Wormhole / Hypergate question

can I mix aspects of the two?

What I want to do is to have something that opens like a hypergate (that is, you 'L' it and it goes through opening animation then goes into working animation) but that has the instant travel function of a wormhole (no selecting which system to go to, just poof and gone).

So far I am at a loss; is this possible to do?

@ashtar-, on Mar 20 2008, 02:59 AM, said in Wormhole / Hypergate question:

What I want to do is to have something that opens like a hypergate (that is, you 'L' it and it goes through opening animation then goes into working animation) but that has the instant travel function of a wormhole (no selecting which system to go to, just poof and gone).

So far I am at a loss; is this possible to do?

Um, short of having the exit hypgergate sitting on a wormhole you mean?
I don't think so. Sorry.

I can think of only one possibility, and it's a long shot: See if a mission can be activated (or completed, for that matter) upon landing on a hypergate. If it can, you can use Qxxx Mxxx in the misn's OnAccept (or OnSuccess) to jump the player to a destination.

I doubt that works, but it's all I've got.

I assume you've tried simply setting the appropriate field for hypergate animation but leaving it as a wormhole?

Ah, well. I guess wormholes with landing restrictions (so you have to have the proper outfit to use them) will have to do. Thanks for the help guys (and guy).

If anyone cares, the idea I was trying to implement was that there would be areas in space where 'rifts' were possible to open, but you had to have the correct equipment to do so–attained after completing the requisite 'test this crap for us' mission string. The reason I didn't want to use hypergates relates to how the rifts facilitate high speed travel. When one enters a rift, one is transported to a corresponding exit rift in 'null space,' a sort of alternate dimension represented by a small number of systems far to the north and unconnected to the rest of the universe. The idea is that you enter a rift to null space, jump to a neighboring null space system, enter another rift, and come out in a system many normal jumps away. There would, of course, be a number of weird extra-dimensional aliens to hinder your progress. Hypergates wouldn't work, because you'd have to scroll the map to click on the system you end up in–thus revealing that the alternate dimension is really just far north on the map screen, and the scrolling is annoying.

This post has been edited by ashtar. : 23 March 2008 - 03:46 PM