MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor

@david-arthur, on Jun 15 2008, 08:11 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor:

Making the custom Open Special files show up in the pop-up menu is one of five entries in my list of things that absolutely need to be done. 🙂 Currently, the available sources are only the current file, and the contents of your Nova Files folder (provided that you've specified it in Preferences).

Ah, specifying my mod folder as Nova Files does the trick nicely. It even limits itself to only showing files containing the proper type of resource, apparently---nice touch.

DA, I got a funny error making an RLEd.
Posted Image

I will say that I accidently selected the wrong sprite image at first, and then selected the correct one. Perhaps MC did something funny because of that? I never had problems before.

Is that the now legendary Rebel Gunboat I see? ^_^

Hehe, made in less than 3 minutes with my top secret method of super-quickly changing color schemes.... Polaris-pink engine glow to go with it? 🙂

@geek, on Jun 15 2008, 09:20 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor:

DA, I got a funny error making an RLEd.

I will say that I accidently selected the wrong sprite image at first, and then selected the correct one. Perhaps MC did something funny because of that? I never had problems before.

Ick. Just selecting a different sprite shouldn't be enough to cause this - and if it were, I would expect to have heard of it by now. I'll do some testing around, but unless you can get it to happen again, I think it's probably just one of those freak things.

Showing the ID's of the descs (and, for that matter, every other hotlinked resource) would be nice for projects where different resource types are spread over multiple files.

New bug for you: If you open a shďp and do nothing other than modify outfit counts, it won't allow you to save the changes until you do something else as well.

Qaanol said in MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor:

Showing the ID's of the descs (and, for that matter, every other hotlinked resource) would be nice for projects where different resource types are spread over multiple files.

All right, I'll look into it - in most cases the main problem will be finding the pixel space for both the ID number and a description of what it refers to.

@archon, on Jun 17 2008, 12:45 AM, said:

If you open a shďp and do nothing other than modify outfit counts, it won't allow you to save the changes until you do something else as well.

I can't reproduce this. I open a ship, click in one of the outfit counts, change it, and the moment I click somewhere else or press return, the dot has appeared in the close box. In fact, it gets marked as changed even if you click in and out without changing anything, which people have complained about before.

Is your procedure any different?

Ah, slight mistake on my part.

What happened was that I opened a ship, changed a number, and then closed the ship box without clicking out of the outfit text. When I clicked out before closing the ship box, it worked fine. May or may not be worth changing.

@archon, on Jun 17 2008, 10:27 AM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor:

May or may not be worth changing.

Changing it would require getting rid of the scrolling list, and I'm not sure how else I could fit everything into the available space, so I think I'll keep it as it is for the moment.

DA, I found a new bug with the wëap editor, akin to the first I found. The sound field always defaults to 400

same here

I thought someone already mentioned that. Or maybe they're just running together in my mind.

I have one more suggestion: sometimes for whatever reason I'll want to exactly replicate a color (for example, making a beam's ionization color the same as it's corona color), which is easiest to do by copying the hexadecimal and pasting it into the appropriate field. It would be nice to have the hex fields back for that purpose.

On my computer, it comes up with the standard Mac color choosing thing. From there, you can drag the color from the big bar over the color wheel into one of the little squares at the bottom, and it saves it. Just click there and it'll select the color.

@geek, on Jun 18 2008, 10:53 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor:

DA, I found a new bug with the wëap editor, akin to the first I found. The sound field always defaults to 400

Fixed, thanks. (The rigging was essentially the same as before, and occurred two lines below it in WriteResource. 🙂 )

@archon, on Jun 18 2008, 10:57 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor:

I have one more suggestion: sometimes for whatever reason I'll want to exactly replicate a color (for example, making a beam's ionization color the same as it's corona color), which is easiest to do by copying the hexadecimal and pasting it into the appropriate field. It would be nice to have the hex fields back for that purpose.

For technical reasons (not to mention interface consistency), I think it's best to use the standard colour picker features for such purposes as 0101181920 suggests, rather than adding an alternative interface element.

Something must have gotten corrupted....4.0.0a7r2 is now failing to launch, with the error:

MissionComputer has encountered a nil object error in the App:MakeCustomOpenSpecial routine that prevents it from running.
Clicking okay leads to a succession of similar errors.

This seems to have occurred because I specified my plug-in directory for the Nova Files folder, and it was on an external drive that wasn't present this time around.

This post has been edited by Lindley : 19 June 2008 - 07:54 PM

@lindley, on Jun 19 2008, 08:52 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor:

This seems to have occurred because I specified my plug-in directory for the Nova Files folder, and it was on an external drive that wasn't present this time around.

I'll take a look at the code for the Open Special menu before I post the next alpha. It's meant to be able to handle this, but perhaps it can't when the whole drive is missing. In the mean time, you can clear the reference by deleting MissionComputer.xml from your Preferences folder.

@archon, on Jun 18 2008, 10:57 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor:

I think I made the same request once, probably with respect to the color field in the syst resource. I have a good work-around now, though, with benefits that help me out system-wide: I've installed the freeware RCWebColorPicker, which adds a pane to OS X's standard color panel that lets you see and change the hexadecimal code. 🆒

EDIT: VersionTracker's DL link is broken; go to the developers own site to find the current version of the panel.

This post has been edited by Dr. Trowel : 19 June 2008 - 09:01 PM

@guy, on Jun 15 2008, 06:56 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor:

Dunno. Maybe 30/falloff = number of frames it takes to fade out. Eg, with falloff=2 it would begin fading at count-30 and finish fading at count-15. Also note that it doesn't fade out completely, you can still see the shot very faintly.

This is correct. The number of frames to fade out is 30/falloff, truncated like most things in Nova. This means a value of 16 will cause a one-frame fade out. I'm not sure what happens if you set it to 31+; my guess is that it treats it as 1 in some fashion. All this is in the Cool Nova Hacks, by the way.

It would be really cool if you could change that to a value for how many frames to take (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 15, or 30, corresponding to values of 30, 15, 10, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1, respectively) coupled with a fade-in or fade-out option when the weapon isn't a beam.

Trowel, I heart you so many. And no, I never beat

Spoiler

XIv5