Graphical Shän Editor for Mac OS X?

Exactly what I mean

I'm currently trying to place weapon exit points on a ship as practice. However, I'm more of a right-brained person and require a visual shän editor that NovaTools on ResEdit provided. Unfortunately, the monitor on my PowerMac G4 has partially crapped out and I'm not willing to switch the monitor from my MacIntel Mac Mini. So then, is there a visual shän editor out there I can download to run on Mac OS X Leopard? Keep in mind, I've done extensive research, including through this forum. The NovaTool on Rezilla doesn't have a visual editor for shäns. Thanks for any help in advance.

mission computer lets you edit them

Mac_Dude, he wants something that will let him see an image of the ship, and click where he wants the exits to be. I'd like that, myself. Coraxus, I am afraid that I do not know of one. However, I believe David_Arthur plans to have this in the next release of Mission Computer.

oh. well... MC does let you see it.

Well, thanks. I guess I'll just have to wait until the next MC beta then. Hopefully the shäns will be freed from the RDL format by then.

Next release being MC 4.1 or something, not the next beta. orca may or may not have been working on a program to do this too.
Btw, there is no NovaTools for Rezilla.

@guy, on Sep 3 2008, 07:42 PM, said in Graphical Shän Editor for Mac OS X?:

Btw, there is no NovaTools for Rezilla.

Yeah there is, it's the template file you add in the directory of your Mac OS X systems folder.

NovaTools is a suite of resource editors for ResEdit. Templates are just templates, even if they have fancy things like keyed sections. There is no relation at all between NovaTools and the templates available for Rezilla.

@0101181920, on Sep 3 2008, 06:58 PM, said in Graphical Shän Editor for Mac OS X?:

However, I believe David_Arthur plans to have this in the next release of Mission Computer.

A NovaTools-style fully graphical editor will be a great deal of work, requiring extensive testing against NovaTools itself, since it would be worthless if it were anything other than pixel-perfect. The NovaTools shän editor was developed alongside the engine itself, with privileged access to the formulae used for displaying graphics, whereas I will have to rely on reverse-engineering.

What I'm thinking of doing at the moment is introducing it in stages: 4.1 would replace the RDL template with a normal editor (similar to the ones for ships and weapons), and then 4.2 would hopefully revise it to have graphical previews like those in NovaTools.

@guy, on Sep 3 2008, 10:27 PM, said in Graphical Shän Editor for Mac OS X?:

NovaTools is a suite of resource editors for ResEdit.

Yes, people often seem to confuse templates and editors, perhaps because you install them the same way. An editor is an actual programme with code that interprets the resource itself; a template is just a list of fields that tell ResEdit, MissionComputer, or Rezilla how to interpret it.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking a couple releases too far ahead.

Personally I've always thought MC was a pretty amazing application and from the sounds of this it looks to be making giant leaps with every stride. Maybe I'm biased seeing that I'm on a Windows and haven't seen it in operation.

Kudos to David though for pushing forwards plug-in development!