Ev Freelancer!

what do you think? Would anyone pay for it?

After I come out with my expansion, my TC would be Ev Freelancer. I would try to add a multilayer function in, directly linking people's computers. (because people don't generally pay for TCs, I will not have the money to set up a server). What's your opinion? Will I be alone?

This post has been edited by oryhara : 16 July 2008 - 10:20 AM

Wait, what? TC for EVN? If you're trying to add multiplayer to the game, good luck.

@mackilroy, on Jul 16 2008, 11:00 AM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

Wait, what? TC for EVN? If you're trying to add multiplayer to the game, good luck.

If I get permission/graphics from microsoft, it should be fairly simple (except for the multiplayer part).

Um, you'd have to change the game engine if I understand correctly. (sarcasm) Good luck with that! (/sarcasm)

This post has been edited by Eirikr : 16 July 2008 - 10:28 AM

@eirikr, on Jul 16 2008, 11:10 AM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

Um, you'd have to change the game engine if I understand correctly. Good luck with that!

Maybe I should keep it single player............ 😮 I guess I don't have THAT much time.

No, I don't think you understand; engine changes are a brick wall for plug-in developers. If you have to do something that requires an engine change, forget about it. No matter how much time you have, you cannot make an engine change, because that's something only the people at ATMOS and AmbrosiaSW can do.

Unless you can get them to release the source code, yeah, forget it. It's hopeless. You'll need to recode the entire game.

@0101181920, on Jul 16 2008, 11:44 AM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

Unless you can get them to release the source code, yeah, forget it. It's hopeless. You'll need to recode the entire game.

Yeah; that's what I meant. I would have to basically recode the game.

If you can do that, then I truly applaud you! 12 years old and can code a game such as EV Nova. I think "pigs are flying" now.

@oryhara, on Jul 16 2008, 09:36 AM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

Yeah; that's what I meant. I would have to basically recode the game.

Unfortunately, you would have to spend years and years of work just coding multiplayer into the game.

@king_of_manticores, on Jul 16 2008, 12:46 PM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

Unfortunately, you would have to spend years and years of work just coding multiplayer into the game.

Yes. I would also have to learn to code c++ better from my brother. Sadly, he has a D.O.I. on his record and has given up computer/video games forever, so he will not teach me for that purpose.

@oryhara, on Jul 16 2008, 09:51 AM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

Yes. I would also have to learn to code c++ better from my brother. Sadly, he has a D.O.I. on his record and has given up computer/video games forever, so he will not teach me for that purpose.

Coding is extremely hard. If you wanted EV Freelancer to be like Nova with multiplayer, like 0101181920 said, you can't, without the source code. Adding multiplayer would be a pain, along with redesigning EVERYTHING. Tens of years would probably be used up just to create all of that.

So unfortunately, a TC would only be possible. It takes not as long, depending on how big the TC is.

@king_of_manticores, on Jul 16 2008, 12:56 PM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

Coding is extremely hard. If you wanted EV Freelancer to be like Nova with multiplayer, like 0101181920 said, you can't, without the source code. Adding multiplayer would be a pain, along with redesigning EVERYTHING. Tens of years would probably be used up just to create all of that.

So unfortunately, a TC would only be possible. It takes not as long, depending on how big the TC is.

It would be as big or bigger than the real freelancer. It might have more than one storyline for starters. I have figured out how to interface controls/weapons/ships, though.

@oryhara, on Jul 16 2008, 10:04 AM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

It would be as big or bigger than the real freelancer. It might have more than one storyline for starters. I have figured out how to interface controls/weapons/ships, though.

Can you design rlëDs, though? Can you design ships with all their 36/64/72/<insert number of frames here> frames? Can you make planets, stations, and whatnot? If you could do that, that would be very interesting to see.

Sounds like years of work would have to be done...

@king_of_manticores, on Jul 16 2008, 01:10 PM, said in Ev Freelancer!:

Can you design rlëDs, though? Can you design ships with all their 36/64/72/<insert number of frames here> frames? Can you make planets, stations, and whatnot? If you could do that, that would be very interesting to see.

Sounds like years of work would have to be done...

I'm busy working on my expansion......I can not work with graphics, but i can make ships, weapons, outfits, descs, spobs, systems, fleets. Having trouble with fleets-check my spob trouble topic.

This would never get anywhere, heh.

Maybe taking that open sourced game Event Horizion (which itself is just a 3d-version of original EV) and adding multiplayer would be more plausable.

This post has been edited by Fireball : 16 July 2008 - 02:01 PM

I'm working on world peace and making Africa not poor. Just give me a few more days.

I'm solving global warming. Almost finished. Will post back here in a couple hours.

I'll finish my TC. Gimme twenty minutes.

Times up 0101181920, Gimme your TC. :broad grin: