Delphi Ship Creations

QUOTE (Meaker VI @ Aug 5 2010, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha ha! If you've been reading from the beginning, the ships are all using Delphi's parts, which are boxy and random shaped and not really conducive to "smooth" ships.... Sketchup isn't actually that conducive to smooth ships either...

...unless you know what you're doing.

These ships we're drawing are mostly for our own amusement, and probably won't be used for anything unless we use them. At least, I haven't gotten any requests...

Actually, I could make use of several of those for Klavarese ships in EVN:UGF; they're the only ones I didn't already have developed in my sci-fi writing. Mind if I snag 'em?

QUOTE (StarSword @ Aug 6 2010, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I could make use of several of those for Klavarese ships in EVN:UGF; they're the only ones I didn't already have developed in my sci-fi writing. Mind if I snag 'em?

That's completely fine, I'm probably not going to get anything done with them 😛

Now, which ones did you want and in what stage of completeness? Currently, very few of them have the lt. gray inner area finished, but I could probably finish out whatever color(s) you choose. I was originally planning on doing something more detailed (using Delphi's parts more) but those models ended up too unwieldy and took too long to develop.

Edit: I haven't been able to get the file size for any particular model down below 500-1000kb, so it won't work to just post them here.

This post has been edited by Meaker VI : 09 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (Meaker VI @ Aug 9 2010, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edit: I haven't been able to get the file size for any particular model down below 500-1000kb, so it won't work to just post them here.

Use Dropbox.

(I should get them to pay me for this ;))

I'll consider doing that, but I was thinking that email and/or PM would work just fine seeing that my email accounts average 8 gigs of storage no problem, and I've sent files up to 12 megs before. 😉

QUOTE (Meaker VI @ Aug 9 2010, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's completely fine, I'm probably not going to get anything done with them 😛

Now, which ones did you want and in what stage of completeness? Currently, very few of them have the lt. gray inner area finished, but I could probably finish out whatever color(s) you choose. I was originally planning on doing something more detailed (using Delphi's parts more) but those models ended up too unwieldy and took too long to develop.

I like the blue ones at the front in particular.

• The biggest one (with three blue sections) would do nicely for the Thiera -class battlecruiser. Close off the front opening, make the middle section the fighter bays, and it should be good to go for the teaser stage.
  • The one to the left would do for the Fiir'olong -class destroyer. Pretty much good as-is, I think.
  • The smaller one to the right of the battlecruiser should be good for the Linvon -class picket ship (kind of a frigate).
  • The small blue one, second from the right (the one that looks like two wings stuck together), should do well for the N'valik -class phoenix (multipurpose fighter).
  • The boxy green ship directly behind the battlecruiser ought to work for the Yad'orila -class bulk freighter. The smaller one to its right (vertical tailfin) is good for the Ver'ashak -class transport.
  • The middle-most of the yellow ships (twin round engine pods) looks nice; I'll go with that for the Shir'onuli -class envoy.

QUOTE (StarSword @ Aug 11 2010, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like the blue ones at the front in particular.

• The biggest one (with three blue sections) would do nicely for the Thiera -class battlecruiser. Close off the front opening, make the middle section the fighter bays, and it should be good to go for the teaser stage.
  • The one to the left would do for the Fiir'olong -class destroyer. Pretty much good as-is, I think.
  • The smaller one to the right of the battlecruiser should be good for the Linvon -class picket ship (kind of a frigate).
  • The small blue one, second from the right (the one that looks like two wings stuck together), should do well for the N'valik -class phoenix (multipurpose fighter).
  • The boxy green ship directly behind the battlecruiser ought to work for the Yad'orila -class bulk freighter. The smaller one to its right (vertical tailfin) is good for the Ver'ashak -class transport.
  • The middle-most of the yellow ships (twin round engine pods) looks nice; I'll go with that for the Shir'onuli -class envoy.

Alrighty; now, do you want rendered graphics, models, or concept images?

And, to clarify, I'll be posting a better image soon so that you can explain exactly which models/graphics you want and for what. Don't be shy asking for changes and things, I can usually fix up the ships in a matter of minutes - though I won't be doing extensive greebling or placing tons of components like on my other images because that just slows things down unnecessarily. 🆒

Edit: Here we go- use this to identify more precisely which ships you'd be interested and what changes might need to happen. They are to scale (but don't need to be) and colored for my own purposes as they were before. now, there is also a scale-platform with a randomly assigned color and a generic title for that size ship. I've assorted them by size rather than by color, and scaled up the fighters so they're visible on the bottom left. Lots of the smaller ships don't have much (any) detail because this was originally a quick exercise in ship design, and because I figured out that any of these rendered at in-game usage size the detail didn't show through. To clarify them for me, pick which platform (by name or color), which color ship on the platform, and which one (if there is more than one) you'd like. If you want anything basic done* with them let me know that too. And to reiterate, I do need to know whether you want models (which will require an email transfer of some sort), graphics, or if these types of images will work by themselves.

*"Basic" meaning I'll change the size, add the gray inner stuff and some minor detailing (more/less guns, turrets, fighter bays, etc.)

This post has been edited by Meaker VI : 11 August 2010 - 03:17 PM

So I decided to download Sketchup and Delphi's Pieces, and I modeled what I think would be a frigate. First, how do you change the background, and second (I'm gonna sound stupid) take a screenshot to upload?

EDIT: looked earlier in thread, know how to change background. Screenshots, still nope.
EDIT 2: Does Delphi have any other pieces? We were given quite a bit to work with, but I had an idea for a carrier. Only, the fin that comes in Ship Components 2 is bent, and it doesn't have a matching side.

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 11 August 2010 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Aug 11 2010, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I decided to download Sketchup and Delphi's Pieces, and I modeled what I think would be a frigate. First, how do you change the background, and second (I'm gonna sound stupid) take a screenshot to upload?

EDIT: looked earlier in thread, know how to change background. Screenshots, still nope.
EDIT 2: Does Delphi have any other pieces? We were given quite a bit to work with, but I had an idea for a carrier. Only, the fin that comes in Ship Components 2 is bent, and it doesn't have a matching side.

1. There are multiple ways to change the background, the best involves manipulation of the "Scene" window.
  2. File/Export 2D/Name your file, use the dropdown to choose .jpg and use the "options" button to change size and quality.
  3. I always copy and then flip the fin around - either by using the right-click menu and the "flip-along" option or by scaling by -1 along one axis- to make a symmetrical fin. You can also scale it almost flat which makes it more or less flat, or scale it really wide to make it a completely different piece.
  4. Preemptively - I provided a file for anyone to use to help with rendering. It is made for Twilight, a rendering plugin available for sketchup. However, if you use it with regular sketchup, you can set up an animation that will export a series of .jpgs (or whatever) of the ship in all of the 36 angles, though it won't use shadows and I haven't figured out a system to fix that yet.

Never mind, that didn't work! It won't let me insert the image. Man I suck at this... 😞 It says "ambrosiasw.com says enter URL for image"? WHAT? And, no, I don't know what I'm doing. I know I probably could find this elsewhere, but how am I supposed to create a URL for my image? By the way, I'm sorry for cluttering up this topic with my own stupid problems.

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 11 August 2010 - 09:13 PM

I think I got it! Lets see if this works... No, that didn't.

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 11 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

Use Dropbox to make a URL for the image. After installing, place the screenshot image in the 'Public' folder inside the Dropbox folder. Then right-click on the screenshot, go down to 'Dropbox' in the pop-up menu, click 'Copy Public URL', and then make a post here using that URL surrounded by image tags.

Image tags look like this: (img)(/img)

When I right-click on the screenshot, I don't see dropbox. In fact, dropbox doesn't even open. This sucks. Any other ways, because I can't compress it, archiving doesn't help. Well, I did model a fighter, and I'll upload the jpg via attachment. And, my dad has so many parental controls on this computer, I can't even open dropbox without his permission. Which was my problem. It worked! When uploaded as an attachment, it works! Cool! Anyway, this fighter only took me 8 of Delphi's pieces. So, I can't really take credit, even though it isn't that good. After all, all we did was arrange them.

Attached File HeavyFighter.jpg (98.78K)
Number of downloads: 39

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 11 August 2010 - 10:25 PM

Unless you have another way, or you just want to look at them, I could email them to you. I'll try to get the dropbox thing resolved, and also try to cut down on the size of the other two models.

I actually use another web board that I belong to that actually allows member galleries to put my pictures up here (nudges admins). Another option is probably to somehow utilize google documents, actually posting the model to the 3d warehouse, using sites such as flickr...

All right, thanks, I'll try that and other stuff later. In the meantime, why don't we get this thread back on topic? It's not that I'm trying to be offensive, but we did stray quite a bit...

All right I got it. Here's the image of a battlecruiser or a freighter.

And another one, this is the ugliest frigate I've ever seen.

And, the Pelican class Carrier. Actually, if you don't have something already, this would be a good concept for the HOTS Fowl Shipyards... Just a thought, since it is titled and looks like a Pelican.

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 12 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

Actually, it's called Eagle Enterprises now, and I've built all but two of their ships. The last two are a fighter and a gunship. You can see them in the gallery in my signature. I've even painted them now! They're listed with the prefix 'EEI' and all the images are in alphabetical order.

All three of those look great, Jai. My favorite is actually the Pelican, and it also gives me an idea for another ship I've been trying to redesign but not sure how to go about it. The frigate doesn't look that bad, but it could use some work. Still, it's a good attempt. You battlecruiser, though, looks like a mighty water-based warship just decided one day to fly up into the sky and become a starship, very cool.

Thanks, DarthKev, that really makes me feel good. Those are the first four ships (including the fighter) that I've modeled. And, in my opinion, Eagle Enterprises is a better name. And I'll revert to one of my earlier questions, does Delphi have even more pieces? Because the component library in his sig says 2.0. What happened to 1.0? Or are they just redesigned to make 2.0? I was hoping for some turrets to mount on some of my modeled ships, but...
By the way, are all of the orange ships in your gallery star wars influenced?

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 12 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Aug 12 2010, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... does Delphi have even more pieces?

No, the 2.0 Library contains all of the pieces from 1.0 plus the rest for 2.0. Delphi didn't make turrets/add turrets for anyone to use, though you could make your own by building a short cylinder and placing the small cannon piece on either side. It's low detail, but effective. If I make a turret of my own, I'll let you use it, too. You also might want to try improving your fighter with this cockpit piece I made, based off a piece Delphi made but didn't add to the collection.

By the way, are all of the orange ships in your gallery star wars influenced?

Good eye, yes they are. They're also the only ones based off Star Wars ships. I hope it's easy to tell what's based on what, but in case it isn't, here's a handy list:

• Broadsword - YT-1300/Millennium Falcon
  • Claymore - Mon Calamari Star Cruiser
  • Gladius - A-Wing Starfighter
  • Longsword - Nebulon-B Frigate
  • Machete - Corellian Corvette/Tantive IV/Princess Leia's ship
  • Sabre - X-Wing Starfighter
  • Scimitar - Imperial Gunship (not seen in movies)
  • Spatha - Y-Wing Starfighter
  • Switchblade - Lamda Class Shuttle/Imperial Shuttle

At the same time, the ELX ships (gold with light grey) are based off Starfleet vessels from Star Trek, the one exception being the Jupiter Class. That's based on a non-canon design made by Adam Heinbuch called the Eclipse Class. You can find the original design by Adam Heinbuch here as well as several other designs he made and original canon ships from Star Trek.

Now I'm getting off-topic, so I'll stop here. If you make more ships, Jai, please do post them!

I know that these pieces are already premade, but these are taking me like 15 minutes to put together.

...Except for coloring. That took me a little bit to tweak it just right. If I decide to make a shan for nova, this'll be a rebel Missile Boat.
EDIT: Whoops, still gotta edit fighter. And about the turret, thanks.

EDIT: Decided to add some stats if I were to add this.
Shields: 600
Armor: 270
Energy: 600
Weapons: 8 (eight) insert name of custom weapon here Missile Pods, and 1 (one) insert name of custom weapon here Beam Turret OR Turret (doesn't have to be a beam turret...).
EDIT 2: I'm sort of a star wars geek, don't know a lot about Star Trek...

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 12 August 2010 - 08:43 PM