I would like some help

With Graphix in EV-Nova

I have graphics for a weapon, but when it fires, I just get a Heavy/Med/Light Blaster shot out of it, The weapon is also supposed to submunition, but it doesn't. I can post the plug if anyone needs to see it.

Thanks!
-K

I suspect the problem is one of the following:

The ammunition the weapon uses is from the one with the ID of 128 + the AmmoType field value. So if your weapon has ID 150, the Ammo Type should be 22, not 150. If the ammunition is infinite, it should be -1 in the Ammo Type field.

The Ammunition uses the graphics with spin resource 3000 + the Graphics field value. So if you use the spin resource 3024, the value in the Graphics field would be 24, not 3024.

Finally the spin resource should have the following values:

Sprites ID: If an rleD, the rleD value, if using PICT, the PICT value.
Masks ID: If an rleD a file that doesn't exist (typically an odd number), if a PICT, the PICT mask ID.

Hope this helps, if not post the file.

The graphic is a Spin resource, it is number 245, I entered 45 in the "Graphic" text field. It has infinite ammo (-1) for the moment.
I will post the file now.
The weapon I am trying to fix is ID 381, and it's name is Acid-Bomb.
Attached File Multi_Nuke.zip (2.8K)
Number of downloads: 4
I hope that you can help me with this!

-K

The problem is that Mission Computer (the Bible?) incorrectly labels the weapon spin numbers as the 200's range. They are in fact in the 3000's range. Change the spin to 3045, and you should be fine.

@templar98921, on Sep 15 2008, 08:38 PM, said in I would like some help:

The problem is that Mission Computer (the Bible?) incorrectly labels the weapon spin numbers as the 200's range. They are in fact in the 3000's range.

They were in the 200s in the first two games, and the version of the Bible on which I based the wëap RDL template didn't convey the change. I was well into 4.0 by the time anyone pointed it out, but 4.0's new wëap editor makes the correct calculation.

Sorry if I offended.

That is interesting. Any idea why they changed?

Changed the numbers, do I need to change the RLEDs also?
Now I get a smattering of seemingly random bullets/missiles (with 4 of these installed on my ship)
Any more ideas?

-K

Make sure you've got the graphic assigned correctly in the weapon resource. You don't need to change the rlëD files. Check to see if the graphics you're getting are the ones that were last fired in the system, because if so, you're experiencing the same thing I have, when you don't have the weapon graphic assigned to an existing spďn.

Interestingly, it pulls graphics from nearby ship's weapon set.

This post has been edited by Templar98921 : 15 September 2008 - 11:16 PM

@templar98921, on Sep 15 2008, 08:50 PM, said in I would like some help:

That is interesting. Any idea why they changed?

A number of ID ranges were changed in EV Nova , to ones that allowed for more resources.

@kasofa1, on Sep 15 2008, 09:12 PM, said in I would like some help:

Changed the numbers, do I need to change the RLEDs also?

No, the IDs of your rlëD/rlë8 resources are entirely arbitrary. You can use whatever IDs you want, as long as they aren't already taken by another resource (either in your files or the original data).

@templar98921, on Sep 15 2008, 11:12 PM, said in I would like some help:

Interestingly, it pulls graphics from nearby ship's weapon set.

Yes. That does happen now that I look at it like that, whenever a weapon is being fired, my weapon will churn out those graphics.
And the Spin rec numbers are safe, I checked in the 'Nova Graphics 2' file, and there aren't any conflicting values.

-K

Do you have a spin of the weapon? Also check to see if the spin is set to the right spirit, and mask. You need and RleD and an Rle8.

Sprite, not spirit :p. Also, you only need the rleD. In fact I recommend not having an rle8 simply because they're redundant/obsolete.

I recommend not having an rle8 simply because they're redundant/obsolete.

How are they obsolete?

Sprite, not spirit

whoops... To much Cythera for my Nova health.

rle8s are used only by Macs running in 256 colours. Ie, no one (seriously, not even users of old OS 9 machines would need to run in 256 colours and it seems modern Macs have the 256 colour setting disabled anyway). They are a waste of time and space. 256 colour mode can also be glitchy and I believe ATMOS has stated it is unsupported.

This post has been edited by Guy : 18 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

Ahh... That explains why some EV graphics from the Port look worse in rle8. Thanks for clearing that up Guy.