MissionComputer: The Saga Continues

Other people have had issues with Mac OS 10.6 as well. I may soon have a computer running 10.6, so I'll be able to test these out myself, but it isn't yet clear how much I'll be able to do, since it seems to be a platform issue.

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Jun 14 2010, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I have an Npïf with a name longer than 32 characters … open in MissionComputer 4.0.8 and I try to open a .rez file with the same beginning of the name … MissionComputer does not open it and presents the error window, “This file could not be opened. MissionComputer could not copy this file into the cache folder. (0)”.

Fixed, thanks.

Two problems.

First, MC4.0.8 crashes if no resource is selected when turning on “Use graphical picker” from the Resource menu. So, open a file, click PICT or rlëD to bring up a list of resources, and if graphical pickers are in use then turn them off from the menu. Then use the menu to turn them on. Application terminates. Repeatable.

CODE

MissionComputer has encountered a out of bounds error routine that prevents it from running. The location of the error could not be identified.

If the problem continues, please report these details on the EV Developer's Corner forum

Second, that error message has a grammatical error in its fourth word.

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Jun 30 2010, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First, MC4.0.8 crashes if no resource is selected when turning on “Use graphical picker” from the Resource menu.

Fixed, thanks.

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Jun 30 2010, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Second, that error message has a grammatical error in its fourth word.

Error reporting takes place at a lower level than grammar awareness.

I encountered two bugs today, not sure if you know about them. First was in the syst resource editor, where it does not fully display a përs' name if it has special characters in it.

The second bug was in the ranks editor. For some reason if you check either of these two contribute fields, then it will not save the whole thing, but it only happens if you check either of these.

This post has been edited by EVWeb : 30 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (EVWeb @ Jun 30 2010, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First was in the syst resource editor, where it does not fully display a përs' name if it has special characters in it.

This was yet another text-encoding issue left over from the switch to Unicode. Fixed, thanks.

QUOTE (EVWeb @ Jun 30 2010, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The second bug was in the ranks editor. For some reason if you check either of these two contribute fields, then it will not save the whole thing, but it only happens if you check either of these.

I doubt this is specifically tied to the ränk editor; the Contribute/Require window has been problematic before. I thought it was all fixed by this point, but it looks like more investigation will be needed.

And finally, a small sign that MissionComputer development is not entirely limited to bug fixes:
Attached File cicnEditorPreliminary.png (53.13K)
Number of downloads: 19

I think Good Ol' MissionComputer is in need of an interface update. OSX Snow Leopard's InterfaceBuilder has a lot more options for designing windows… 😉

QUOTE (friend of doom @ Jun 30 2010, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Good Ol' MissionComputer is in need of an interface update. OSX Snow Leopard's InterfaceBuilder has a lot more options for designing windows… 😉

I'm a bit at a loss as to how to interpret this post — if you're referring to the image I just posted, the sparseness of its interface is because it's an incomplete editor. In any case, MissionComputer isn't made with Interface Builder, and I have no intention of requiring 10.6.

A cïcn editor will be most welcome. Any plans for ppät too?

QUOTE (David Arthur @ Jun 30 2010, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... and I have no intention of requiring 10.6.

Good, I still haven't updated. I'd hate to miss anything new you put into MC just because I'm still on 10.5.

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Jun 30 2010, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A cïcn editor will be most welcome. Any plans for ppät too?

Seconded regarding the cïcn editor. What's a ppät resource?

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Jun 30 2010, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any plans for ppät too?

I haven't investigated the ppat format yet, so I can't currently answer as to how practical it would be to make an editor for it.

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Jun 30 2010, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd hate to miss anything new you put into MC just because I'm still on 10.5.

MissionComputer's system requirements have always been as low as I can keep them. I had to drop support for Mac OS 9 when I switch to the new platform for MissionComputer 4, but the current versions still support 10.3 (and may even work on 10.1/10.2, though I have no way to test this). The biggest increase that might happen any time soon would be a 10.4 requirement, and even that is only speculative.

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Jun 30 2010, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's a ppät resource?

A ppat resource (note the lack of umlaut, since it's a standard resource type rather than an EV-specific one) contains colour patterns, which the engine uses to fill boxes in a few places in the interface.

QUOTE (David Arthur @ Jul 1 2010, 06:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A ppat resource (note the lack of umlaut, since it's a standard resource type rather than an EV-specific one) contains colour patterns, which the engine uses to fill boxes in a few places in the interface.

Huh. And how does that help plug-in/TC developers? :huh:

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Jul 1 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And how does that help plug-in/TC developers? :huh:

If you were re-designing the interface, you might want to replace those patterns. Its importance to EV Nova development is not high, although the fact that MissionComputer can't currently edit it at all, even using a template, slightly increases its relevance to future development. As I said, though, at this point I have no idea how the resource is arranged, or how difficult it would be to edit.

EV Nova uses the ppat resource for radar interference patterns.

Information about the ppat resource: http://developer.apple.com/legacy/mac/libr...itReference.pdf

Information about the PixPat structure: http://www.mactech.com/macintosh-c/chap11-1.html

The older games also use them for the patterned bar that replaces the shield bar to show that you're down to armour, but of course EV Nova 's separate armour bar makes this obsolete.

I keep encountering the create a new resource and try to move the window bug, and it got me thinking. Maybe what's happening is you're changing the state or items within the window incorrectly which causes it to crash when it tries to redraw the whole window, because the same thing happens when you try to resize the window.

QUOTE (EVWeb @ Jul 2 2010, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I keep encountering the create a new resource and try to move the window bug, and it got me thinking. Maybe what's happening is you're changing the state or items within the window incorrectly which causes it to crash when it tries to redraw the whole window, because the same thing happens when you try to resize the window.

Can you give a full description of the process which produces a crash for you, and the system version you're using?

I confirm that attempting to resize the main window after creating a new resource causes MissionComputer 4.0.8 to unexpectedly quit under OS X 10.6.4. No error code is given. Same behavior as when trying to move the main window after creating a new resource.

Does it make any difference whether or not the editor window for that new resource is still open?

Nope, it makes no difference, and I'm running on 10.6.4 with MC 4.0.8

And all I'm doing is creating a resource, then trying to move the main window.

This is the crash info I get from Mac OS X:

0 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x9047dc03 TestWindowGroupAttributes + 9
1 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x90717674 SheetParentHandler(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*, OpaqueEventRef*, void*) + 221
2 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x90458f2f DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 1567