MissionComputer 4.0a6 - latest alpha now available

That'd be the safest option, which I also use.

@captjosh, on May 9 2008, 10:28 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a6 - latest alpha now available:

And this version is actually better than 3.3.3 even though it's an alpha?

Yes. Alpha means 'unfinished', not 'unstable'. The the experience of others has varied, I've found 4.0 more stable than 3.0 since very early in its development; remember that in addition to adding new features, 4.0 also fixes large numbers of known bugs in 3.x.

Timmytiptoe said:

It has more functions, but my version mixed up the availability of a few outfits.

Can you elaborate on this?

Yeah, I want some more info on that too. I don't want to screw up the Clavius outfits for my plug.

@captjosh, on May 10 2008, 06:05 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a6 - latest alpha now available:

Yeah, I want some more info on that too. I don't want to screw up the Clavius outfits for my plug.

Should there prove to be a bug in the oütf editor, it probably also exists in 3.3.3, since the only significant changes to that editor in 4.0 are bug fixes. The difference is that in 4.0, it has a chance of being fixed.

You make an excellent point Sir. I shall have to use 4.0 instead of 3.3.3. It's either that or Nova Tools for ResEdit, because I'll be damned if I'm going to try to find a copy of EVONE and then a way to crack, as it's not being developed anymore, and so cannot be registered.

I had some outfits with require bits and NCB tests in them and when I saved them and reloaded them the bits were gone, in some cases. Loading them in 3.3.3 showed the same. I am using OS X 10.5.1 on an MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo. Good enough for you?

@timmytiptoe, on May 11 2008, 05:44 AM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a6 - latest alpha now available:

I had some outfits with require bits and NCB tests in them and when I saved them and reloaded them the bits were gone, in some cases.

I can't reproduce anything immediately. Did these resources have anything in common? Did it seem to be correlated with particular settings of those fields more than other values? I've had problems with Contribute/Require back before alpha 1, but issues with the NCB tests seem much stranger, since they're just text strings.

Did the problem resources by any chance make use of the Contribute/Require bits H4 or H8?

H4? H8? Erm... I used the top left column for them.

Bus as I've already repaired the file, I am not sure if the NCB's were wrong, now that I think of it.

They had in common that they used the top left column and some lacked an outfit picture. Maybe that is the problem?

@timmytiptoe, on May 11 2008, 11:20 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a6 - latest alpha now available:

They had in common that they used the top left column and some lacked an outfit picture. Maybe that is the problem?

There's no way the latter could have anything to do with it. Contribute/Require have always been a little strange, but I plugged the potential holes I could see yesterday, which should do the trick. Let me know if you have any more trouble with them, especially starting with the next alpha.

OK, so can you send the last alpha, then?

@timmytiptoe, on May 12 2008, 09:52 AM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a6 - latest alpha now available:

OK, so can you send the last alpha, then?

The latest alpha is available from the first post in this thread, but the most recent changes won't be available until I post alpha 7.

Ok. I'll use 3.3.3 for a while, then.

I'm getting LOTS of crashes with this alpha under 10.4.11 on a G4 Mac. Particularly when I have more than one file open. Usually when I let it sit for a while without doing anything. This also happens with just a single file open, but it takes longer. Doesn't matter if it's a NPIF files or windows .rez files, or a mix of the two.

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 17 May 2008 - 03:11 AM

@captjosh, on May 17 2008, 04:10 AM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a6 - latest alpha now available:

I'm getting LOTS of crashes with this alpha under 10.4.11 on a G4 Mac. Particularly when I have more than one file open. Usually when I let it sit for a while without doing anything.

That's quite odd, especially that it would happen when nothing was going on. Did you have any parallel experiences with previous alphas? The only fundamental difference between a6 and a5 is the Intel-native code, and that couldn't have any effect on a G4.

This is the first one I've tried. I would note that without any files loaded at all, it's perfectly happy to just sit there on the screen that asks if you want to create a Mac plugin, a windows plugin, or just open an existing file. I can only guess that some sort of memory issue is going on. I'm just hoping it's not a bad stick of ram. 128 pin SDRAM isn't exactly easy to come by these days.

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 17 May 2008 - 01:12 PM

Hmm... I can't say I have any ideas right off. Has anyone else experienced problems like this?

Is it possible that what I call a crash is the "random quit" mentioned in another thread? Because this doesn't seem at all random to me.

I don't know if this has since been fixed, but the MC version I'm using 3.3.3b1 seems to have a bug when moving nebu resources around in the galaxy editor. The resources appear to get duplicated with unusual ID numbers, sometimes even overwriting existing ones.

@lindley, on May 20 2008, 10:43 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a6 - latest alpha now available:

I don't know if this has since been fixed, but the MC version I'm using 3.3.3b1 seems to have a bug when moving nebu resources around in the galaxy editor. The resources appear to get duplicated with unusual ID numbers, sometimes even overwriting existing ones.

I've dramatically revamped the star-map editor in 4.0, so I strongly suggest that you try it. In the event that things are still going wrong, I need a report from 4.0 in order to fix it anyway, since things have changed too much from the way they worked in 3.3.3 for me to use it as a basis for tracking anything.