Misn Resource Problem

Well, seeing as I'm putting off downloading the newer version... I probably should do that eventually. Anyway, I messed around with a couple of plugins, and decided I wanted to expand the nova universe. I made 3 new systems and 3 new spobs. I set the mission to show up at one of those places. I had to change that to upload for you guys. The file size was too large. Anyway, I'm always at the right spot, I checked restrictions so many times that I decided to redo it (in a different plug) from scratch! No qualifications, prerequisites, or anything! The only restriction (okay I lied) was to have completed the first one. Which (evidenced by the pilotlogs) never happened. When accepted no bits set. When completed ditto. Nothing. So it's obvious that I'm not completing the mission, and as stated earlier, I really don't know how to fix that. I've tried everything. And about Nova being corrupted, completely possible. I've actually had Nova crash on some occasions (when I have a bad plug-in), and my computer recently got fried, so I had to swap the hard drive with the desktop computer (no I don't have a laptop), and sometimes my computer crashes on its own, when it doesn't like something I'm trying to do ie: open Unity 3D development software, some FPS games, etc. So all in all, there are many ways data could have been corrupted. Remember, this computer is about ten (maybe eight) years old, and is still running Tiger. Not that it makes a difference.

******** :hector_bird: :hector_bird: :hector_bird: :hector_bird: ********

All right guys, you've all been a great help. No, I didn't fix it, but I'm gonna give up for now. I really haven't had time to work on it, except the special occasion at 3:00 in the morning. Anyway, I appreciate it all, but I'm done FOR NOW!

Hope this doesn't count as gravedigging for some odd reason... Anyway, I went back to this same awful plugin that has been giving me so many problems, and now the systems don't even show up. That's right, they don't exsist. At all. I tried linking them to other systems, redoing the links, moving the systems, all sorts of stuff. Didn't work at all. So not only do the missions not work, the planets don't show up!

Do you have copies of the systems in stock EVN that your new systems connect to in the plug-in? If not, then that could be your problem.

Example: We'll say your new system is named Barnard. It connects to the Tichel system, a system in the stock files. However, if a copy of the Tichel system isn't in the plug-in, it won't know it's supposed to connect to the Barnard system. You need to copy the system from the data files over to the plug-in and tell it to connect to the Barnard system.

There are other culprits, as well. Perhaps you've set conditions for the systems to appear that are not true? Would it be alright if we took a look at the plug-in so we can see exactly how you've coded things? Since you have Dropbox, you can just put the full plug-in inside your Public folder and link to it here.

All right, here it is. If the link doesn't work, let me know.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10032662/Meriamos.zip

Okay, I think I know what the problem is. Make a pilotlog and check that b147 and b305 are both clear. If either of them is in your pilotlog, then the version of the Sol system you have in your plug-in won't show up. You need to copy both versions of the Sol system and have both of them connect to the Mera system.

Umm. My pilot is in the Sol system. However, I'll get the pilotlog to you soon.

Yes, but which Sol system? There are two, one in the beginning of the game and another at the end or part-way through. You see, you can't really tell EVN to switch a planet in a system at any point. If a spöb needs to be changed at some point in the course of a mission string, then the system the spöb is in is changed with the new system having the altered spöb.

We'll take the Sol system for an example. Say at one point Earth is destroyed so that spöb needs to be removed. You can't tell EVN to simply remove Earth from the Sol system. You have to create a second Sol system that doesn't have Earth in it to be displayed instead of the Sol system that has Earth. In the case of stock EVN Earth is changed in almost all of the strings (Pirate being the one exception, I believe) and so there's a Sol system for most of the game and another for after a player beats a storyline. Your pilot might be in the second one, which the Mera system doesn't link to.

All right, the planets now show up. So I went to get the second mission, because there are no bits set, and it didn't show up. Does it work for everyone else? And technically you can have earth just disappear. Just give your ship a planet type weapon for the mission, and have the destroyed graphic for Earth be just a sheet of black.

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Aug 29 2010, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All right, the planets now show up. So I went to get the second mission, because there are no bits set, and it didn't show up. Does it work for everyone else?

I did not get it, either. I wonder if the custom button labels could be part of it. The second mission (offered at Meriama) is coded to be offered in the Mission BBS. Missions offered in the Mission BBS can't have custom button labels, only what the Mission BBS itself has. I suppose it's possible having those there might cause a problem.

And technically you can have earth just disappear. Just give your ship a planet type weapon for the mission, and have the destroyed graphic for Earth be just a sheet of black.

Earth would still be there though, you could still select it. It would even still show up on radar. I'm talking about being 100% gone.

Mmm. True about earth. And what custom button labels? I don't have any that I'm aware of.

In the mission the accept button is set to read "I'll Do It." Meanwhile the refuse button is set to read "I Could've Died!"

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 29 August 2010 - 08:23 PM

Ahhh. That makes sense, since the original intention was for it to be in the bar. I'll fix that now.

So I stuck it back in the bar.

EDIT: It's not liking this zip file...

EDIT2: Here we go...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10032662/Meriamos.zip

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 29 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

Still nothing. I'm stumped. There really isn't any explanation (that I see) as to why this mission won't show up. I even added a scan mask so someone might actually try to scan the player. Still nothing. Perhaps EVN has a problem with mission ID #1126?

We should ask David, but I doubt it. Or else 1127 wouldn't work probably. Then again, it doesn't really work right either...

There is no valid TravelStellar, so the mission is not offered.

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Aug 29 2010, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is no valid TravelStellar, so the mission is not offered.

'Planet of gövt 128 or Classmates' is an invalid TravelStellar? Since when?

Yeah, I don't know where you got that Qaanol. I just checked, and when I open the 'magnifying glass' to pick a government, it says Federation. Therefore, you should have to go to a Federal planet.

So are we out of ideas or reasons why this stupid thing doesn't work? Operator error, I'm sure at some point.

Since there is no planet of an appropriate government in a system that is connected by jump links to the system with the planet where the mission is to be offered.