MissionComputer: The Saga Continues

hmm. 😞

well, thanks. Maybe I can run a mac emulator so I can use your awesome software anyway.

While I have heard of Mac emulators for Windows machines, I have yet to hear of a legal one. I have not heard of Mac emulators for Linux and I do not believe one currently exists. Just pointing that out.

This post has been edited by darthkev : 10 March 2010 - 06:09 PM

The only Mac emulator I know of for Windows is designed for Windows 98, and it runs OS8. What did you find? The only other way I know to run Mac on Windows is to run a Hackintosh. (Not advised.)

Pretty much the same thing, but I believe Apple has said somewhere in one of their many legal documents pertaining to use of their OS that it can only be legally used on an Apple computer of their design. Using it on a PC would be illegal.

Yep. It's actually been that way from the start, which is why the guy who wrote the Mac emulator for OS8 was forced to stop. And also why I mentioned that running a Hackintosh is not recommended.

QUOTE (krugeruwsp @ Mar 11 2010, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep. It's actually been that way from the start, which is why the guy who wrote the Mac emulator for OS8 was forced to stop. And also why I mentioned that running a Hackintosh is not recommended.

http://www.osnews.com/story/21564/Building...n_t_Sue_You_For

just putting it out there

QUOTE (oryhara @ Mar 20 2010, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting...

Hah. I don't think that would hold water if you were sued, however unlikely that may be to begin with.

QUOTE (David Arthur @ Mar 10 2010, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As in every other programme, Save As differs from Save in that it allows you to save a new copy of the current file, rather than over-writing the existing version with your changes. The reason there are two Save As commands is to allow a simpler way to save a resource file as .rez, or a .rez file as standard resources. Would it be clearer to you if it were named ‘Save As (Macintosh)’ instead?

If Save As changed the type and creator codes to Npïf/NövÀ, it would be useless for people editing EV data files, or resource files of other types. If you want to change a file's creator code, use the Document Info command in the File menu.

Would it be feasible to include a drop-down menu in the “Save As
” dialog, from which to choose a file format if desired?

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Mar 31 2010, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would it be feasible to include a drop-down menu in the “Save As
” dialog, from which to choose a file format if desired?

Unfortunately not.

That’s too bad. In any event, MissionComputer is an excellent tool, and I want to thank you again for developing it. Also, I had not been aware of your File→Document Info menu item before you told me about it in this thread, so thank you for that too.

QUOTE (REDchigh @ Mar 10 2010, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm. 😞

well, thanks. Maybe I can run a mac emulator so I can use your awesome software anyway.

If you are willing to run MC 3.3.3 at a maximum, you can give SheepShaver a try. You will need a Mac ROM which can be extracted from a real 1999-era Mac and legal system software. Also, beige G3s capable of hitting MissionComputer 4's minimum requirement of 10.3.9 (right?) with XPostFacto can be found on eBay for less than $10. You'll need a good 256 MB of RAM installed for it to be usable with 10.3.9, though. If you stick with MC3 and OS 9, you can make do with as little as 64 MB of RAM and survive.

I can't think of a problem with evaluating Mac OS 9 in an emulator before you buy a system as long as you toss the emulator if you have no intention of buying the system, but keep in mind that a real Mac is vastly more stable and in my case faster than an emulator.

QUOTE (oryhara @ Mar 20 2010, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From the Snow Leopard EULA:
2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. Single Use License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, unless you have purchased a Family Pack or Upgrade license for the Apple Software, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at a time. **You
agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so. **This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.

Conclusion: Apple could sue you for it. The EULA has recently been confirmed as lawful in Apple v. Psystar.

This is a minor point and I can’t remember if it has been mentioned before. Also, it only takes a few extra clicks to do right now, so it probably isn’t worth putting effort into, especially since the situation it would matter is quite rare. But, when I want to delete all sÿst resource from a plug-in, it does not work to select all and then press delete the way it does for any other resource type. This is because the star map appears in the list of resources and when an attempt is made to delete it, a window appears saying that cannot be done, and the other resources that were also selected do not get deleted. So, if you happen to decide to revamp the sÿst resource list, perhaps it might be possible to either have that pop-up window have options like “Okay” and “Cancel”; or perhaps the star map could be moved out of the resource list and made into some other interface element like a button, since it is not actually a resource. Again, very minor hassle, easily worked around. Just a little annoying that there’s no option along the lines of “Yes, I understand the star map cannot be delete, I apologize profusely for having inadvertently included it in my selection, but I really do want to delete the actual resources that I selected.”

Fixed, thanks. The star map entry will be ignored for the purposes of deleting a multiple selection.

I'm experiencing unexpected quits of mission computer whenever I make a change, save, and then try to move the main plug-in window.

If this is a new behaviour, has anything about your system changed recently? Does it ever occur when you're saving with the document window in the foreground?

QUOTE (David Arthur @ Apr 4 2010, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fixed, thanks. The star map entry will be ignored for the purposes of deleting a multiple selection.

Thanks!

QUOTE (Jalisurr @ Apr 6 2010, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm experiencing unexpected quits of mission computer whenever I make a change, save, and then try to move the main plug-in window.

This sounds very similar to what I’ve been experiencing. However for me it only quits when trying to move the main plug-in window after creating a new resource. Can you confirm that it crashes for you when all you have done is modify an existing resource without creating any new ones?

This post has been edited by Qaanol : 06 April 2010 - 04:02 PM

No, you're right. It only crashes after creating a new resource.

What system version are you using?

Mac OSX 10.6.3, on a Macbook Pro 3.06