Nova Crashes in new System

When I decided to make a new syst and spob, I decided to make it right next to Sol. It showed up just fine on the map, but when I jump to it, the screen goes white as usual, it stays white, and then Nova crashes. Anyone else get this? How do I fix this?

I hear that happens when you link a spob type that is corrupted/doesn't exist. Check your spob's graphics and if that doesn't seem to be it, then work backward by disconnecting the spob from the system.

QUOTE (Meaker VI @ Jul 28 2010, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear that happens when you link a spob type that is corrupted/doesn't exist. Check your spob's graphics and if that doesn't seem to be it, then work backward by disconnecting the spob from the system.

I fooled around with the planet graphics, and that didn't work. I pulled the spob out of the system, and it worked fine. I'm not sure what you mean by work backwards, should I redo the entire resource? Also, the spob exists, and isn't corrupted.

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 28 July 2010 - 06:03 PM

I think Meaker is referring to the planet's spöb type. Is it set to a number that has a corresponding spïn resource, and does that spïn resource point to an existing rlëD resource?

I made the planet with PlanetForge 2.0, and it is saved as a PICT resource. I had a theory that if I use a graphic from Nova instead of my own it could work. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find five seconds to do so in.

Nothing worked. I even set a spin ID and moved it to sol (where my pilot is). Now, it crashes instantly if the plug in is installed. Even after I moved the spob back. :mad:
Any other ideas?

I think at this point we'll need you to start posting the actual values you've given to the relevant fields.

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Jul 28 2010, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I made the planet with PlanetForge 2.0, and it is saved as a PICT resource. I had a theory that if I use a graphic from Nova instead of my own it could work. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find five seconds to do so in.

Something to consider is that Nova's "support" for PICT based sprite's is, at this point, no such thing. Even once the new issue you're facing is handled, you should consider converting this PICT into an RLe.

This was made on , of course, MissionComputer. All right. Here goes. This is the list of all of the resources in the plug. the Spob includes all of the required fields.

Desc: 2 resources
1 ID#2175 Planet Description
2 ID#12047 Bar Description
Govt: 1 resource
1 ID#383 Meriamos
1 intf ID#1233 (Custom)
PICT: 3 resources
1 ID#9480 Bar Picture
2 ID#9481 Landing Picture
3 ID#9482 Picture of Planet
Snd: 1 resource
1 ID#10032 Federation Station
Spob: 1 resource
1 ID# 2175 Meriamos Outfitter
Tab One: Landing
Location 0,0
Graphic type 9482 (PICT ID from PlanetForge 2.0) I assume it has to be a PICT because nothing else worked
Government 383 (Meriamos)
Minimum Legal Status: 0
Landing Fee: 0 credits
Custom Landing Picture: 9481
Landing Sound: 10032 looped
Tab Two: Facilities
Tech Level: 1 Has Shipyard: Yes Has Outfitter: Yes Buys All Items: No
Special Tech: 13 (I changed all of the tech levels of my essential plug outfits to this)
Has a Trade Center: Yes Has a Bar: Yes
Tab Three: Defence
Defence Dude: 639
Fleet Size and Waves:2407
Tribute: 10000
Weapon: ID#199
Strength: -1 (invincible)
Dead Type and Regeneration type ignored (planet is invincible)
Tab Four: Miscellaneous
Everything was left as default.
Syst: 2 resources
1 ID#130 Sol (used to link Mere to the rest of humanity)
2 ID#2175 Mere (Custom)

That is all. If anything looks wrong or you have a suggestion, it would be appreciated.

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 29 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

I've bolded parts that seemed wrong to me.

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Jul 28 2010, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This was made on , of course, MissionComputer. All right. Here goes. This is the list of all of the resources in the plug. the Spob includes all of the required fields.

PICT: 3 resources

1 ID#9480 Bar Picture
2 ID#9481 Landing Picture < <
3 ID#9481 Picture of Planet <<

That first issue was actually a typo, it should have said resource ID#9482. About the spin resource -1000, I didn't know about that. So, I assume if I retry using one of Nova's planet spin resources correctly it would work. I don't know for sure (as I'm not at home) but I'm pretty sure that PlanetForge gives you the option to save it as a mask. I'll give these both a try later today. Thanks for the help.

Yeah, most of the NOVA-editing resources have this interesting 'feature' that really makes things more complicated (since it's not usually strictly followed) that allows you to choose between resource ID's and index ID's. The resource ID for any given resource usually starts out at #128, the index ID starts at 0, but they refer to the same thing. In the case of planets, in NOVA Tools, you input the index ID into the graphic box, and it must be between zero and 255. The index, in the case of planets, is the Resource ID less 1000 (as they've explained already). So the long and short is, your planet's ID MUST be less than 256, or it won't work*.

If you're still having trouble after you've changed all that, look at a spob in NOVA and see what's different. Also look up the spin resource for the spob, and see how the numbers relate.

And a quick note about masks- I don't think that they're actually required, per se, but I do know that your planet (more especially ships and weapons) will not look like it's working right without it. There will be a black box around where the planet is, and with ships (especially player ships) nothing will show through the black box.

*Unless I'm looking at an older version of the EVN Bible, or David Arthur took care of that in Mission Computer and I'm unaware that he did so. I think NOVA Tools allows you to choose to switch to resource ID, which I think is much less confusing, except that then you can't use the EVN Bible anymore.

This post has been edited by Meaker VI : 29 July 2010 - 10:40 AM

As a general rule, MissionComputer works exclusively with resource IDs, transparently converting all index-based fields. The spöb resource's graphic type is an exception to this, which I probably ought to change.

I looked over what Eugene Chin said, and I picked a spin resource from Nova Graphics 3. I copied it, and set it (and minus 1000) as the spob. Worked like a charm! Thanks everyone who helped me figure this out!