EVN - Delphi

Don't worry, you're not getting ahead of yourself. Remember that these ships are personalized, so making them ridiculously powerful and/or massive doesn't change the gameplay in any way, unless you decide to attack them when they show up randomly as they do.

It looks a bit like a massive sword in space. Do you mind if I do a little bit of handiwork on the file and clean it up like I did with the gunship? I could probably make something very nice out of your broadsword-like design.

Also, remember that there's still a second component library coming out, in case you wanted more pieces and parts to work with!

QUOTE (king_of_manticores @ Jun 1 2010, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like a strike ship with a spinal cannon. Like, a gunship or something. I am obviously badly versed with my ship classes, but oh well. 😛

Pretty much exactly what I thought of when I threw it together. Took less than 30 minutes, but hey, it's supposed to be a smaller ship with less detail. It's a single artillery cannon first, then a mobile one second, and a crewed mobile one third. It fits the bill of general NDC ship design.

One last note: All I did was put lines into a 3D environment, and gave those lines to you. Whatever combinations of them you make, are 100% your own creations. You don't have to ask me for permission to do anything or use it wherever. If anything, this is truly one instance in which imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I know that when I started using SketchUp, creating ships from scratch was arduous and painstaking, costing me many hours of sleep that I spent wide awake, frustrated at a section plane that wasn't working properly, or whatever the problem of the night was each time. It's my thinking, that if I can enable the community to create their spacial fantasy with quick drag-and-drop pieces, saving them countless hours of misery, it's the least I can do.

Suddenly, you don't have to have a degree in 3D architecture to make something that looks cool.

QUOTE (Delphi @ Jun 2 2010, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It looks a bit like a massive sword in space. Do you mind if I do a little bit of handiwork on the file and clean it up like I did with the gunship? I could probably make something very nice out of your broadsword-like design.

That's how my brother described it when he saw it. I see it that way, too. I kinda like it like that. 🙂 And yes, you can modify it if you like and do with it as you please.

Also, remember that there's still a second component library coming out, in case you wanted more pieces and parts to work with!

Oh right! I guess we'll call this one a rough draft of the Wyvern until I see what's in the second pack. If I see anything I like, I'll add it in and make an update post of the Wyvern. If not, I'll let you know so you know the above version (or whatever you make from it) is the final version.

QUOTE (Delphi @ Jun 2 2010, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One last note: All I did was put lines into a 3D environment, and gave those lines to you. Whatever combinations of them you make, are 100% your own creations. You don't have to ask me for permission to do anything or use it wherever. If anything, this is truly one instance in which imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I know that when I started using SketchUp, creating ships from scratch was arduous and painstaking, costing me many hours of sleep that I spent wide awake, frustrated at a section plane that wasn't working properly, or whatever the problem of the night was each time. It's my thinking, that if I can enable the community to create their spacial fantasy with quick drag-and-drop pieces, saving them countless hours of misery, it's the least I can do.

Suddenly, you don't have to have a degree in 3D architecture to make something that looks cool.

Ouch. I think I left a hole in my ceiling from when I jumped out of pure joy. On a related note, these boards need some new emoticons. There's nothing here to show the joy I'm feeling right now. The best I can do is this: ^_^

Edit: Quick question. How do I get a Sketchup file into Blender so I can texture/paint it?

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 02 June 2010 - 04:39 AM

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Jun 2 2010, 03:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quick question. How do I get a Sketchup file into Blender so I can texture/paint it?

The free version of SketchUp doesn't allow exporting in any format other than Google Earth models, but the professional copy supports the exporting of nearly every 3D format.

Though the professional edition is rather expensive, I found a quick workaround a long time ago. Just download both copies. Keep the free copy, and the trial version of the pro version. The professional demo will give you 8 hours of trial time, so don't open it too frequently.

Make your models in the free version, and then open the professional version just for a minute or two at a time to open the model and export it. Close the pro version the instant you're done this, and you're set. You should be able to get several hundred exports from the pro version's 8 hour trial if you're quick about it, and as long as you don't accidentally leave the program running.

Sorry, I know it's an awkward workaround, but it's the best thing right now unless you want to shell out a few hundred dollars for a permanent SketchUp license.

The alternative would be to find a free 3D program that can read SketchUp files and export them into a different format. That's about all I can think of.

A small update for the cruiser. The front didn't look detailed enough when compared to the back.

Ship Component Library 2.0 is now available.

The link is down below. This version includes all the contents of the first collection, as well as the large-scale modular starship components that I promised you. I haven't assembled a detail set yet, but I'm working on it. This collection will give you all the tools to create every ship you've seen across the last 10 - 15 pages. It's all here. As far as I can tell, having uncompressed the file and opened every model within, there shouldn't be any bugs with these, aside from the usual scaling issues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Ship Components 2.0 •

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, quick note that I posted on DarthKev's thread regarding Sketchup and Blender. If you export as a Google Earth file, you get a .kmz file. This is actually a zip archive. Rename to _____.zip, extract all, and then you get a Collada .dae file. You can import this into many different 3D softwares, Blender being one good example. Just FYI.

May I suggest moving the component discussion and ships by other people to another thread? This one is becoming a bit cluttered.

I agree with Shlimazel. In fact, it'd be best if the EV Nova community could mess around with your stuff, not just the guys on the Developer's Corner, Delph. 😛

People showcasing their stuff on your thread isn't bad, but it kinda distracts from the progress updates.

Oh goodness more ships! And ship parts! I feel like I should get into this whole modeling thing...... I would like to make something...... I'll see what I can do!
Also Delphi, I think you have sparked a renaissance of ship design, everyone just has such nice ships! They are all so awesome!

Actually, the ships I've made were meant to be used in the game should Delphi approve them. Though I do see what you mean. I guess such a reason is why we have the Gallery and Just Graphics.

And while I also agree the entire Nova Community should know about this and get the chance to use it, I'm not sure how many of them will be interested. Most of the people there are more interested in the game itself, not making things for it. I suppose you're welcome to inform them, just don't be surprised if there's a lackluster response.

Anyway, check the Nova section of the Gallery now and then because I'll be uploading screenshots of every ship I make (with texturing and painting) including a line of Kestrel variants.

-------------------------------
This was a hijacking by the HOTS Development Team. This concludes the hijacking.

Double posting 'cuz the SDS Wyvern deserves it.

So here's one (just one) screenshot of the Wyvern before texturing and painting. Delphi, you can get the Sketchup file here. I'll be giving it a paint job of my own for HOTS, but you can use the file to texture it yourself if you'd prefer to have your own textures on it when it's in DTC rather than however I end up painting it.

Shli, manticore, before you complain, this does technically pertain to DTC as it's to be my përs ship in the game per Delphi's offer. 🙂

Edit: Uninformed comment...

This post has been edited by Sp3cies : 23 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

@DarthKev
I wasn't complaining, I just found the pictures deteriorating to the purpose of an update topic. If it pertains to Delphi, then I'm okay with it, but a lot of people posting a massive amount of pictures deviates too far from what this topic was supposed to be about.

A new small fighter for both the NDC and the Enclave: the Daybreaker. This is the smallest fighter available, and the only one with only a single crewman. Though very lightly-armored, it has surprisingly powerful shields for its size, higher than some even found on larger starfighters. The original model carried heavier weapons but suffered from a complete lack of shields. The defenses were modified after several complaints about the rate of attrition suffered by Daybreaker pilots. Despite the initial cost of adding a refractor grid to the ship's equipment, the long-term cost has been significantly lower due to the higher survival rate seen as a result.

It looks so cute! Like a swarm of cute angry bees that can kill you! I like it!

QUOTE (EKHawkman @ Jun 6 2010, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It looks so cute! Like a swarm of cute angry bees that can kill you! I like it!

That's the most awesome thing I've heard all day. Just thought you should know.

QUOTE (Delphi @ Jun 6 2010, 07:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A new small fighter for both the NDC and the Enclave: the Daybreaker. This is the smallest fighter available, and the only one with only a single crewman. Though very lightly-armored, it has surprisingly powerful shields for its size, higher than some even found on larger starfighters. The original model carried heavier weapons but suffered from a complete lack of shields. The defenses were modified after several complaints about the rate of attrition suffered by Daybreaker pilots. Despite the initial cost of adding a refractor grid to the ship's equipment, the long-term cost has been significantly lower due to the higher survival rate seen as a result.

I like it too, though I'm a little surprised that you have only one fighter in Delphi with a single crewman. (I consider that to be virtually required for first tier fighters.) Quick question though: which end is the bow?

The name Daybreaker suits this fighter well, Delphi. Looks nice, and very Fed Viper-esque.

DarthKev, I think the bow isn't facing the viewer. I think the angle the Daybreaker is in is showing you its engine, considering that I see something that looks like a gun at the longer end of the spacecraft.

I actually thought it was the other way around. Reminds me of the probe from Starcraft as well. I really like it though!

And the way delphi's fighters work isn't the same as Nova's fighters, so it doesn't surprise me that much.