Are there any good tcs for stock nova?

@yamfries, on Jul 2 2008, 05:11 PM, said in Are there any good tcs for stock nova?:

I am planning on having a major emphasis on story in EV: Apophis. I have been planning it out for about 3 years now.

Hallelujah! The grail!

He's been planning for 3 years, and unless I am mistaken it will take nearly as long until it is ready to release. But then again, you are 12, therefore you have time. 😉

@eirikr, on Jul 2 2008, 06:06 PM, said in Are there any good tcs for stock nova?:

He's been planning for 3 years, and unless I am mistaken it will take nearly as long until it is ready to release. But then again, you are 12, therefore you have time. 😉

:blink: ......................................................

(EDIT) Don't see where this quote comes in handy. Now...

How to make a super advanced storyline:

-some mission bits (preferably unused)
-(possibly) challenging missions
-a few hundred descriptions

Instructions:

Step 1: Make the missions and their goals.
Step 2: Now that you have the missions and their goals, you will need to make a storyline out of them. To do so, find some unused bits and use them for the storyline.
Step 3: Write a few hundred descriptions about your storyline.

Note: Should you plan to do a longer storyline, be prepared to sit at your computer for a lengthy amount of time.

For best results, it would be nice to add a few outfits, weapons, ships, planets, and systems. Now you have an expansion!

That is the most simple recipe on how to make Super Advanced Storylines.

Seriously, though, you won't be encountering any of those storylines anytime soon. So therefore, MissionComputer/EVNEW is your friend. Because it's summer vacation, you'll be able to make one within a month or two. But like pipeline said, if you're not happy with the stock storylines, and you don't like the storyline of any TC, then writing your own will require the steps above.

This post has been edited by king_of_manticores : 02 July 2008 - 07:09 PM

@king_of_manticores, on Jul 2 2008, 08:08 PM, said in Are there any good tcs for stock nova?:

(EDIT) Don't see where this quote comes in handy. Now...

How to make a super advanced storyline:

-some mission bits (preferably unused)
-(possibly) challenging missions
-a few hundred descriptions

Instructions:

Step 1: Make the missions and their goals.
Step 2: Now that you have the missions and their goals, you will need to make a storyline out of them. To do so, find some unused bits and use them for the storyline.
Step 3: Write a few hundred descriptions about your storyline.

Note: Should you plan to do a longer storyline, be prepared to sit at your computer for a lengthy amount of time.

For best results, it would be nice to add a few outfits, weapons, ships, planets, and systems. Now you have an expansion!

That is the most simple recipe on how to make Super Advanced Storylines.

Seriously, though, you won't be encountering any of those storylines anytime soon. So therefore, MissionComputer/EVNEW is your friend. Because it's summer vacation, you'll be able to make one within a month or two. But like pipeline said, if you're not happy with the stock storylines, and you don't like the storyline of any TC, then writing your own will require the steps above.

O.k.......................................

Spoiler

I don't know how to make missions or planets or systems........

@oryhara, on Jul 2 2008, 08:59 PM, said in Are there any good tcs for stock nova?:

O.k....................................... I don't know how to make missions or planets or systems........

Well let's get crackin'

@oryhara, on Jul 2 2008, 05:59 PM, said in Are there any good tcs for stock nova?:

O.k....................................... I don't know how to make missions or planets or systems........

The planets and systems aren't hard. It's the missions that give EVERYBODY a pain in the neck, no thanks to Mr. NCB System. Well, okay, setting up missions are easy, but making a storyline with NCBs is very difficult.

Good answer. I've come across some very nice ones recently, if you're interested...

NCBs aren't that hard to work with. I do wish there were a way to get arbitrarily many descs to appear in sequence without Sxxx'ing a bunch of auto-aborted missions.

Also, there are several places in EV Firefly where it'd be awesome if there were a way to get tighter control of combat progression. And a way to pop up descs in space that isn't at risk of the player missing them because the screen's still white from the jump when they appear.

None of those responses/hints register....at all.

@oryhara, on Jul 2 2008, 08:59 PM, said in Are there any good tcs for stock nova?:

Well, download an editor and learn! It's a little difficult, sure, but not too hard. Well, missions can be hard, but they're not impossible. And you have a young, healthy, active mind (I hope), so what better time to start than now?

Have you read the Nova Bible? It's incredibly helpful if you're trying to figure out how things work. Also check out The Nova Bible For Dummies if you're having trouble understanding it.

Don't try to make a TC right off the bat, because you'll fail. Make something small... a couple of simple cargo delivery missions at first, then maybe a short string of missions (2-5 max) to get the hang of it. Mess around with modifying some of the in-game resources (if you're going to modify the data files themselves, work on a back-up copy, of course) to get a feel for how things work.

That's how I learned, many years ago (matter of fact, I'm still learning). Sure, I'm not a Nova Dev God like many others here, but I know my way around. With a little work, you too can make plug-ins for yourself (and others) to enjoy.

Anyone can learn to mod Nova to change the outfits, ships etc.

If you want to create a 'super-advanced-storyline', then you need to learn to be a writer first. Write some short stories, or even a novel. There is a flow and passion to a really good storyline based plugin. It's worth (if you can find a machine to play them) downloading Angels of Vengeance and Eye of Orion for Escape Velocity. You will rarely find the power and the passion of those classic plugins in anything written since.

I remember now. There's two additional storyline plug-ins for Nova: Galvenic Pirates and Gonzic Rebellion. These don't expand existing storylines, but rather, they add new storylines.

I'm a bit surprised that no-one has mentioned the Union and Ronin plugs yet. Well written, storyline-intensive plug-ins. Admittedly you need to slog through the Polaris, Vellos or Bounty Hunter storylines, but someone recommended Anathema, and you have to get through the Fed line for that.

EDIT: 200th post!

This post has been edited by Templar98921 : 09 July 2008 - 10:13 PM

&nbsp

This post has been edited by UE_Research & Development: 10 July 2008 - 01:29 AM

Colosseum and Acheron aren't full-fledged TCs? Or are you saying they're bad?

Neither is anywhere near the size of FH. The 'full-fledged' is there explicitly to avoid the implication that they're deficient in quality.

Maybe you should have just said large to avoid confusion, as both are quite small (but bigger than Teacup, Paintball, and Miners).

I think you make a good point. I'm just going to edit out the original before something bad happens.

UE, Is there any possibility that FH could use any testers? I have experience in beta testing and bug fixing, and I :wub: FH. Undoubtedly the best plug ever made (to date). So good that I've almost written fanfiction about it.