A small update

things are going well

I haven't posted any significant updates to my TC yet, but so far everything is coming along smoothly. So far there are at least 60 ships, 40 weapons, 6 asteroids, 72 outfits, 15 systems, and maybe 20 stellar objects. I've had a few problems getting things to work just right, mostly small things that weren't worth posting on the forums for, and all of them were fixed before development continued. If anyone is interested I've attached some more ships and the galaxy as it looks so far.

Attached File(s)

Your ships look great and congrats for getting as far as creating systems. I'm looking forward to the release if you are going to release it. Let me know if you need any help with the missions as I have some free time and could use the practice to re-learn the quirks of mission bits and stuff.

Nice stuff, Reclusive. Any chance you can post a bigger version of that last, tiny, white ship? I can barely tell what it is at all.

@darthkev, on Sep 24 2010, 03:25 AM, said in A small update:

Nice stuff, Reclusive. Any chance you can post a bigger version of that last, tiny, white ship? I can barely tell what it is at all.

What I posted is 100% size, but it's basically an equivalent of the child wraith, called the sprite. Here's a bigger version:

Attached File(s)

So it's a space-faring creature, not a ship? Interesting...

One more question. On your map there was a nebula that resembled the center of a galaxy. Is my guess correct, or is it something else entirely?

@darthkev, on Sep 24 2010, 03:34 PM, said in A small update:

So it's a space-faring creature, not a ship? Interesting...

One more question. On your map there was a nebula that resembled the center of a galaxy. Is my guess correct, or is it something else entirely?

No it's a nebula (if you thought it was the center of the galaxy thing, I'm not sure if that was your guess or if you thought it was a nebula). It's hard to tell because of the really low size, and I can't upload the high-res version because of space limits with the attachment feature <_< . I'm thinking about doing nebulae the same way as EVO and EVC, in that I make a super big picture and then I have the engine scale it down, because I haven't been having very good results by making six different version of different sizes.

This post has been edited by ReclusiveOne : 24 September 2010 - 03:02 PM

I don't mean to sound like Darthkev, but you could always use Dropbox.

@spartan-jai, on Sep 24 2010, 04:35 PM, said in A small update:

I don't mean to sound like Darthkev, but you could always use Dropbox.

I'll do you one better. Thank you JPEG format! 😄

Attached File(s)

That looks nice! So is your TC just redoing graphics? Or are you changing everything? By the way, you might want to start a status thread instead of posting new topic after new topic.

@spartan-jai, on Sep 24 2010, 09:44 PM, said in A small update:

That looks nice! So is your TC just redoing graphics? Or are you changing everything? By the way, you might want to start a status thread instead of posting new topic after new topic.

Well, the map would indicate it isn't just a graphical alteration. Sol doesn't border to... Ant e res? Never mind... in vanilla Nova, after all.

@spartan-jai, on Sep 24 2010, 04:44 PM, said in A small update:

A status thread seems like a good idea. When I make my next major addition I'll start one.

@LordInsane: I didn't really look at the map very well. I paid attention to the ships. Besides, I saw obatta nebula in the bigger picture, and that's not a new name.
ReclusiveOne, where did you get that graphic? Did you make it? Or is that what NASA is for?

I like the ship images you posted earlier; however, I'm curious how they look in the game. I've tried using a single image before and then rotating it in SpinApp to create a 36 or 72 frame quilt. The results were slightly disappointing when I tried the same method with one of your ship images.. Do you have a different program that will give better results? I guess one possible solution to that problem may be to just create a higher-resolution starter image, spin that, and then downscale everything to the actual in-game size.

Also, I'm curious how long it took for you to make one of those ship images. It may prove to be much quicker than one of my current methods.

Werhner

Attached File(s)

• Attached File Spin.png (79.35K)
    Number of downloads: 17

This post has been edited by Werhner : 24 September 2010 - 07:24 PM

@spartan-jai, on Sep 24 2010, 08:13 PM, said in A small update:

@LordInsane: I didn't really look at the map very well. I paid attention to the ships. Besides, I saw obatta nebula in the bigger picture, and that's not a new name.
ReclusiveOne, where did you get that graphic? Did you make it? Or is that what NASA is for?

I made it myself in photoshop 6.0. Took maybe half in hour of playing around with effects and saturation and what not to get it to look just right.

Werhner, on Sep 24 2010, 08:22 PM, said:

Also, I'm curious how long it took for you to make one of those ship images. It may prove to be much quicker than one of my current methods.

The size definitely contributes to the length of time they take to finish, a shuttle takes 10 minutes max, a large capitol ship takes hours. As for a step by step description of what I do to make them, I'd say it's similar to making a 3d model, only in 2d. I start with an outline (for those who care, I start at the bottom with the engines, and then I work my way up. I decide a base color and I make a slightly darker version of it to use for paneling and other details. I add a few more details and draw on some guns or turrets (like what ATMOS did for most of their ships), and voila done. I use gamemaker 6 to rotate and create my sprite sheets. The results are similar to what you got with spinapp only gm blurs the end result a tiny bit so it looks smoother.