Add-ons page

The thing is, you can't really rely on most uploaders to check the required check boxes, and it's a bit much to expect DA and the other Addon Page maintainers to do it. I don't want to sound like a naysayer, but while the idea seems good in theory, I'm not sure how well it'd work in practice.

Edit: On a side note, I think it'd be funnier if the check box read "This plug-in has been proofred and spell-chekked" 🙂

This post has been edited by Belthazar : 05 February 2008 - 05:04 PM

I dunno, something sorta similar works on deviantart.com relatively well and there is a much larger range and number of uploaders to that site. In our case it could be sort of similar to youtube keywords, except one only gets a certain number of options.

Belthazar: Daedal catachresis.

I'm not certain if that would go down too well as a plugin category, Q. 😛

If anything, the additional category should be "With storyline(s)".

Bloody TC developers thinking they are better 😉

@pace, on Feb 6 2008, 07:55 AM, said in Add-ons page:

Bloody TC developers thinking they are better 😉

I’ve never understood why ‘TC’ was considered a meaningful category, or been sure when it came into use — it certainly wasn’t around back when I was on escape-velocity.com. ‘With storylines’ has some merit, though.

escape-velocity.com? What's that?

Back when the original Escape Velocity was released, Ambrosia gave it its very own web site: www.escape-velocity.com. It had its own forums, plug-ins page, and was the center of EV fandom on the web. It stayed around through the release of Override. Sometime after that, the site was taken down and its features were incorporated into Ambrosia's web site.

For a long time, www.escape-velocity.com would redirect to Ambrosia's home page, but it seems that the last vestiges of its presence have finally vanished into the ether.

I'd better stop now... I'm getting all nostalgic. 😞

@david-arthur, on Feb 6 2008, 11:25 AM, said in Add-ons page:

I’ve never understood why ‘TC’ was considered a meaningful category, or been sure when it came into use — it certainly wasn’t around back when I was on escape-velocity.com. ‘With storylines’ has some merit, though.

My guess is that they're considered as such because the Nova universe feels much less open-ended than those of EV and EVO. Consequently, there's the perceived need to create one's own universe, rather than simply exploring the Novaverse further. The prestige that accompanies the completion and release of a full-fledged TC, I imagine, plays into it as well.

My general feeling is that, given the incredible amount of work that must necessarily go into completing a full-fledged TC, we'd be better off as a community if more people put their efforts into creating scenarios set in and expanding the existing universe (Pale and Clavius from EV, for instance, and ARPIA II and Anathema are good examples). These would fit well into the "With storylines" category, and would generally be more likely to reach completion than a TC.

TCs have their place, by all means, but... oops, better stop before I get too far off topic.

Heh, I think I remember escape-velocity.com. Mind you, I didn't really hang around, I just downloaded a bunch of plugins and wandered off again. When I tried to come back later to re-download a plugin that I seemed to have lost, I couldn't find it any more...

But I digress. 🙂