Spacelane: Mercenaries

First and Last Release Version

I've decided not to continue any further with Spacelane, because I think I built it up on a poor foundation and it was pretty poorly planned. I do, however, have another project in development which is better planned and should yield much better results. Since I feel a supernatural loathing for people who work on mods, get a lot done, and then don't release anything, I've decided to release what I had done so far. It's fairly complete, as far as it goes, and it has a lot of interesting things going on inside. Many kudos to king_of_manticores for his great work on the spobs in Spacelane!

You can download the Spacelane files here.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 06 August 2010 - 05:25 PM

He's telling the truth, folks. That 'mover ship' in particular is huge! Almost 700x700 pixels! I'm sorry to hear it's dead, but thanks for letting us see this stuff, Shli. 🙂

Certainly! I want to add that it's fully playable with a decent amount of content, being incomplete in the sense of the graphics not being completely overhauled, and that if anyone should wish to continue Spacelane, all I ask is that you check with me first before doing so.

Wait, so the whole storyline(s) is there? Everything a player might do in the complete version can still be done? The only problem you have with it is the graphics? I can deal with that. Finally, a new TC to try out!

I do have one more question regarding installation since you didn't include a ReadMe or anything close to it. I noticed you included a copy of AbsoluteMinimum. So are we supposed to put Absolute Minimum in the Nova Files folder with the music and the rest goes in the plug-ins folder or just stick it all in the Nova Files folder?

Wait, so the whole storyline(s) is there? Everything a player might do in the complete version can still be done? The only problem you have with it is the graphics? I can deal with that. Finally, a new TC to try out!

No, that's not what I said. I said it is fully playable and has a decent amount of content, and the incompleteness is mostly due to graphics. Please don't read things in that aren't there.

I do have one more question regarding installation since you didn't include a ReadMe or anything close to it. I noticed you included a copy of AbsoluteMinimum. So are we supposed to put Absolute Minimum in the Nova Files folder with the music and the rest goes in the plug-ins folder or just stick it all in the Nova Files folder?

No need to be snippy about it. It doesn't matter where they go, as long as everything goes in together. The data all gets into Nova anyhow, after all. Simplest way to install it is to just put it all in the data files folder.

If I had continued with Spacelane, this release would have been a fairly early release version. More would have followed. When I say "incomplete" I mean that I would have had totally upgraded graphics, whereas this file still has old graphics from earlier versions in it.

QUOTE (Shlimazel @ Aug 6 2010, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No need to be snippy about it. It doesn't matter where they go, as long as everything goes in together. The data all gets into Nova anyhow, after all. Simplest way to install it is to just put it all in the data files folder.

Snippy? I know emotions are hard to tell from text alone, and I apologize if you thought I was being offensive, but I only meant to ask a question. As far as you method goes, it didn't work. In fact, I can't seem to start it at all.

I can probably switch some things around to fix it, but on the off-chance you did miss a file somewhere, I got 4 files from the download: Graphics, Main, Planets, and Ships. Was there anything else? Is it possible any of those files is missing a resource or two? I ran a debuglog to see why it wouldn't start if that helps.

CODE

EV Nova debug log

Output on 8/6/2010 at 6:36 PM

game engine was compiled Dec 25 2008
game engine version is 1.1.0 x86

opening data files & loading prefs
initializing monitor
system software version is 1058
initializing QuickTime
building trig table
opening files in Nova Files folder:
opening files in Plug-Ins folder:

loading sounds
creating window
initializing sprite world
creating scratch frames
creating offscreen buffers
starting music
initializing strings
initializing status bar
initializing objects
initializing buttons
loading object data
warning: www.evula.org/artanis (128) custom landing picture not found
warning: Grimstar Base (146) lacks landing picture for stellar type
warning: Grimstar Base (146) lacks landing description
warning: Grimstar Base (146) has a bar but no bar description

The last three lines make me think something is indeed missing. The first 'warning' line doesn't make sense to me since there isn't a spöb named www.evula.org/artanis. Strangely enough, that URL does actually go to a valid site, though it's still under construction.

QUOTE (Shlimazel @ Aug 6 2010, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can download the Spacelane files here.

I can't seem to download it at all. The link takes me to mediafire with "Spacelane Last Version.zip" written on it, but when I click download my browser tells me it can't find the server. Anyone else have this problem?

What browser are you using? I can download it perfectly fine with Firefox.

Never mind its working now.

This post has been edited by ReclusiveOne : 07 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Aug 7 2010, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The first 'warning' line doesn't make sense to me since there isn't a spöb named www.evula.org/artanis. Strangely enough, that URL does actually go to a valid site, though it's still under construction.

That's the spob included by default in Absolute Minimum. Evula is now defunct, I believe, but this has given me a fantastic idea.

No, I'm not telling you what it is.

I'd like to see you tell that to our resident Super Mod's face. 😛

I have no trouble booting Spacelane by putting all the files in the Nova Data folder (absoluteminimum, nova music, and all four spacelane files). It appears to be working fine. It does seem that I forgot to write descriptions for Grimstar Base, but that wouldn't stop it from booting. You don't have any other files in the nova plugins file or something, do you? Although that would show up on the debuglog, so I'm just grasping at straws.

Has anyone else had problems booting? I would appreciate it if you could let me know about it if so. If there's something wrong with the files that prevents it from booting for some people, I'll try to track it down and correct it.

I'd like to see you tell that to our resident Super Mod's face

I presume he was referring to the site, rather than the person.