useable ID number (like, perhaps, 208; the light blaster sound slot).
5. Send the plugin/data back into Mac OS X and add it to the Plugins folder.
6. Play EV: Nova.

It seems like everything works fine up until step 6. The sound plays just fine, the system isn't converting it to a different format when I move it around, and it copies and pastes between Mission Computer plugs just fine, playing perfectly in the preview system.

What am I doing wrong?

By the way, I know that at least 80% of you totally read that in Professor Farnsworth's voice.

Actually, I figured out the solution the sound problem.

Here's the trick, to help you guys as well with any of your own plugin ventures:

- Audio must be in System 7 Format
- Audio must be in 8 bit
- Audio must be mono

If you meet these three criteria, you can copy and paste between ResEdit files with reckless abandon and all of your sounds should work. I'd recommend a piece of software called Sound Studio, because it does a really good job of compressing an AIFF to 8 bit mono without sounding like garbage.

lawl, with the new board update some of your pictures go off the page and look really cool.

Post more screenshots. to prove you're not dead :heythere:

@insomniac, on 14 February 2011 - 05:58 AM, said in EVN - Delphi:

lawl, with the new board update some of your pictures go off the page and look really cool.

Post more screenshots. to prove you're not dead :heythere:

I would post screenshots, but there's nothing new (visually) to show. Everything I've been doing in recent weeks has been on sound design, when I find time away from school and work, that is.

I'm still alive! Don't worry. The project has NOT been abandoned. School has been a full-time job lately, and that combined with work has kept me off my computer for quite a while. I've not forgotten to work on the project though; I've got several pages of paper scripts and mission trees that I'm hoping to implement as soon as I have all the ships necessary to play them. Everything is really hinging on completing the shipyard, now.

I figure I should really give you something, so here's one of the frames from the render of the Enclave Daybreaker. The Enclave version of this ubiquitous fighter is actually based off of an older, larger gunship model once used by the NDC. As a result, it is larger than the modern Daybreaker and better-armored. However, it lacks the nimble nature of its NDC counterpart. In place of twin Gatling Electromags, it sports only one, opting to use the remaining space for missile storage. When fighting these ships, it is best to get up close and personal and pound on them with energy cannons, as their plentiful stocks allow them to fight from afar unabated for prolonged periods of time.

Posted Image

@delphi, on 08 July 2007 - 10:39 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

I have no clue what happened to ev-nova.net, so I guess a restart of my development thread will be required.

On ev-nova.net, I was under the username Sol, so if anybody is wondering what happened to me, here I am. I had hoped for the longest time that ev-nova.net would come back online, but it seems like it may be gone indefinitely, so I'll begin the recollection of my resources here.

For those who don't know, I am a 19-year-old EV Nova plugin developer working on a new total conversion for Nova, set far into the future in almost a film-noir style of storytelling. The universe is a dark place, and fear and confusion control the hearts of good men.

I'll get around to reposting the entire history of the game universe eventually.

Either way, people from ev-nova.net who were wondering on the status of the TC, here I am.

So far this is what we're looking at:

133 generic missions scripted, to create a "functional" universe.
4 100% complete ships.
6 modelled, rendered ships, waiting to be placed in-game and have their stats balanced accordingly.
52 outfits, about half of them complete (some need to be linked to weapons, ships, mission bits, etc. most still need outfitter images)
681 systems

Just for those keeping track.

Also, as a taste for those who haven't even heard of this before, here's a model I just finished, the Talon Missile Launcher outfit.

Posted Image

delphi i need your help email me at gmpaul@gimail.af.com tring to create somthing to input in to my reg copy 😃

@delphi, on 16 March 2011 - 03:24 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

Posted Image

As usual, Delphi, it's fabulous!!! 😄 The gold cockpit with the Enclave's purple stripe is a really nice touch. Makes it look like a fighter of royalty. Very nice.

That might just be the only ship I use. It's very nice, Delphi. Favorite part? The golden cockpit.

You can't use fighters in EVN: Delphi, Jai. Fighters are stronger than in other TCs and the original series, but still can't take on capital ships without help.

... at least, that's what I gather from Delphi's posts.

@ptgm89, on 16 March 2011 - 03:30 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

delphi i need your help email me at gmpaul@gimail.af.com tring to create somthing to input in to my reg copy 😃

I don't think Delphi is capable of doing work outside of this TC until he has completed it.

That said, if you are a mate of his, that would be an entirely different matter.

@delphi, on 16 March 2011 - 03:24 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

Posted Image

The purple and gold seem a little too vibrant for me, but that's just my opinion. Other than that, that's a really cool render.

@king_of_manticores, on 16 March 2011 - 06:33 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

I don't think Delphi is capable of doing work outside of this TC until he has completed it.

That said, if you are a mate of his, that would be an entirely different matter.

The purple and gold seem a little too vibrant for me, but that's just my opinion. Other than that, that's a really cool render.

The colors are always more vibrant on the renders than they are in the final copy. I start with higher saturation colors so that I can desaturate them to exactly the right level for the sprite. It's not actually that pink/purple in the game. Also, it's leaning toward the light source, so it's brighter than usual.

Anyway, I also present to you, the Atlas Freighter!

Posted Image

This one is absolutely massive.

There are no words currently in existence, that have ever existed, or that ever will exist that can describe how awesomely beautiful and how beautifully awesome that ship is. Even the words in this post fail to do it justice. I am simply speechless and in awe. In fact, for a moment after laying eyes on it, I literally could not move for several seconds.

(yes, I do realize how ironic it is to say what I said considering what it means)

@delphi, on 17 March 2011 - 01:35 AM, said in EVN - Delphi:

The colors are always more vibrant on the renders than they are in the final copy. I start with higher saturation colors so that I can desaturate them to exactly the right level for the sprite. It's not actually that pink/purple in the game. Also, it's leaning toward the light source, so it's brighter than usual.

Oh, okay then. That would make sense.

@delphi, on 17 March 2011 - 01:35 AM, said in EVN - Delphi:

Anyway, I also present to you, the Atlas Freighter!

Posted Image

This one is absolutely massive.

Gibberish flew out of my mouth as soon as I saw that.

I don't even know what to say.

@darthkev, on 16 March 2011 - 06:01 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

You can't use fighters in EVN: Delphi, Jai. Fighters are stronger than in other TCs and the original series, but still can't take on capital ships without help.

I'll be fine.
That's what you say now...