Ev Freelancer!

It's like deja vu...

I know! everywhere I look people want to achieve the impossible. 3D, Multiplayer EV: Nova.

I'm trying to build the world's first hyperspace engine. If you give me two hours, I'll be able to test it out.

That's not that hard! Come on! Try something challenging!

@eirikr, on Jul 16 2008, 03:43 PM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

That's not that hard! Come on! Try something challenging!

It is. I'm trying to program the dampener to work correctly once the hyperspace engine is activated. Without it, we'd die 10 minutes in hyperspace. Then there's creating thorium fuel cells that are both light and compact while still giving enough energy for hyperspace to work without failing...

My head hurts now. Crazy equations are damaging my brain.

@king_of_manticores, on Jul 16 2008, 06:59 PM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

It is. I'm trying to program the dampener to work correctly once the hyperspace engine is activated. Without it, we'd die 10 minutes in hyperspace. Then there's creating thorium fuel cells that are both light and compact while still giving enough energy for hyperspace to work without failing...

My head hurts now. Crazy equations are damaging my brain.

Whut

All this off-topicness over EV3DMP?

... goes insane
:mad:
I don't know who you are, where you're from, or what you want... But if you threaten my freedom... I'll kill you.

I said nothing about 3d. I have decided that will be single player if I can get what i need from Microsoft for free. Though highly unlikely, it's worth a try.

@eirikr, on Jul 16 2008, 01:55 PM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

Times up 0101181920, Gimme your TC. :broad grin:

Okay, okay, I lied. It'll be more than twenty minutes. Probably around four months. I've got about half the ship graphics in, though. Most time consuming thing left is to rip all the weaponry sprites from pictures. Unless you want to give me weapon sprites from SC? I won't say no.

@oryhara, on Jul 16 2008, 09:51 AM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

Yes. I would also have to learn to code c++ better from my brother. Sadly, he has a D.O.I. on his record and has given up computer/video games forever, so he will not teach me for that purpose.

what the hell is a D.O.I?

D riving O ver the I nfluence?

@jacabyte, on Jul 18 2008, 07:46 PM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

D riving O ver the I nfluence?

dawn of infinity :mellow:

This post has been edited by oryhara : 18 July 2008 - 06:55 PM

∞ is a really big number. Mindboggling, in fact.

@nonconventionally-creative, on Jul 19 2008, 06:58 PM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

∞ is a really big number. Mindboggling, in fact.

Uh, no it's not.

In my day, this level of taunting newbies would have resulted in at least a warning.

Seriously guys, he may be overshooting his abilities, but lighten up a little!

@pp0u20e8, on Jul 19 2008, 11:31 AM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

Uh, no it's not.
In my day, this level of taunting newbies would have resulted in at least a warning.

Seriously guys, he may be overshooting his abilities, but lighten up a little!

?
I don't understand...

@nonconventionally-creative, on Jul 19 2008, 07:35 PM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

?
I don't understand...

Sorry, only the "Uh, no it's not" bit was aimed at you.

The rest was aimed at the previous posters.

Infinity is not a "really big number".

@pp0u20e8, on Jul 19 2008, 11:39 AM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

Infinity is not a "really big number".

Wikipedia said:

In mathematics, "infinity" is often used in contexts where it is treated as if it were a number (i.e., it counts or measures things: "an infinite number of terms") but it is a different type of "number" from the real numbers.

1. You quoted Wikipedia, which, in incredibly accurate terms, says it's "a different type of number from the real numbers" - hmmm... mathematical!

2. It says "treated as if it were a number", thus directly disagreeing with you.

3. Infinity is a concept, not a number. If something is infinitely long, it is neverending. If infinity were a number, something infinitely long would actually be finite, and the lack of logic would cause the universe to implode.

@pp0u20e8, on Jul 19 2008, 12:04 PM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

1. You quoted Wikipedia, which, in incredibly accurate terms, says it's "a different type of number from the real numbers" - hmmm... mathematical!

2. It says "treated as if it were a number", thus directly disagreeing with you.

3. Infinity is a concept, not a number. If something is infinitely long, it is neverending. If infinity were a number, something infinitely long would actually be finite, and the lack of logic would cause the universe to implode.

1. A different type, but still a number. To clarify, "really big" should probably be defined as "of great magnitude"
2. True, but it also contradicts itself. In addition, that may mean, "used in the context of being a number." (see also 3)
3. Infinity is a set of concepts, some of which are numbers. Also, there is nothing in the definition of "number" that requires a number to be finite, and there is this.

@nonconventionally-creative, on Jul 19 2008, 08:54 PM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

1. A different type, but still a number. To clarify, "really big" should probably be defined as "of great magnitude"
2. True, but it also contradicts itself. In addition, that may mean, "used in the context of being a number." (see also 3)
3. Infinity is a set of concepts, some of which are numbers. Also, there is nothing in the definition of "number" that requires a number to be finite, and there is this.

1. Infinity is not a number of great magnitude either.

2. Used in the context of being a number != A number.

3. Please stop quoting wikipedia articles at me, or I'll quote one at you that says that blue is actually yellow and sfseartr is a word.

And as for quoting references:

http://mathforum.org...view/62486.html
http://nrich.maths.o...php?obj_id=2756
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_bigg...r_than_infinity
http://www.galactic-...icles/8R69.html
And a wikipedia one just for you

Basically, those are assumptions based on the way we think of it. The magnitude of infinity is greater than the magnitude of any other number.
http://www.johnath.c...c/infinity.html
Also, the official IEEE 754 floating point specification defines infinity, negative infinity and NaN (not a number) as their own distinct types.

This post has been edited by Nonconventionally Creative : 20 July 2008 - 08:48 PM